The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 30, 2008, 08:35 PM   #51
Yithian

I got a free sample of Nanolube...

And it worked for me.
My 3.5 Lb trigger became 2 Lbs.
My Saiga's action is too smooth now. It cycles so fast, for the length of the 308Win cartridge brass, that it catches the brass with the bolt face and stove-pipes it, while feeding one fresh one in the breach.

I have the action on video and have verified, the action is working correctly.
It's just too fast for the long casing to get out of the way.

This was not seen until Nanolube was applied.

Sorry you were unable to receive a free sample.

So far, the results are that it does work.
There are those that have polished actions and were hoping it would help even more.
Well, I can understand its lack of results in those cases.
How 'smooth' can a 'smooth action' be made? Apparently, not enough for human fingers to tell the difference.
I have applied it only to firearms that have never seen a gunsmith.
None of mine have been polished or honed. And, to tell the truth, without a scale to measure the trigger, I wouldn't have thought there was any difference either. A 3.5Lb 'snap' of a trigger is just too hard for me to discern compared to a 2Lb 'snap'.

ATTT has many firearms he used it on, and saw fast results on some of them.
His old 45 pistol, with a nappy trigger, was the biggest difference.

Nano never said to not use any other lube.
He just stated that it helps reduce friction, and its symptoms it creates.

Edit...
OOPSIE, I didn't realize that this wasn't originally a Nano thread.
Blame 'Wilson'
...and 'Temp'. LOL
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...94#post2968594
Now you guys have me wondering whether WS will be a good lube to apply over the Nanolube when its carrier evaporates.
Old July 31, 2008, 08:34 PM   #52
Jermtheory

i used my free sample(NL) on my 92 and Griptilian...

dont see any difference from WS on the 92 (other than the WS seems to stay put better) and very little difference on the Griptilian.im not sure if the Griptilian had been lubed at all prior to the NL(if it had it was by Benchmade at the factory).

$25 an OZ??!!

does that come with any diamonds i can see?
Old July 31, 2008, 09:45 PM   #53
Lavid2002

Can I have a free sample?
Old August 1, 2008, 09:20 AM   #54
Breakdaddy

I was skeptical about this product, but instead of ripping into folks who post their anecdotal evidence about the product I just bought a small bottle and tried it out. My honest appraisal of the product is that it is a good product with excellent lubrication functionality but as a cleaner isn't quite up to Hoppes #9. It is, however, better than Breakfree at cleaning and less messy. All three of these products feature prominently in my cleaning kit. Weapon Shield also has been good at protecting my leatherman wave, which I lightly coat with the product once every couple of months or so.
Old August 8, 2008, 09:33 AM   #55
rgates

I'm impressed enough with Weapon Shield I don't care to even try anything else as long as Weapon Shield's price doesn't double. I've not used anything else that could even compare. There are other super lubes out there I've not tried but they are also quite pricey in comparison.
A little goes a long, long way and I've still used approximately 13oz. over about a little over a year. I just called and ordered a 4oz. bottle because I think I'll prefer working with that size bottle. I also prefer the dropper top.
Probably in a couple months I'll order another 16oz. to refill the 4.
Old August 9, 2008, 11:35 AM   #56
ssilicon

Okay update on my sample of Weaponshiled. So far I like this stuff.

1. Cleaning seems to work as well as the former product I used (Break Free CLP). I do think solvents are superior at cleaning and do use them when there is an extreme tough job or to remove cosmoline or whatever from a new gun. Other than that I find the effectiveness of WS CLP (and BF CLP for that matter) to work well enough for cleaning.

2. Lubricating. I am not a machine and can only go by feel. WS CLP seems to lubricate just as well (maybe even better) than other lubes or CLPs I've used.

3. Protecting. Again, this is hard for me to gauge. I can say I do not have any corrosion after using this product. But, I never had any before either except for one gun that got a bit of slight surface rust in a couple spots while storred for many years in a cloth based gun case. Also, I have only really started to use this stuff.

What I know for sure is that I like that it is touted to be non toxic, and also doesn't have a strong smell. And what smell it does have is not obnoxious. BF CLP I believe is toxic, and although the liquid oil doesn't reek too badly, the aerosol BF CLP is for some reason NASTY! I would never let smell or non toxic features make me choose it over a more effective function, but the fact that it seems to function as well or better, the acceptable odor and non toxicity is a welcome feature for sure!

The only concern I have left to deal with before I place an order for full size bottles is how well it will function well into the sub zero tempeartures. Some of my guns get used when it is 20 below outside and need to work slick then too.

