The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2011, 04:49 PM   #26
sharpFP

Firing problems

Having the same problem as Utah with the same caliber 30-06. It will fire maybe 4 times then 4 misfires. If you find anything else out let me know. I just purchased Rem Core lokt to try but sounds like it won't make a difference. Ill let you know if I find anything out too, doesn't sound like sending it in is a great idea?
Old November 24, 2011, 11:42 AM   #27
pbrktrt

Demand a full refund and buy a Vanguard. A better rifle IMO and in the remote case it's needed. CS second to none. You're dealing with a family, not a conglomerate. Just my 2 pennies.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:31 PM   #28
rugerfreak

My Venture, a .30-06 also, has been flawless and accurate--but its under recall, which I doubt if I'll send it in.
Old November 24, 2011, 11:05 PM   #29
Joe Chicago

Your customer service experience at TC remind me of my experiences with Remington. I had to contact the factory about problems with two new rifles in three months.
Old November 26, 2011, 12:21 AM   #30
UtahGrouse

SharpFP - I was never able to get the problem straightened out in terms of getting a working rifle. I did end up getting a refund though, or at least I was told to expect a refund check in the the mail, hopefully it will arrive in a few weeks. And it only took me 3 months of calling a couple times a week
Old January 16, 2012, 05:18 PM   #31
powell11b

I had some misfire problems as well and had to take the bolt apart completely to clean packing grease off of it. Took a minute to figure out how to do it since T/C doesn't include the instructions in the manual or give u the tool to do so. So, I just made an Instructable on how to disassemble the bolt completely. Follow this link: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Ven/?ALLSTEPS
Old January 21, 2017, 03:25 PM   #32
jimmywgray

TC Venture Predator 22-250 Misfire

Looks like I am getting in on this conversation a little late, however, I would like to chime in: I have sent my TC Venture Predator chambered in 22-250 back to Smith & Wesson THREE times for the SAME issue. I just got it back about a month ago and it's STILL misfiring. There is no consistency to the misfire: Before this last time I sent to S&W, it would misfire after sitting for a while (I keep this gun locked and loaded at all times), now that I got it back, it will misfire every few shots. I love the accuracy of this gun (Almost sub MOA with Hornady Superformance), but I can't have a gun that misfires this consistently.

UtahGrouse, I feel your pain!
Old January 21, 2017, 09:14 PM   #33
Handyman79

I purchased a Venture 30-06 in the fall of 2014 and was having misfires as well. I finally diagnosed it as too much firing pin protrusion. These rifles have a very short throw and there wasn't enough momentum being generated before the pin would contact the primer. It more or less pushed into the primer instead of smacking it like it should. I filed off about an 1/8th inch of pin until it had the same protrusion as my other bolt actions and all has been well since.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:08 PM   #34
reynolds357

Actually the TC Venture is a great rifle, when they finally get it fixed. I have two of them. Both have gone back for warranty work. The things are ridiculously accurate. I actually gave up on TC getting the chamber right on one of the rifles so I threw it in the lathe and did it myself. Thankfully, one of my friends had a 270 WSM finish reamer.
Old April 24, 2017, 06:49 AM   #35
RonMo

Venture Magazine 300WSM

I had posted this Venture Magazine issue on another forum, but didn't get any feedback. I am hoping someone with a 270 or 300WSM can let me know their experience.

My buddy and I both have the TC Venture 300WSM rifles (I have had mine 2 years) and have been very pleased with it. We both have this issue.

If you close the bolt, fully load the magazine (3 rounds) and re-insert, then try to rack the bolt, the bolt hits the top cartridge and does not allow the bolt to open. You have to slightly release the magazine, then work the bolt. The bolt probably could be forced open, but it would take excessive force.

On my rifle, if I only load 2 rounds in the mag, the bolt will almost freefall (with gravity) all the way open. So it is definitely related to the 3rd round in the mag. (very little compliance in the mag with the 3rd round installed)

I did a test with some new brass (unloaded, unsized) just to be able to watch what was happening. With 3 cartridges in the mag, I could force the bolt open, but it put a dent in the top cartridge. I would probably not be able to notice this if the brass was fire formed.

My friend contacted S&W they wanted his rifle. He agree only to send his magazine. He got a new magazine, but it did nothing to solve the issue.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old April 24, 2017, 09:41 AM   #36
ShootistPRS

send the rifle in if you want it fixed. If you are willing to live with it then do so.

Tags
barrel , t.c. , thompson center , venture , warranty