The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2020, 11:00 AM   #26
GarandTd

Breakthrough

Long-winded
I haven't been shooting nearly as much lately. I have an ammo stash, but it's modest and depleting. I took my M&P22c and the Canik Elite SC to the range the other day, planning to mostly shoot the M&P. Due to weather(rain), I had to shoot the M&P at 25yds where there was a shelter. I was shooting it pretty well and by the end of 60 rounds, was consistently hitting clay pigeons. Since my spirits were up, I decided to load 10 rounds in the Canik, using the 15Rd mag. The rain had stopped so I moved in to about 12 yds. Starting at low ready and not taking too much time to aim, I proceeded to "clean house" on a series(5) of clay pigeons. I used the extra rounds on any fragments that didn't fall and cleaned them up too. I was suprised, so I loaded up 10 more rounds and did again with the same results.

When I first got this pistol, I was struggling with hitting my target, usually shooting low left. I wasn't showing signs of flinch when dry firing, so I focused on my grip. With intense concentration, a thumbs forward grip, and taking a lot of time to aim, I was improving, but it was exhausting and I had to work hard for the little improvement I got. The pistol is very nice, but I was starting to question my purchase. What if I bought a really nice pistol that just doesn't work for me? I wasn't ready to throw in the towel. I continued to periodically shoot the pistol making small gains in shot placement, but not to where I felt like it should be and I was still working hard at it. Then, the other day, it just worked. I think it was because I relaxed a little, but maintained the new grip. I don't really know. I'd like to repeat this a few more times before I get too excited, but I needed this to happen with this pistol. I'm thinking about getting a better holster for it now. Looking at Alien Gear.
Old October 5, 2020, 07:41 PM   #27
stormyone

That’s a nice looking pistol.
Old October 5, 2020, 09:38 PM   #28
GarandTd

Thanks, stormyone. I agree.

I took it to the range again today and had similar results to my previous range visit. This time I used the 12 round mag to make sure it wasn't the mag that made the difference. Now, if only I could find some reasonably priced range ammo.