ANyone have any experience with sub zero temps with WS CLP?
Old August 9, 2008, 06:56 PM   #57
rgates

Not sub-zero I'm afraid but I do know it still functions very well at 15 all day. Just as well as at 80.
Old August 9, 2008, 08:15 PM   #58
ssilicon

Quote:
Not sub-zero I'm afraid but I do know it still functions very well at 15 all day. Just as well as at 80.
Thanks rgates. Did you mean you are afraid it doesn't work so good at sub zero temps (but does at around 15 and above), or did you mean you're afraid you have no specific knowledge of its function at sub zero temps but do know it works at 15 and above? I presume you meant the latter but I just want to be sure.

Anyone else? How about George the engineer? How does this stuff work in the COLD?
Old August 9, 2008, 09:43 PM   #59
workinwifdakids

1) If Militec-1 does not resist corrosion, what do you use after you treat the weapon with it?

2) Does Weapon Shield work as well as Militec-1?
Old August 10, 2008, 10:36 AM   #60
rgates

I meant I have no knowledge of sub zero performance but I do know from my experiences it works as well at 15 as it does in hot temps. Based on what I've seen, I have to believe it would work well at 20 below. I'm just old enough that I won't be out there to find out.LOL
I'm impressed enough with it at everything above 15 that if I were to regularly hunt or whatever in subzero temps it would be worth at least the price of a 4oz. bottle to try it.
The 15 degree day was with several friends out for a day of shooting and we had that one day to shoot before one was leaving for Iraq. So it was all day at 15 degrees with a 20 mph wind or nothing. There were NO issues and everything functioned flawlessly. 10/22's, M-4, several pistols, an AK and several bolt actions, but I always felt the real test was with the semi-autos.
As far as corrosion protection, it's also the best I've seen.
As far as cleaning, my guns have never been as easy to clean.
Lube, triggers and actions feel lighter and smoother.
Old August 10, 2008, 10:58 AM   #61
rgates

And before anyone asks....No, I don't sell Weapon Shield. I tell everyone about it for purely selfish reasons. I want their business to thrive so I can always get it.

George, Don't you dare ever stop making this stuff. If you do, I'll show up on your doorstep looking for a 55 gal drum.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:41 AM   #62
gcfennell

whew

I think we'll contine to make it for a good while, if all it ever yields for me is the satisfation of saving lives on and off the battlefields and streets.

Sorry Guys...
After all that crap with my OA-Fibro-Myalgia and MS, I got nailed Christmas Eve with Congestive Heart Failure.
I have 20% good muscle left, not a candidate for bypass, but am managing pretty well, given the fact that I really hate lemonade but become rapidly accustom to whatever it is I need to do in order to stay in the ballgame a bit longer.
Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes guys...you have no idea how much they were and are appreciated.
Gonna get back in the saddle again and giver 'er another go.

My best regards and wishes for you all in 2009

George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com

Last edited by gcfennell; January 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old January 22, 2009, 01:03 AM   #63
silvrjeepr

Sorry to hear about your condition George. Just keep kicking guy. I think Ssilicon's no bs review sold me. I'll be looking you guys up as I become in need this summer.

Nanolube guy:
Why in the world would I buy a lube that contains an abrasive? Without a third party three ball wear test, I'm not getting near this...

whole diamond - excellent glass cutter and makes great scribes
crushed diamonds - seen most often on cutting blades
nano diamonds - LUBRICANT???
Old January 22, 2009, 04:57 AM   #64
eddyb74

I'm in Mt. Lebanon, where can I get a tube?
Old January 26, 2009, 08:37 PM   #65
rgates

George,

Hope you're feeling better. Hang in there.

Prayers and best wishes.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:31 PM   #66
vytoland

Weapon Shield is the only product i use to clean my hand guns.

i have tried other products in the past, but weapon shield is superior in cleaning and protecting my guns
Old January 27, 2009, 07:49 PM   #67
gcfennell

Cold

Thanks so much guys..l.will do and am doing so

Ssilicon,

As per your question:
"Anyone else? How about George the engineer? How does this stuff work in the COLD?"

Down to minus 74 deg F sir...no problem at all.

Best regards,
George
Old January 29, 2009, 06:56 PM   #68
rgates

I aint trying it out in Alaska....but I am looking forward to late Feb, maybe march and start on my new 16oz. bottle.
Old February 3, 2009, 12:30 AM   #69
gcfennell

More from Iraq

Another correspondance from our guys and gals in Iraq and Afganistan.
Best regards,
George

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:41 AM
To: 'George C. Fennell, L.E.'
Subject: Weapon Shield Samples

Hi George

Many thanks for the samples of Weapon Shield that you sent to me.

