The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1
mynameismud

Handgun preferences

I would like to possibly design guns and parts as a career and am trying to get more involved in the community. I was wondering about some preferences people had about handguns. What are the most important features to you? And for DA/SA guns, would you rather have a longer softer pull or a short harder one? (would be same total poundage) Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old November 29, 2012, 02:04 AM   #2
AndyWest

Welcome to the forums, mud!

You'll find limitless variation in opinions and preferences, and people can be extremely attached to theirs. I'm no gunsmith, but if I were you, I'd rent, borrow, buy and shoot every gun and caliber I possibly could. Figure out what YOU like best and think about ways to innovate and improve on it.

Personally I like a long but not too heavy DA pull for safety, followed by a short, smooth, light SA. Some instances I like a poly frame, sometimes metal. I always appreciate the option of any sort of safety.

Best of luck in your career, but it won't be easy
Old November 29, 2012, 02:29 AM   #3
mynameismud

Ya I was gonna go with polymer frame already. I was also gonna have backstraps plus the option of interchangeable sidestraps much like the p30. I was also thinking striker fired with a 3 position safety (fire, safe, decock) and standard drop and trigger safties. I was mainly wondering about how people felt about things like finger grooves, walther/hk style mag releases, sight preferences, etc. Or preferably something I hadn't thought of.
As far as shooting goes, I'm trying my best, however I'm in a fairly liberal part of CA and my family doesn't own any guns. I'm starting to figure out some preferences though. And thank you for the welcome
Old November 29, 2012, 02:33 AM   #4
mynameismud

As far as the trigger goes, I was thinking a much stiffer spring, however shorter pull to give the same weight. I thought it would give more of a "wall", but it would be a different feel than most DA pulls, and was wondering if that would jerk to much after the release. Also, having a shorter DA pull would give less slack to take up on the design I have in mind, so I thought that would be a plus too. Then again I could be way off base too.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:05 AM   #5
AndyWest

My opinions:

I think most everybody appreciates changeable backstraps and grips. Less common on a poly frame due to the simple, thin, lightweight design. A thin factory poly grip with the option to screw on a bigger grip like a Hogue is cool.

I'm not sure how a striker-fired decocker would work since you'd have to rack the slide to re-cock it, thus ejecting a round. Unless you innovate

How about a changeable front strap since people have different finger sizes and groove preferences? I prefer the thumb button mag release. Sights depend on the application, but removeable front and rear are a huge plus for me. You're surely not off-base, as long as your trigger is quality it will find a place.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Skans

Quote:
I would like to possibly design guns and parts as a career and am trying to get more involved in the community. I was wondering about some preferences people had about handguns. What are the most important features to you? And for DA/SA guns, would you rather have a longer softer pull or a short harder one? (would be same total poundage) Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Here are the things important to me:
1. excellent fit, finish, machining and overall quality
2. large capacity in a non-carry gun
3. concealability in a carry gun
4. DA/SA trigger, where the trigger feels close to a true SA trigger with hammer cocked.
5. reasonable durability, but not sacrificed at the expense of fit, finish and quality.
6. Reliability, but if #1 is satisfied, this will be the natural result.
7. Reasonable accuracy, but if #1 is satisfied, this should be the natural result
8. No plastic parts - steel preferable, stainless ok, titanium ok for some apps., personal preferrance is I hate aluminum - and I have good reasons.
9. No trigger dingus safety
10. No obnoxious Ruger-style pop-up chamber indicator

Basically, if you can make something Korth quality at a reasonable price - including profit, I'll be your first customer!!!
Old November 29, 2012, 10:43 AM   #7
AndyWest

I don't hate plastic or the trigger dingus safety (e.g. Glock), but all equal I do prefer metal and a manual safety. Otherwise I agree 100% with everything Skans said. I absolutely love chambers with the little cut-out so you can actually see chambered brass.

Anything might be a carry gun so smoothness all-around is nice, sometimes called a "melt" treatment. But yeah, for a concealed carry / backup gun small size is more important than capacity.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Skans

Quote:
I absolutely love chambers with the little cut-out so you can actually see chambered brass.
I like that system a whole lot better than Ruger's pop-up chamber indicator like the one on my LC9.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:10 PM   #9
AndyWest

Eww, that LC9 indicator does look stupid and seems it could be annoying when re-holstering. Might as well just put it on the extractor, unless it's supposed to help when sighting?
Old November 29, 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
GlockieWa

For what purpose? For concealed carry I prefer my sub-compact 9mm Glock 26. For home defense I prefer my Colt 1911. For range shooting and tactical training I prefer my Glock 17 then Colt 1911
Old November 29, 2012, 11:15 PM   #11
mynameismud

Well thank you for all your input. I was considering an interchangeable front grip but thought it might be too much. I was going to have various models, one of which being concealed carry with all the corners rounded and smoothed out in general and single stack for a thinner profile. Thanks again for all the advice. Also, why do you say all metal instead of polymer frame? And the decocker would just drop the striker. You could then recock it if you really wanted (wasting a round) or just fire it double action
Old November 30, 2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
Eww, that LC9 indicator does look stupid and seems it could be annoying when re-holstering.
It does look stupid and ugly, but in all honesty it doesn't get in the way of anything - I've never had it snag, and if I did, I'd simply file down the part that touches the shell so that it would stay flat.