The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2018, 06:03 AM   #1
JJ45

No love for the Springfield XD?

I am generally new to the striker pistol and have always been a DA or 1911 shooter as far as auto pistols.

But I acquired a Springfield XD9 Service and 3.8 Compact 9 a year or two ago and find them exceptionally reliable...it took some getting used to the triggers but it's coming along and I really like these pistols for their reliability and simplicity.

Seems like less shooters like these pistols compared to Glocks or S&WS and I can't see why this is so....maybe I just don't know enough about strikers yet.

Anyone else appreciate the XD?
Old January 6, 2018, 07:03 AM   #2
saleen322

Back around 2005 I chaired a committee to seek recommendations for a new handgun for the agency I was working for. We contacted the usual suspects (vendors) to see if they wanted to provide pistols to be included in the testing. Glock, Ruger, Sig, and Springfield are who responded and provided pistols. At the end of the testing, the Springfield XD9 Tactical had the highest score. I don't have a big interest in plastic-fantastic pistols which comprise a little over 1% of our personal guns; a grand total of 2; a Ruger LC9 and because of that test, a Springfield XD9 I used for training classes. The Springfield shoots everything--including lead bullets, is more than accurate enough for everything I do with it, and never had a problem over all the years. The only thing I ever did to it was put night sights on it. It works as good today and the day I bought it and I don't see any need to replace it into the foreseeable future. YMMV
Old January 6, 2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Viper225

I decided to carry a hi capacity 40 the last few months of my LE career. Mainly because it was getting a little hard to qualify with my 610 S&W revolver on timed courses of fire designed around the hi capacity 9mm. I was managing to get in 2 reloads and hit all the targets, but it was getting a little close.
After looking over all of my options I picked the XDm Full Size 40. I do not recall exactly why I went with the XDm over a Glock, but it was probably due to the Grip Safety. I had TFO Night Sights added, and picked up several spare magazines for it.
I never did really warm up to it, even though it was as reliable as gravity, and never malfunctioned that I can recall. It shot well, and the trigger was acceptable for a duty sidearm.

Bob
Old January 6, 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
peacefulgary

I like XD's.
I had an XD .45 and I shot it better than my S&W M&P, and just as well as my Glock.
The only reason I sold it was because I started getting more interested in smaller pistols.
Old January 6, 2018, 10:25 AM   #5
ritepath

The reason I'm not an XD person (besides the look like fancy glocks) is the same reason I don't like 1911's. I hate a grip safety...
Old January 6, 2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Kvon2

I think there's a lot of love for them. Maybe not as much as glock or sw but they certainly sell. A lot of people don't like the grip safety but imo, you don't really think about it once you're holding the gun.
Old January 6, 2018, 11:20 AM   #7
KSFreeman

The McRib of handguns?

It has its place. Maybe not First Round Draft Pick, but it is a fool shooter.
Old January 6, 2018, 11:30 AM   #8
BigJimP

The guys I talk to locally are having a lot of quality issues with them..../ that started abiut 2 yrs ago / not sure why...but gun to gun, out of the box, they seem really inconsistent mechanically.

But I do like the idea that the grip angle is the same as a 1911.
Old January 6, 2018, 11:42 AM   #9
dgludwig

Quote:
The reason I'm not an XD person (besides the look like fancy glocks) is the same reason I don't like 1911's. I hate a grip safety...
If I had to choose between a Glock and an XD, I'd get the Springfield-because it has a grip safety. Whatever floats your boat.
Old January 6, 2018, 11:52 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
I am generally new to the striker pistol and have always been a DA or 1911 shooter as far as auto pistols.

But I acquired a Springfield XD9 Service and 3.8 Compact 9 a year or two ago and find them exceptionally reliable...it took some getting used to the triggers but it's coming along and I really like these pistols for their reliability and simplicity.

Seems like less shooters like these pistols compared to Glocks or S&WS and I can't see why this is so....maybe I just don't know enough about strikers yet.

Anyone else appreciate the XD?
I have 2. One is a 2005 vintage XD40 Service, the other an XD40 subcompact I picked up in, I think, 2014. The subcompact's locking block chipped recently, and the older gun picks up rust on the slide sometimes. (Pre 2006 finish wasn't as durable.) For the repair, Springfield was painless to deal with, and turned it around in less than 2 weeks.

I did my research before buying the first one, check web forums for first hand problem reports. At the time I found nothing significant.

I see a lot of XD hate, and I wonder how much of it is an artifact of Internet social media amplifying unfounded opinion. Some points I see people bring up don't matter ("made in Croatia!" "Springfield Armory isn't the original Springfield!" "The cost less when they were first imported, before Springfield took it over!"),

The striker retaining pin is easy to replace, and doesn't become a problem until after a lot of dry firing.

