The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2015, 02:41 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

CBB & LC Headstamp

Gentlemen and ladies, I just finished reloading a bunch of 308 Winchester. My M24 won't chamber anything with a CBB & LC head stamp. I don't sort my brass by brand and i am not above grabbing what ppl leave behind at the range. It all goes through the same cleaning, re-sizing, trimming and what not. I trim to -0.003 below SAMMI max length and have never run into this problem before. Any thoughts?
Old November 2, 2015, 03:11 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

No CBB on the list. LC is Lake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO. A well known maker of military ammo used by the U.S. and Måtravidèki Fèmmüvek, H-3332 Sirok, Hungary, for: Armscorp USA Inc., Baltimore, MD.
You FL resizing? That's required for OPB(Other People's Brass).
"...My M24..." A real one or something you built? Why use crap unknown brass in it if it's one of the current Remington LEO rifles?
Old November 2, 2015, 03:29 PM   #3
bfoosh006

CBC maybe ?

LC 7.62x51 brass can "spring" back after resizing... especially if it has been fired in a "generous" sized chamber. ( Almost always the case with 7.62x51 fired from a machine gun )

And you might need a small base .308 die.

"RCBS Small Base Sizing Dies are useful for reloaders loading for semi-automatic, pump action and lever action rifles to help ensure that proper functioning. Small base sizing dies size brass to minimum specifications and help to ensure that cartridges will chamber every time."

On sale at Midway...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/597...308-winchester
Old November 2, 2015, 03:49 PM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
have never run into this problem before. Any thoughts?
Yes I do, my thoughts never change. I have the same presses, I have the same dies, there is a chance on occasions I use the same lube. Then there are different dies like the ones other members are trying to get you to purchase. It reminds me of time, there is never enough time to do it correctly the first time but always enough time to do it over or purchase more tools.

If one of my presses does not return the case to minimum length/full length size the shell holder will not make it to the shell holder meaning anything sticking out between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder did not get shoved into the die. I do not have to chamber a sized case to determine if the case is too long from the shoulder to the case head to allow the bolt to close.

I do not know hat press you are using, I do not know what dies your are using, I do not know what lube your are using. I have choices when choosing a press, die or lube, I have never found it necessary to use small base dies. My small base dies will not size the base of a case, my shell holders prevent the bottom .125" of the case head from being sized, then there is the radius.

I have dies that are mistakes, when I use on of them I get into mortal combat when sizing a case. The die wants to keep the case.

Then there is measuring the case before sizing and again after sizing. I have purchased thousands of cases from a firing range. I have measured the length of the cases before purchasing, my favorite once fired case is a case that has been fired in a trashy old chamber. My favorite cases are cases that are long from the shoulder to the case head.

F. Guffey
Old November 2, 2015, 04:56 PM   #5
ncrypt

LC is all I shoot in my Sig 716. I had this problem a while back and discovered my re-sizing die was out of adjustment and wasn't re-sizing the entire case. I also think I got a little lazy,due to the extra effort these military cases take to re-size. It was like the last 32nd of an inch. I had to take 100 rounds apart and re-do them after an adjustment. No problems since.

I also purchased Lyman Case Gauge. Now I check every batch. If it doesn't slide easily in the gauge, you know you have a problem.

BTW - Now I always adjust my re-sizing die a half turn AFTER it hits the case holder.
Old November 2, 2015, 06:38 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
BTW - Now I always adjust my re-sizing die a half turn AFTER it hits the case holder.
While that advice is in many places, and it well may get the resized brass to chamber in your rifle, you also could be moving the shoulder back WAY TOO MUCH! You really don't want case head separations, and moving the shoulder back too much can do exactly that.

Measure and adjust your die correctly. The tool developed by UncleNick, shows just how much an extra 1/4 or 1/2 turn can do, as well as let you make the final adjustment on your sizing die. For bolt guns I move the shoulder back 0.001 to 0.002" from the point where you can feel the bolt close on the brass. On semi auto's, I move the shoulder back around 0.003". On some of my dies, 1/2 turn would result in over 0.020" of shoulder movement.

Old November 2, 2015, 06:51 PM   #7
ADIDAS69

RE the rifle, genuine M24 new production long action chambered in 308 Win/7.62 NATO.

RE reloading process. I use OPB mostly cause I refuse to over specialize. When i really need to go for first round hits i have a stash of Lapua brass, Vihtavuori and machine turned projectiles. But every case gets a detergent wash, dry tumble, anneal, full length resize, 2nd dry tumble, loaded.

RE CBB head stamp, I understand it to be a law enforcement variant coming out of the CBC factory.

I think it is going to be a die adjustment issue. I put some layout solution on the cases and all of them showed extensive contact on the bolt face/head contact area. It likely is a coincidence that these casings failed to get resized properly.
Old November 2, 2015, 06:59 PM   #8
ADIDAS69

Jepp2, i'll have a look at Uncle Nicks gear.
Old November 4, 2015, 07:15 PM   #9
ncrypt

jepp2 - For my Lee set-up....the re-sizing die is adjusted to hit the shell holder with the ram at the top of it's stroke. Turning the die a half turn deeper to has no affect on the case dimensions. It ensures you make a full stroke on each case and hit the shell holder vice the stop at the bottom of the stroke.

Last edited by ncrypt; November 4, 2015 at 07:21 PM.