The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2015, 10:11 AM   #1
ezmiraldo

Mossberg customer service rocks!

Called them this morning to order cartridge interrupter for my 500, told the lady that I've messed up my original one during dry-fire practice yesterday (don't ask... ) and that I wanted to buy a replacement.

Not only were they willing to ship one to me FOR FREE, but they also wanted to include for free a cartridge stop (in case I wasn't sure about which exact part I broke).

Took all of 5 minutes from placing the call to hanging up. No asking for firearm ID number. No asking if I was the original owner. No B.S. Did I mention that shipping and handling was free, also?! For the part that I broke?!! Now, THAT, is what I call an exceptional customer service!! Way to go, Mossberg!!!
Old February 6, 2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Blindstitch

That's good to hear.

I to had a good experience with Mossberg over a 500c Superbantam that came stock with a recoil pad, spacer and second recoil pad. The original owner lost the short recoil pad which I needed.

I told Mossberg it was bought used and I was missing the part and even then they shipped me the short pad, spacer, and longer recoil pad for free. This was in September 2014.

You can't beat a good company like Mossberg.
Old February 7, 2015, 10:23 AM   #3
1-DAB

good to hear this about Mossberg. considering buying a shotgun, they are on my short list. will have to see what the gun shop has in hand when i stop by.

or...Mossberg could ship me a mess of 20 ga options to pick from
Old February 7, 2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Virginian

Not long ago someone on another forum was dogging Mossberg CS and they let him have it. I have found Mossberg and Remington to both have excellent CS over many years. Weatherby is consistently good too. I have had at least some difficulty at one time or another will all the rest.
Old February 7, 2015, 08:12 PM   #5
BlueSmoke14

Right On...!!!!

My past experiences with Mossberg and sending guns to their Eagle Pass, TX has been great.
Old February 8, 2015, 02:08 AM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
Mossberg could ship me a mess of 20 ga options to pick from
Maybe you could tell them the gun you bought is missing ALL the parts
Old February 8, 2015, 05:41 AM   #7
turkeestalker

In the past I've had a couple of very good experiences with Mossberg myself. The most recent being that this past Christmas I bought shotguns for both my sons, one came with two modified choke tubes and no full choke tube. Called them and had a full choke via FedEx in 4 business days.
There was one bad experience though. A couple of years ago I picked up a pristine used 500 in 410 with absolutely beautiful wood, very unique. Looked to have never been fired. Had a blast with my sons busting clays with it. Wasn't long and it began suffering light primer strikes, and over a fairly short period of time their frequency increased to about every 3rd or 4th shot. I took the gun apart a few times looking for an obvious problem, even the bolt itself. Finally called them and though by the serial number they said it was built in 98 and well out of warranty, they would be happy to fix it almost certainly free of charge. I carefully wrapped the broken down shotgun which was still unmarred in 3/4 inch foam, packing foam into the blank spaces in an appropriate sized box so that there was zero movement and it was more than adequately protected on all sided and between the pieces. The turn around was quick, maybe 10 days, but when I got it back there are two dings into the wood on the front edge of the pistol grip portion of the stock. They are easily 1/8 to 3/16 deep completely through the finish! OUCH! They stated in writing what they had done to the shotgun which included a completely new bolt and trigger assembly free of charge. Free of cost depends on your perspective when I am staring at the dings and feeling them under my fingers while shooting it. The boys and I took it once again on a clay bird shoot and it suffered once again from a light primer strike on the 5th trigger pull, and the 7th, and the 9th! The problem is now worse than when I sent it in with a new bolt and trigger assembly. I'm not too confident in their CS any longer, though I have 3 other Mossberg shotguns in different configurations currently and have had others in the past without issue. Like I said I even bought two this past Christmas for my sons, but I doubt I'll ever send one back to them again.
In all fairness to them, I did not make a formal complaint about the damage, so they did not have a chance to attempt to right the problem. Perhaps they would have been willing to, but I've never seen wood like this on any Mossberg, and my fear is that what they would replace it with would not even compare.

Last edited by turkeestalker; February 8, 2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old February 9, 2015, 12:00 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I sent a shotgun back to them that I'd bought NIB and had a problem. THey got it back to me quickly. I've not tested it yet. I didn't find talking to them on the phone pleasant. They didn't seem to care at all about my problem and just wanted to get me off the line. I've dealt with only a few other firearms companies CS, but all were better experiences.
Old February 28, 2015, 10:36 AM   #9
droptrd

I had a similar situation with mossy also.

I own 4 x 500s and an 835. When I bought my 4th 500 a couple years ago it had feeding problems right out of the box. I called them and explained what I thought the problem was. They quickly shipped me a cartridge stop and interrupter for free. This didn't fix the problem. I called them back and with in a few minutes they emailed me a shipping label for fedex. I dropped the gun off at fedex a week later. Exactly 8 days after I left fedex my repaired gun was at my door. All free of charge. This gun is now my favorite 500.