Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2014, 01:07 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyezz
I would be informing that CS rep of my contact with an attorney,
A lawyer?

Glock officially has a one year warranty that specifically applies if the original purchaser activates it within 30 days of the purchase.

Anything they may or may not have done in other cases does not effect their ability to enforce that warranty in the future.

Should they? Yeah, I think so.

Blowing hot air at them isn't going to be helpful though.
Old September 5, 2014, 04:03 PM   #27
greyeyezz

Quote:
Anything they may or may not have done in other cases does not effect their ability to enforce that warranty in the future.
So, we used to extend our one year warranty for the life of the pistol, but not anymore? Gotcha.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:13 PM   #28
45_auto

Quote:
So, we used to extend our one year warranty for the life of the pistol, but not anymore? Gotcha.
They are free to extend the warranty (or not) as they see fit.

Act like an azz, get treated like an azz!
Old September 5, 2014, 05:23 PM   #29
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
Act like an azz, get treated like an azz!
Buy a gun that shouldn't break,but does. Get screwed. I guess this is like the whole "Don't build a House on sand" thing when you could build on rock.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 5, 2014, 05:29 PM   #30
militant

Update: I emailed them again explaining that I was disappointed with what they had told me to do and that it wasn't covered. I told them they should atleast cover the shipping. They completely ignored me. I haven't gotten a phone all or email back. Glock used to be my absolute favorite firearm company. It is not anymore. I am being treated like a lying crook over a 100.00 frame and a shopping charge. I am going to send this gun to them, pay to get it repaired, but only to sell it honestly to the next guy to buy a XD or a M&P.
Old September 5, 2014, 06:02 PM   #31
smee78

Well it may take more that a day or two for them to get to your e-mail. I think you should just slow down a little bit and I'm sure they will get back to you (they may even be looking for the CS rep that told you what they said the first time). If not then just get it fixed and move on, plenty of gun makers out there to support if Glocks customer service is slipping. Plus I still havent seen a picture of the crack so........
Old September 5, 2014, 06:30 PM   #32
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin-Marauder
Buy a gun that shouldn't break,but does. Get screwed. I guess this is like the whole "Don't build a House on sand" thing when you could build on rock.
All manufacturers of every man-made object in the history of history have made objects that fail. It's completely asinine to write off a company or complain about the quality of their entire product line because of a single bad sample. I doubt Glock makes the most reliable handguns ever made, maybe they do, maybe they don't, but they're going to make some that go bad no matter whether they are the best or not.

I can't believe how caught up people get in the "Glock Perfection" thing. It called marketing. Every company does it. Every company makes the best of whatever it is that they make, if you ask them. To get so stuck on marketing is inexplicable. It's marketing. Of course it's not true or correct. Of course it's biased. That's what marketing is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyezz
So, yeah, a company gives a tremendous grace period for no reason whatsoever, that you've done nothing whatsoever to earn, that is far in excess of their explicitly stated one-year only warranty in all their literature but they extend it simply by their own prerogative and only for good will and when it ends... they're evil. Gotcha.
Old September 5, 2014, 06:33 PM   #33
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
All manufacturers of every man-made object in the history of history have made objects that fail. It's completely asinine to write off a company or complain about the quality of their entire product line because of a single bad sample.
But it's not asinine to worship the same company simply because it can fire off a bunch of rounds and not be cleaned? The Mini-14 does that an all the AR Fanboys despise it and come out of the woodwork when they see a thread like that. Simply proving a point.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 5, 2014, 06:39 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's no fan-boys in this thread. Seems to lean rather the opposite actually.
Old September 5, 2014, 06:41 PM   #35
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
There's no fan-boys in this thread. Seems to lean rather the opposite actually.
Not once did I say or even imply that there were fanboys in this thread.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 5, 2014, 06:44 PM   #36
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Then your previous post about it being asinine to worship the company has no context within this thread? I don't know why you'd bring up the fan-boys unless you thought it applied to this thread. I don't know what point you were proving, otherwise.
Old September 5, 2014, 06:48 PM   #37
DT Guy

As soon as someone mentions "I'm contacting/have contacted my attorney" at our company, we no longer are allowed to deal with them in any way; all further correspondence will have to go through, and come from, our legal department. (Yep, surprise, we have lawyers too!)

It often takes the wind out of the sails of people who like to 'attorney intimidate' at the slightest provocation, and it can get pretty funny when folks actually start to explain they didn't REALLY talk to a lawyer, and can't afford one, and could I PLEASE continue to work with them on their issue.

"Sorry, contact our legal department for all matters involving on-going litigation..."

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old September 5, 2014, 07:44 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Guy
As soon as someone mentions "I'm contacting/have contacted my attorney" at our company, we no longer are allowed to deal with them in any way; all further correspondence will have to go through, and come from, our legal department. (Yep, surprise, we have lawyers too!)
That's my standard procedure. Yes, people will threaten to sue over pizza. As soon as they mention suing or lawyers, I tell them "If that's the case, this conversation is over. My lawyer is Fran at XYZ Law. You may have your lawyer contact him." If they're actually in the shop, I tell them they may now leave and if they do not they are trespassing and the police will be called.

