The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 20, 2017, 04:47 PM   #26
ThomasT

I've own a rossi. It shot jacketed bullets very well but refused to shoot lead. Every lead bullet load I tried would be starting to tip at 30 yards. I looked for several years for a used Marlin. I finally gave up and bought a brand new one. It is now my favorite of all my guns. I so much hate I waited so long to get one.

I also own Marlins in 22, 32 mag and 44 mag. The 357 is just the best balance between weight and accuracy. But the 39A is also extremely accurate. Its like target rifle accurate.

I would love to find a second Marlin 357 so I have one each for my two sons. But unless I just luck into one I doubt it will happen. Those things are crazy expensive. I did send an email to remington asking if there were plans to make them and they said not at this time. So if you have one hold on to it.
Old April 20, 2017, 06:00 PM   #27
Targa

The Henry is an excellent choice.
Old April 21, 2017, 07:50 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

I have the Big Boy steel in both .357 and .41 and love them. I prefer the tube loading, don't like the gates my self. Personally I think the loading gate is a big PITA. No need to " put body parts in front of the muzzle and danger", I just angle the barrel away from me at about 30deg and slide them in. Never been an issue. I actually prefer the .41, for me it's dead nuts accurate with whatever load I run through it out to 50 yards and a little more load specific beyond that. But if you don't handload obviously the .357 is the better choice. I enjoy shooting mine more than my AR's. If I had one complaint about the Henry's it would be the finish on the barrel. They need to make these barrels smoother with a nice deep bluing would be a 100% improvement for what these things cost. You definitely need to keep things oiled and cared for to avoid any rust, they aren't low maintenance as far as the finish is concerned.
Old April 23, 2017, 01:45 PM   #29
Crazy Carl

I just picked up the Henry Big Boy Steel .41Mag carbine & love it.

Count me amongst the "loading gate is a PITA" crowd. I grew up with tube-fed Marlin .22s, so loading the Henrys is a non-issue to me.

I've always been a Marlin fan & have a 39A, a 30AS in .30-30 & a 1895GS in .45-70. That said, I'm very impressed with the Henry & while they won't replace my Marlins, they are a very welcome addition.

Had a Rossi 92 20" .357 for a while, but sent it down the road. Accurate & fun, but it sent brass into a low-earth orbit & my eyes need either peeps or an optic & the top-eject design just isn't the best choice for that.

There is definitely a 20" Henry .41 in my future, along with a .357 carbine to keep my "little" Blackhawk company.