The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 25, 2016, 04:44 AM   #1
shooterdownunder

glock 34 in ipsc

apologies if this is a stupid question but i'm confused as to why this model is apparently so popular.

I can understand it being popular in production as prod is always scored minor but the 34 is specifically excluded from this division.

The sight radius would be nice in standard but being 9mm you'd still be limited to minor whilst others would be shooting in major.

I suspect there's something very obvious that i'm missing as it does appear to be a very popular gun.
Old January 25, 2016, 08:05 AM   #2
lmccrock

IPSC or USPSA? Glock 34 is on the approved list for the U.S.

Lee
Old January 25, 2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Jim Watson

From his alias, I suspect the OP really meant IPSC.

I don't understand, either, and not just IPSC or just Glock 34.
There seem to be a lot of people shooting Limited Minor these days when they don't have to. Are they so accurate that the lighter recoil is worth it? Or are they so cheap they won't buy or load .40 or .45?
Old January 25, 2016, 10:05 AM   #4
g.willikers

Maybe USPSA/IPSC needs to go back to just two divisions - Open and Not Open, (Limited), with Major and Minor scoring in each, like it used to was.
Before it was decided to complicate things with all these divisions to level the playing field, run whatcha' brung worked just fine didn't it?
Old January 25, 2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Jim Watson

In those days, there was less choice about what to bring.
I think L10 came about when Sedro Wooley got worried that they might be connected with sales of "spare parts" for full capacity magazines during the AWB of 1994-2004.
Production seems to have been meant to offer an economical division in response to IDPA SSP.
Revolver and Single Stack are to provide a home for those obsolete guns.
Old January 25, 2016, 11:21 AM   #6
lmccrock

In the US, a number of states have magazine limits. Limited 10 and Production (in USPSA) support them, and Production adds a lower cost of entry.

And I missed the OP's mention of "standard", so looks like IPSC.

The G34 and Limited minor are popular in the US because of 3-gun, where the most popular division in most matches allows what is basically a Limited Minor pistol. So, just one pistol for both 3-gun and USPSA.
Old January 25, 2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Kosh75287

Quote:
Revolver and Single Stack are to provide a home for those obsolete guns.
I had to smile as I read this sentence, and recall a man stranger who shot at our IDPA match one time (mercifully) with a 4" S&W M19, and beat EVERYONE, including a soon-to-be State-level competitor, using an enhanced CZ-75. Seems he was just in town, visiting in-laws, when he'd heard about the local match. We also learned he'd just been medically retired from from DOJ.

Obsolete? I sorta doubt it. It comes back to the deciding factor more often being the man, not the weapon.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 25, 2016, 01:01 PM   #8
9x45

CZ's and Glock's about the same for USPSA. The reason Glocks don't do well in Australia for IPSC is because they shoot high and to the right, in the US, they shoot low and left. A Glock is just a hammer, they pretty much run forever, and after you pull the trigger 100,000 times, it will seem normal.
Old January 25, 2016, 04:22 PM   #9
shooterdownunder

Yes I meant IPSC which is why I wrote IPSC rather than USPSA.
Australia is a little special as our calibre limits generally restrict us to minor regardless of division (except for one state at the moment.)
But even in countries not limited by this the 34 seemed overly popular. I thought I was missing something but apparently not.

Thanks all.
Old January 26, 2016, 10:51 AM   #10
9x45

95% of targets in competition are 3-15 yards, so personally I don't see where the G34 does anything better the a G17, little more sight radius, but a little slower cycling time. Again for USPSA Production and IPSC Standard, the 9mm is the ticket. Plus I know you guys down under are big on heavy 9mm bullets, heard some guys are running 175 grains.
Old February 17, 2016, 03:56 AM   #11
bamaranger

one gun

I agree with the "one gun" theory. Not only does it go in 3gun and USPSA, but it fits in the IDPA box. So one gun, 3 disciplines, and in 9mm, a tad cheaper to shoot.

For me, it runs flatter than our G17,and the real advatage currently, is that the slightly longer sight radius allows me to get the front sight in focus a bit easier with aging eyes.

On bamaboy's G17L, the front sight is even easier for me to see. But it don't fit in the box.
Old February 17, 2016, 10:38 AM   #12
9x45

Bam, thats because your sights don't have enough light between the front and rear for your old eyes, like mine. The OEM G17 and G17L use the same sights, but the G17L lets more like in. I don't use OEM sights, but rather Heines, and the fix is to wide cut the rear or get narrower front blades, go down from .125" to .115" to .105" on Dawson fronts. Shown is one of my G17's with the rear cut to .180" from the original .135" opening (front is a .125"). On my G17L's I open the rear to .150" and it gives the same aspect ratio because of the longer sight radius.

Old February 17, 2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Sharkbite

Quote:
but a little slower cycling time.
??? Can someone please explain why a 34 would cycle slower then a 17?
Old February 17, 2016, 11:17 AM   #14
9x45

The G 34 weights about .7 ounces more than a G 17, and the weight is in the slide, so it does cycle a bit slower, you can feel it in competition, especially Steel Challenge.
Old February 17, 2016, 11:19 AM   #15
9x45

Bam, found a better picture where the front sight is in focus, like what you actually see. These are black on black Heines wide cut.

Old February 18, 2016, 01:33 AM   #16
bamaranger

alas

I've hijacked this post I fear, poor form, sorry.

Mr. 9 x45 I will PM you.