It's amazing how fast they get out the door... after they pick their jaw up off the floor.

One lady threatened to sue me because "it's the law that you have to honor quotes given over the phone." (Yeah right, how would you ever prove I even gave you a quote) and another threatened to sue me because the bottom of the box says 24"x18" and the pizza didn't make those dimensions.

In any case, you can't sue someone for enforcing their long-standing, printed warranty. (or you can't win, you can sue for anything)
Old September 5, 2014, 07:58 PM   #39
amd6547

It is so passé, really....but in this case it really applies.

This thread is worthless without pics.

Really.
Old September 5, 2014, 09:06 PM   #40
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This thread is worthless without pics.
I was hoping for at least a description of the crack, so I could even guess what caused it. Pics would be better. Any warranty claim centers around what caused it.
Old September 5, 2014, 09:44 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's what I've found from dealing with folks who have had to return guns to the manufacturer.

It is fairly common for the manufacturer to have the customer pay to ship the gun to them if there is any question at all as to whether the repair is a warranty issue or not.

If, after receiving the gun, the company determines it's a warranty issue, the customer can request a refund on the shipping and will generally get it.

If it's obviously a warranty issue from the beginning then the company will almost always pay shipping both ways.

If you have ever worked in customer service, you would instantly understand why it's not routine to pay shipping on all returns as a matter of course. For every valid issue, there are many more where there's no problem at all or the problem is obviously the result of abuse of some sort.
Old September 7, 2014, 01:17 PM   #42
militant

The crack is along the molding mark on the frame closest to the tip of the frame, by the rail, serial number and tip of barrel.
Old September 8, 2014, 07:25 AM   #43
45_auto

Quote:
The crack is along the molding mark on the frame closest to the tip of the frame, by the rail, serial number and tip of barrel.
Do you own a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera?

Did you send Glock a picture of your so-called "crack" along with your email?

You haven't posted one here that I'm aware of.

I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't pay for shipping if you could show that it was an actual crack.

On the other hand, I am not surprised that they DO NOT pay for shipping just based on you claiming that it is cracked. It's been my experience that the vast majority of people can not tell the difference between a mold mark and a crack.
Old September 8, 2014, 08:21 AM   #44
g.willikers

Most frame cracks start at pin holes or sharp angles.
Have you looked at it from all sides, including the inside?
A light held at at a low angle to the suspected area works well.
Also picking at the area with a dental pick or small knife blade tip can tell if it's something just on the surface or deeper.
Old September 8, 2014, 12:12 PM   #45
dogrunner

What's the bitch! More than likly Glock will at the very least offer you a replacement at a drastically lowered price.......they might even just not charge at all. The thing's mostly a polymer, which like any other material can fail.

Hell's fire, I just got a brand new case cleaner from Dillon when I sent them my 25 year old 2000 when the motor failed.........it did cost me to ship it back, but 40 bucks beats hell out of nearly 200.

By the way I am absolutely no fan of Mr. Glocks products...won't own one, when I was a CLEO I forbade my people to carry one.....yeah I know, they shoot good........they also AD shoot people good too!
Old September 8, 2014, 01:58 PM   #46
DT Guy

Quote:
By the way I am absolutely no fan of Mr. Glocks products...won't own one, when I was a CLEO I forbade my people to carry one.....yeah I know, they shoot good........they also AD shoot people good too!
Chicago PD's LeRoy Martin used to state that Glocks 'just go off!' when he didn't allow them for CPD, also.

If you're relying on trigger weight to prevent to ND's, you're about three pounds from the end of the world, IMHO.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old September 9, 2014, 02:57 AM   #47
33GURK

militant

What you may be looking at may not be an actual crack, without a picture it is hard to tell, but I am guessing it is the frame support that you are seeing, if this is the case it is not a crack and is fine. I have one that is similar to what you are describing and it is exactly what I described, it`s the frame support.

If you have not sent it back, please snap a pic and post it.

If it means .05 to you I am a Certified Glock Armorer as I`m sure there are many others here as well, hopefully myself or someone can save you some grief.

Last edited by 33GURK; September 9, 2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old September 9, 2014, 06:16 PM   #48
militant

I have two glock frames here sitting side by side. The one with the crack and the one without. I don't know how much more obvious a crack can be.
Old September 10, 2014, 02:29 AM   #49
33GURK

I can sit a number of Glocks side by side as well, and still the one that has the frame support showing through the polymer at first glance appears as a crack, I was only trying to help by asking for a picture of it.

Without a picture no one here can be of any help.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:40 AM   #50
greyeyezz

Only way to be sure its a crack is remove the slide and flex the dust cover from side to side and up and down.