I tested your product on various firearms while I was home on R&R and was really impressed. They all felt smoother after applying Weapon Shield, even an old Norinco 1911 that is not known for being a smooth pistol!

I’ve now returned to Iraq and over the last month have used your product on Glock and Browning pistols, AK47s and PKM light machine guns. All the firearms felt a lot smoother after applying Weapon Shield. I also found that Weapon Shield does not get gummy due to the heat generated by firing or from the cold weather. I also noticed that Weapon Shield does not evaporate and disappear like other products that we have been using in the sandpit.

I have given a couple of samples to other experienced shooters, instructors/operators in Iraq and they have all given me very positive feedback. Good feedback for a new product in an old and competitive industry is not always easy to come by!
It says a lot for Weapon Shield that these experienced shooters have asked me for more of your product!

Having spent 30 years in the firearms training industry and working on various high risk units I have used many, many products that proclaimed to be the shooters salvation! Weapon Shield has impressed me and I will definitely be placing an order when I get out of the sandpit and back to my shooting school on a fulltime basis.

Once again, thank you for the samples! I will definitely be recommending Weapon Shield to my friends, colleagues and students.

Regards

Adrian Rosslee
Tactical Defence Institute
(SA) +27 (0)84 606 3647
(Iraq)+964 (0)79 0258 7857
[email protected] / [email protected]
Old February 15, 2009, 06:15 PM   #70
gcfennell

eddyb74

Eddy, I'm so sorry I didnt see that 1 liner post for some reason.

Well, Mt. Lebanon is just over the hill from us. You could always stop in the shop here and pick one up any weekday between 9am and 7pm. The guys go home at 5 but Mark or I am around for awhile longer.

If West Mifflin isn't too far, Anthonys Arms have it as well as Ace Sporting Goods right outsode of Washington, PA.

We're at 3351 Industrial Blvd, Bethel Park, 15102. Easy as.

Best regards,
George
Old February 15, 2009, 06:22 PM   #71
Big Ben

MPro7 then Weaponshield; can't be beat; this combo flat out works and you guns will show it!
Springfield EMP (40 cal)...if it ever shows up!
Old February 25, 2009, 07:22 AM   #72
gcfennell

New from Iraq

This just came to us yesterday from Iraq.

-----Original Message-----
From: Beck, Jason L MAJ 887 ESFS [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:45 AM
To: Mark W. Pushnick
Subject: Weapons Shield Evaluation

Mark,
I wanted to send an excerpt from an e-mail I received from our weapons maintainers that have been using your product since it arrived here several weeks ago:

In regards' to the Weapon Shield lubrication, it is an outstanding product. We field tested the product with our troops who are required to clean their assigned heavy weapons daily. The feedback we received was all positive. They said the lubrication provided a thick protective coat and revitalized the metal on the weapons. Unlike other lubricants the Weapon Shield is more durable when used in day-to- day operations involving sand and dust. We also had sister services ranging from Army and Navy personnel try the lubrication. They too had nothing but good things to say. The needle lubricant applicators are perfect for maintenance and small cleaning kits. They allow for precise placement of lubrication in tight places and on smaller parts.

The Lithi-Shield grease is also an amazing product. Thus far we have used it on numerous heavy weapons. It also eased the process of installing 25 safety kits on the M-2 Machine Guns. The grease is also very durable and applies with ease. From the Combat Arms perspective, we believe this product to be very efficient and would recommend it to anyone wanting to use it.

Just wanted to say thank you again, your products are amazing and definitely better than anything we've tried. The Airmen are already asking where they can purchase the Weapons Shield Lube when they get back to the states. Thanks again for your generosity.

Jason Beck
Old August 17, 2009, 02:20 PM   #73
eppler

Not to sure but will give it a try

I was eager to try it until I saw that it is made by the same people that made FP10. I got a free sample of FP10 and bought four Allen wrenches and grinded them down to bare metal. I cleaned them and left one unprotected and applied break free, corrosion x and FP10 to the other three. I placed them outside and the unprotected and the FP10 had rust on them the next day the other two took several weeks to start rusting. I repeated this several time mixing up wrenches and got the same results. But I will give this a try too.
Old August 17, 2009, 03:02 PM   #74
mp25ds4

how does weapon shield work against corrosive ammo?
Old August 17, 2009, 03:16 PM   #75
LHB1

I use FP-10 and Weapon Shield as lubricants, which is IMO their primary purpose. They are outstanding for this job. For rust prevention, I use RustePrufe which has done an excellent job for me on the hot, humid Texas Gulf Coast. I have had no rust on any of my guns since switching over to RustePrufe many years ago.