The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 14, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Harvey1968

1800's Flintlock Pistol Identification Needed

I have a pair of these. Dueling pistols? Would like to know maker and age and possible value for both. Thanks!
Old March 14, 2017, 12:23 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

These once were a pair of Queen Anne travel pistols with flintlocks. Someone did a very curious - and unfortunately crude - adaption to percussion cap. Never seen one where they used the battery spring to drive the hammer. Value in the current condition is low, probably a couple hundred bucks.
Old March 14, 2017, 12:53 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...Dueling pistols?..." No. More like a derringer.
Looks more like a Miquelet lock than a flinter. Very difficult to tell anything about 'em without pictures of any proof marks or makers marks. Assuming there are any marks.
Likely another case of everybody and his brother made stuff like that. No marks usually means a small independent smithy made 'em.
Queen Anne pistols have longer barrels without the forestock. Generally in use from around 1650 to 1780. Long before a percussion anything existed.
Your's still a traveling pistol style. Top one by Walsh(highly unlikely your's is that).
http://trueantiques.co.uk/folderanti...ntique-pistols
Old March 14, 2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Harvey1968

1800's Belgium Pistol?

Marked ELG. Year?
Value?
Old March 14, 2017, 01:02 PM   #5
Harvey1968

Small Pistol does not have any makers marks on it anywhere.
Old March 14, 2017, 03:51 PM   #6
mapsjanhere

Great catch with the Miquelet lock, never seen on before for caps. That might probably make it Spanish, like this one http://www.rustyoldarms.co.uk/recent...ck-belt-pistol
Old March 14, 2017, 04:07 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

Harvey, the second one is missing it's front barrel mounting plate

The Belgians supplied half of Europe with firearms in the 19th century, and they even retrofitted flint locks on obsolete percussion guns in the 1870's for export to Africa. Unless you can identify the customer, with the damage, the value is nominal.
Old March 14, 2017, 04:39 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Lacks refinement (engraving or inlays, fancier wood, precious metals) of a dueling pistol. That and the miquelet lock was predominantly a Spanish/Muslim lock and Muslim made firearms are generaly decorated with inlays. This makes me think it was assembled by a European smith.

That said, it is not a dueler. Dueling was only between men with honor, that is gentlemen and aristocracy. Code Duello did not apply to the common rif-raff as they had no honor to defend and were mere villanous brawlers. Mind you, that didn't deter the frontier American from gouging out each other's eyes or biting off bits of their opponent's lips or ear or nose.

Glad I live in a more civilised period.
Old March 14, 2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Harvey1968

Thank you everyone with your knowledge. I appreciate it. Found in an attic the other day and want to sell them for the owner. Now I have good information. Appreciate that.