The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 17, 2001, 12:47 AM   #1
Jesse H

The Ruger logo

I was unable to find any information about it from Ruger's website. I just think it's a neat logo and was curious if there was any story behind it.

thanks
Old December 17, 2001, 01:09 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Alexander Sturm designed the logo based on the legendary Phoenix bird. The original was red, but when Sturm died, Bill Ruger ordered that the red Phoenix be retired and that future Phoenix's would be in black in Sturm's honor (he also ordered that the name of the company would always have Sturm's name in first place; they were very close friends). The red Phoenix was resurrected (ironic, eh?) for the 50th anniversary of their first pistol.
Old March 28, 2017, 08:55 PM   #3
Ballenxj

Mal H, that's a very interesting story, and makes sense now.
Sorry about reviving an ancient thread, but I think this should be seen again.
Thanks.
Old March 28, 2017, 09:37 PM   #4
rickyrick

Funny, I always thought that it was red.
Old March 29, 2017, 06:04 PM   #5
UncleEd

The Logo sometimes, but only sometimes, has the SR in the enter of the bird.

Mostly it's just R nowadays.

Corporately, Sturm is a nearly forgotten figure, I believe, despite Bill Ruger's intentions.

I doubt one in 50 buyers even thinks of the Sturm Ruger products, only Ruger.
Old March 30, 2017, 09:41 PM   #6
North East Redneck

Learn something new everyday. Even in a 16 year old thread.
Old March 31, 2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Pahoo

Is the RED eagle current?

Quote:
The red Phoenix was resurrected (ironic, eh?) for the 50th anniversary of their first pistol
Mal,
Thanks for the information and perhaps you can help explain why you see MK-III's Hunters with the RED eagle. I thought the Hunter came out after the anniversary year. Is the RED eagle still being issued? .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 1, 2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Arnold S

Damn who unburied this one
It's a nice to know fact though!

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
-Clint Eastwood
Old April 7, 2017, 01:34 AM   #9
bamaranger

Germanic

Glad they did.

The comment was made that the SR eagle was based on the "Phoenix bird".

I don't know the full story on the "legendary Phoenix", other than it was a mythical creature from Greece and the middle east. But Alexander Sturm apparently had an interest and collected all sorts of cultural things, swords, gun, auto's.....and he had an interest in heraldry, the old concept of symbols on flags and shields.

What I find is that the eagle was Teutonic/Germanic based, and that fits with Sturm, (Germanic/nordic type name) and his interst in heraldry. Think of the German Bundesadler or the Reichsadler from modern Germany.

Maybe the Germans drew from the Greeks.....but I suspect thats two different cultures.
Old April 7, 2017, 11:27 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Eagle icons

It's an Eagle, its a Phoenix, its a Dragon, its on some of Hank Williams Jr.'s albums (with permission!). Neither Sturm, nor Ruger are around to ask, anymore, and unless you have something in print, from them, stating Sturm's inspiration, its all just guesses.

Eagles have been used throughout history, throughout the world as symbols. If Eagles lived there (or had lived there) somebody used some variant of a stylized Eagle in their standard, logo, coat of arms, on their flag, etc.

Several of the ruling houses of Europe used eagles as their sign. Many different governments have also. The US does, the ROMANS did! Its not just a Nordic thing. (ok the Germans use it a LOT )

Personally, I think the reason that the nobility and governments use(d) the Eagle is because a vulture was too close to the truth.
Old April 7, 2017, 08:20 PM   #11
shuvelrider

All I know is that I own a Mark I Standard from the first
year of production, with the original grips and red eagle. I've put those away to preserve them, and put a pair of checkered walnut on the pistol for regular use. The gun came from an uncles estate back in 2004, he was 90 when he passed.
Old April 7, 2017, 08:57 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you ever go to Phoenix, Arizona, look at their storm drains/manhole cover. I think I first noticed one at Pioneer Village. Pioneer Village is a collection of older houses, some of which were relocated there, and serves to interpret the frontier days of Phoenix. Fun place but it's also the first place where I noticed a storm drain/manhole cover.
Old April 8, 2017, 08:20 AM   #13
Chris_B

Mal did not post that the red background was only for the 50th anniversary.

And re: the mythos of the Phoenix, we don't need to look to Europe etc. I'm surprised that you guys have forgotten the origins of the city of Phoenix's name. Take a look at the seal for that city, too.