The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2017, 08:50 PM   #26
TunnelRat

Ah. Sometimes I forget I live in the land of the free.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 4, 2017, 08:52 PM   #27
TunnelRat

FWIW I have owned a few P99s. I still prefer the HK P2000/P30 over them. But the P99 is a great pistol.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 4, 2017, 09:20 PM   #28
cslinger

Have two OLD P99s. They are GREAT pistols with great triggers that were ergonomic well before anybody this side of a hi power or cz had thought about it.

That being said I am with Tunnel. The P2K is my perfect Gun. It's not a perfect gun but it is MY perfect Gun.
Old January 8, 2018, 11:29 PM   #29
cslinger

I just thought I would add a quick follow up and addendum to my post.

First unlike my VP9, my P30 continues to impress. I love it. Runs great, feels great, hasn’t missed a beat. If I have any complaints it’s that it is a hair more difficult to hold the slide in the take down position vs the P2000 or other compacts. All that said I love the damn thing.

Now for an addendum. With the current price drop value is now solidly in the 5 camp. 3 Mags, good night sights, the grip modularity and general HK attributes now for the cost of a comparable Glock.....outstanding.

Yeah it’s hammer fired in a striker world.....I totally get that but if you are looking for a hammer fired gun or just want to try something “old school” the P30 kinda rocks on its own merits. With current pricing.....it’s a helluva Gun purchase.

I have a second on the way......cuz....well....that whole Pac-Man Jones in a strip club thing.....well tiger, stripes or some such.

As always take care and shoot safe,
Chris
Old January 9, 2018, 06:53 AM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't know how I missed this review all these months. Detailed, but very readable. Well done, cslinger.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:12 PM   #31
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat:
FWIW I have owned a few P99s. I still prefer the HK P2000/P30 over them. But the P99 is a great pistol.
I have both the HK P2000 and the P30, both 9mm and both v3 trigger variants. IMHO these are two of the best polymer framed service pistols that I know of at least.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:44 AM   #32
RedHoundTargets

Great review and I agree with just about all of it. A P30 DA/SA in 9mm was the first handgun I ever bought. I went in with every intention of purchasing a Sig 229. After testing some rentals I found the P30 to work way better for me. As with your experience, I ended up keeping the pre installed grip configuration and it’s so darn comfortable. I also think the paddle mag release is underrated. I’ve put thousands of rounds through it of all types and have had exactly 1 failure to fire and no malfunctions.
Love it.
Old January 14, 2018, 12:18 AM   #33
Ignition Override

cslinger: As mostly a rifle guy until November's very unique classes (taught by a foreign Counter-Terror officer), having no prev. exposure or awareness of these until a few days ago, I recently bought my very First handguns > than Makarovs (.380 and 9x18).

If I had Not... Just bought those two Very popular Euro or Euro/US handgun brands (I prefer all-metal, and again, no prev. exposure to HKs), you guys' descriptions would have motivated me to go handle a 'first' P30 first thing on Monday.
Not kidding about this, and very nice descriptions of P30s.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 14, 2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old January 14, 2018, 12:36 AM   #34
turtlehead

I've always liked the looks of that gun. Unfortunately shooting it I get a nasty bite on my finger from that scooped trigger guard. Couldn't figure out how to overcome it.
Old January 14, 2018, 08:59 PM   #35
Worc

I like my 9mm P-30 V-3 quite a bit. I think I paid right around $800.00 for mine shipped a few years ago. I'm guessing I have close to 7K through it now. No doubt the average trigger is the weakest link on this gun for me. Comparative wise to other models, I think the DA pull is better than SA pull. I've thought about sending mine out for trigger work but have not got around to it yet. I prefer the mag release paddles of the P-30 to the ones on my PPQ M1. Having the P-30's as long as the PPQ's would make them perfect for me. Accuracy is very good and could be exceptional if it had a better trigger.

On your criteria I rank mine as 2,3,5,5,4,4,4,4,4.5.