The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 24, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
spitpatch

54 Breach loader

Picked up a ASM .54 paper cart breach loader this past weekend. I would like to know what is a favorite bullet mold for it from the guys that have these rifles. I have available goex and kik ffg and swiss 1 1/2. I have loaded for BP cart rifles and have been making paper cart for 45 & 36 pistols but am new to this rifle. Any help will be appreciated.
Old February 24, 2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Hawg

I use a 557-490 ringtail mold from Moosemoulds in my Sharps.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:59 PM   #3
DD4lifeusmc

54 breech loader

I hate to be picky here, but I think it would be helpful if you included the brand and model.
What kind of breech loader?
Sharps, Smith, Springfield etc.
And yes I know the Smith was technically a 50.

In my Sharps, I bought the Pedersoli 54 cal mould
It doesn't have the typical ringtail base for tying a paper cartridge to it,
But you can do it. I use the brass cases. Easier in the field for quick follow up shots. My mould is 535 grain.
Also it fully fills the bore so need for paper patching.
Same with my Smith as far as the filiing the bore.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:38 PM   #4
spitpatch

It is marked Armi s marco made in Italy, 54 cal bp. I picked it up at an auction this past Sunday. It was nothing that I was interested in but the bidding was stalled at 330.oo so I thought what the heck and bid 335.oo and ended up with it. It is nothing at all quality wise like the C Sharps rifles that I have. I am thinking if I can get the stuff together I would someday take it to the range. I have the powder, musket caps, and have made many paper cart for pistols. But this is new to me. I have Steve Brooks, Lyman, and RCBS molds for my cart rifles but am wondering on this if I could get by with a lee mold. My pistols, front loaders, and BPCR keep me quite busy but I am wanting to play with this a time or two. Thanks much.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5
spitpatch

I think some call it a sharps paper cutter.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Hawg

I don't know if the ASM has a sliding chamber sleeve. You need to do some research and find out. My IAB doesn't. It does have a removable breech plate and that needs to be removed and cleaned behind. It may take some doing but it will come off.
Breech block with plate removed.

Breech plate.

Old February 27, 2014, 03:06 PM   #7
spitpatch

Hawg: This rifle has the same block as yours. Took the forearm off and it is stamped IAB with a date code BB 1992. I am thinking it was made for ASM by IAB. Any way it will be something to play with different than the other guns I have. Thanks for the info.