The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2015, 12:29 PM   #1
ratrodney

low buck semi auto.

Lookin for a low budget floor sweeper. Semi auto..12 gauge.
Want to get it with or customize it to a pistol grip"no buttstock" and mount a foreward grip on it. Short n tactical.
Lookin at Charles Daly....Linberta...Ect....
Any suggestions? Tnx, RR
Old January 14, 2015, 03:21 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

A pistol grip "no buttstock" shotgun is a tv and movie prop that is the most useless thing on the Planet. You have zero control. Low end kit usually means no aftermarket stuff anyway.
Old January 14, 2015, 03:36 PM   #3
the rifleer

Don't buy a cheap turkish gun. I know some people claim they are great, but i had one (cz 712) fire out of battery and destroy it.

save up and buy a quality gun. I knows thats hard to do, but its worth it. The cheapest semi auto gun I would buy is a fanchi or remington 11-87.
Old January 14, 2015, 04:23 PM   #4
SARuger

Stoeger makes one in the $425 range but I would go the extra $150 and get the 11-87
Old January 14, 2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

I believe he meant that the Linberta and Charles Daly are Turkish made. Buying a low price semi is a dumb move if you expect it to be reliable. A lot of folk get the Mossberg semi, but a lot have problems. I prefer the 870, but their pump seems to be pretty good.

Get a good used gun before a new POS and go with a forget a pistol grip.
Old January 14, 2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Virginian

Quote:
Get a good used gun before a new POS and go with a forget a pistol grip.
Best advice you can get.
Old January 14, 2015, 08:28 PM   #7
baddarryl

I'd find an old Rem 1100 on the racks and do what I wanted to it. They can be had relatively cheap.
Old January 14, 2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

You might ask around local gun clubs and check for sale sections of shotgun forums such as TFL. In particular check trapshooters.com. for a Remington 1100 or 11-87.
Old January 31, 2015, 12:51 AM   #9
publius

Cheap and semi-auto don't go together. Good semi's just aren't cheap.
Old January 31, 2015, 01:21 AM   #10
Strafer Gott

Used 1100 vs new 1100 = one helluva deal. They will fail on occasion. You can even find them pre-cut. I wouldn't cut one myself. It's a shortcut to a new front tooth. That would make the 1100 experience a bit more costly.
Old January 31, 2015, 03:06 AM   #11
Bake

If you want a expensive semi auto, just spend a couple hundred bucks on some POS, spend another couple hundred bucks on crap, to make it look, cool. You will save money on ammo, because it breaks or jams before you can shoot much.

Now on the other hand, if you want a inexpensive shotgun, try looking at the name brands like; Remington (at least 50,000 rds.), Benelli (my has around 65,000 rds.), Beretta (at least 65,000 rds.), Browning (a lot ), Winchesters (as many rds.), and even the Mossbergs (45,000 rds.). Of course you will burn a lot of ammo with these shotguns, but you won't be sending them back for warrant repair......Divide the cost of these guns by the number of shots, and suddenly they're cheaper than the marked down POS...

Last edited by Bake; January 31, 2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old January 31, 2015, 08:27 AM   #12
Thunderkiss

Quote:
Cheap and semi-auto don't go together. Good semi's just aren't cheap.
Excellent advice there. Until last year I had never owned a semi-auto shotgun because I didn't want to waste $500 on a new cheaper gun and run the risk of getting a lemon. I saved up and at 37 years old I bought my first semi-auto, a Browning Maxus. Less than 30 days later I scraped up the money for an A-5. Regret waiting all those years to buy one but it was a lot easier to part with the money after the first one.

As for the pistol grip with no butt stock, why?
Old January 31, 2015, 10:05 AM   #13
FITASC

Personally I wouldn't get pistol grips BUT if you are dead set on that, at least get the bird's head style and not the straight-down AR style for the rear grip

Old February 2, 2015, 02:18 PM   #14
Virginian

I think you're low on your round counts. Every one of those guns should go way over 100,000.
Old February 2, 2015, 02:40 PM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
pistol grip "no buttstock" shotgun is a tv and movie prop that is the most useless thing on the Planet.
+1.

Taking the stock off a shotgun makes hitting anything with it outside of contact distance much more difficult. It's point shooting without the pointing part ...... which is just shooting.
Old February 2, 2015, 03:32 PM   #16
Bake

Quote:
I think you're low on your round counts. Every one of those guns should go way over 100,000.
Well, you might be right, next time I'm back there, I'll bring; the gun, the birds, and the thrower, and you bring the shells, and we run a little experiment.

Last edited by Bake; February 2, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old February 12, 2015, 03:45 AM   #17
bamaranger

+1

Seconds to all comments about pistol grips and hard to shoot and useless past near contact distance. And I put the funky vertical foregrips in that useless category as well. The "floor sweeping" shotgun is just another myth. All shotguns need to be aimed/pointed reasonably, , and those two accessories do not help with that at all.

Where space is at an absolute premium, the old Remington top folder stock seemed a good compromise. Folded, it stored well, unfolded, it shot OK. Still, Nearly useless when shot folded.
Old February 12, 2015, 06:02 PM   #18
Virginian

I'm well into the experiment of the Remingtons; way past 100,000. You pick one of the others and we'll recruit a third volunteer to do the other one.
Old February 12, 2015, 07:00 PM   #19
Bake

We'll let the third guy bring the "Irish" and do most of the throwing...
Old February 14, 2015, 12:03 AM   #20
Onward Allusion

If you must have POS, then definitely +1 on the bird's head grip. Add a laser or tightly focused light, because there's no easy way to acquire your target.
Old February 15, 2015, 04:26 AM   #21
eastbank

a bayonet lug would be a good idea too. eastbank.
Old February 16, 2015, 11:42 PM   #22
Lee Lapin

You'll have to find a semiauto design without a bolt return spring and tube in the buttstock, if you want to shorten it that much. Not a lot of those around, the old High Standard Supermatic is the only one I can recall offhand.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 17, 2015, 02:06 AM   #23
Smith and Wesson

Lee Lapin beat me to it, but you'll have to find a semi auto with no action spring (or recoil or return spring or whatever you want to call it) in its stock. The vast majority of semi autos have their action spring in the stock. And finding one that doesn't have the spring in the stock is hard enough, but you'd also have to find an affordable one that has aftermarket options, so you can find a pistol grip. Good luck. (Seriously)
Old February 17, 2015, 08:04 PM   #24
Virginian

High Standard Supermatic is NOT on the list of dependable actions, either.
Old February 20, 2015, 11:22 AM   #25
TomADC

We discussed that over here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...eapest+shotgun