If you don't like grip safeties, fine. Lots of gun without them.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 6, 2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Mosin44az

I have three, and have owned four others. I think the grip safety helps with unconventional carry , and that the XD series in general handles recoil well, much better than Glock for instance. I have found them reliable also. The Xdms are a bit pricey, but the XDs and Mod 2s are a good value.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:06 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

I really like my XD40 Sub Compact. It has been my EDC when I don't need a more concealable mouse gun. With a recent decision to down size caliber in order to up size capacity a new XDm Compact eas top of the list of contenders. The only thing that knocked it off the list had nothing to do with what I thought of Springfield. I found a like new in box, virtually unfired, Sig P320 Carry recently for $450. Just one of my little gun buying quirks, but I didn't have a Sig at the time, really liked the feel of rhe 320, thought it was a pretty good price, so why not?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 6, 2018, 12:20 PM   #13
t45

I have a XDS 4.0 in 45 and love it. I like the grip safety for holstering reasons other than that it's hardly noticed.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:34 PM   #14
CDW4ME

I had a XD 45 Compact that I liked, worked great but I got rid of it for something different.
XD is okay provided it does not have "Grip Zone" on it.
Old January 6, 2018, 01:27 PM   #15
wizzamen

Quote:
I like the grip safety for holstering reasons other than that it's hardly noticed.
I always found this to be a strange argument for the grip safety. Wouldn't you maintain a proper grip on the XD while holstering, thus engaging the grip safety anyways?

As far as the popularity of the XD:

I believe that since it is not issued very much in the law enforcement community, thats a factor in the XD not being as popular as the Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P in the civilian market.
Old January 6, 2018, 01:46 PM   #16
Nathan

Quote:
I hate a grip safety...
Why?

Quote:
The guys I talk to locally are having a lot of quality issues with them
Would love to hear details...unless my experience and the experiences of others I know are false, it is an exceptional gun, but like all guns has some faults.

Quote:
I see a lot of XD hate, and I wonder how much of it is an artifact of Internet social media amplifying unfounded opinion.
I see mostly this.

I love the guns. Accurate....like really accurate, IME...maybe all bullet holes touching with 5 shots at 10 - 15 yds. Reliable...I've never had one ftf or fte...all other guns have done this to me. I could make an AK ftf, I bet!

Last edited by Nathan; January 6, 2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old January 6, 2018, 02:12 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post
I have three, and have owned four others. I think the grip safety helps with unconventional carry , and that the XD series in general handles recoil well, much better than Glock for instance. I have found them reliable also. The Xdms are a bit pricey, but the XDs and Mod 2s are a good value.

“Unconventional carry”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 6, 2018, 02:33 PM   #18
wizzamen

Quote:
“Unconventional carry”?
I am wondering about this too.

Old January 6, 2018, 02:53 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I always found this to be a strange argument for the grip safety. Wouldn't you maintain a proper grip on the XD while holstering, thus engaging the grip safety anyways?
Nope, not at all. I didn't even have to learn, or "train" holstering my XD without pressingvthe grip safety. When I put it in the holster I have my thumb on the back of tje slide. The web of my hand that presses the grip safety when shooting is no where near it. Actually, that is how I naturally holster anything. I'm not putting my thumb, wrapped around the grip, in the holster with the gun. Does anybody cram their thumb inside the holster with the gun?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 6, 2018, 02:56 PM   #20
TunnelRat

I use kydex holsters that allow a complete firing grip when holstering. They're cut so I can use my thumb. I tend to seat pistols with a full grip. But using a thumb over a hammer or similar is a long standing practice. More than one way to skin a cat and all that.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 6, 2018, 03:44 PM   #21
hubris

Like my SA XDm 45c so much I bought a SA 1911. XDm shoots reliably and as accurately as the operator can manage.
Old January 6, 2018, 03:53 PM   #22
jmhyer

Love my XD40 service and my XDm 4.5" in 45ACP.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:44 AM   #23
Mosin44az

Unconventional carry: fanny pack or other bag/sack/ purse where you don’t have it in a firm holster covering the trigger guard to ensure no contact.

To me the XD grip safety adds a measure of safety.
Old January 7, 2018, 03:44 AM   #24
Carmady

I have an XD-S 4.0 45 ACP, and I'm delighted with it.

My son has an XD 4.0 9mm, and his has been 100%.

Can't comment on SA's CS, because I haven't needed it.

I'm indifferent towards the grip safety, never think about it until I read a post that mentions it.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:08 AM   #25
jmr40

The XD is true SAO with no thumb safety. That eliminated it from consideration from at least 98% of all LE agencies. The Glock, S&W and every other striker fired plastic pistol is classified as DAO. I know as well as everyone else that there is no significant difference in practical use. But from a mechanical perspective the XD striker is fully cocked with no real safety.
The others are partially cocked and the trigger pull finishes cocking the gun. From a liability standpoint virtually no LE agency is going to allow their officers to carry it. With no LE exposure sales are going to be hurt.

I had one briefly and sold it because I hated the grip safety. Otherwise it is a decent pistol. I tolerate the grip safety on a 1911 because it is well designed and traditional, but it would be a better gun without one. The grip safety on the XD is not well designed. The grip safety on an XD is far, far more likely to prevent the gun from firing when I really need it to fire than to prevent it from firing when I don't want it to.

Historically this has been an issue with 1911's even with their much better design. Back in the day when a few 1911's were actually carried it was a fairly common modification to disable the grip safety or at least tape it down to make sure the gun would work if needed.

Winston Churchill