The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 20, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
ZVP

Mike Beliveau and the .36

I just re-read Mike's fine article in Guns f the Old West on the .36 Caliber Colt clones! Packed with information, it gives you a good overview of recent manufacturers and good shooting tales too!
I only own 2 .36 calibers, a Uberti London Colt and a Piettia Police model.
The Piettia is actually a short barreled full size '62,.36 with a fluted cylinder. It holds 6 shots and is my second favorite BP revolver. It's easily "Combat Accurate" @ 21 ft. It holds an inch and 1/2 all day and sometimes really tight when I don't wiggle (like always!). The blade front sight is somewhat hard to center as it is pretty short but right on center. I am still working with longer ranges to actually see where it's centered vertically. Usually, out to 25 yards, if you aim at it ,you hit it!
The famous Piettia grip shape dosen't seem to hinder this revolver. It falls right into the hand with the little finger curled neatly underneath. This gives a really solid and firm hold on the gun from holster to target.
You guessed it. The London is my favorite! Uberti uses the steel gripframe from the "P" series and it is a pure joy to grasp! The center of gravity sits low in the hand and really brings the sights right onto target! WAY different from the krummy Piettia Brass gripframe! I have a .44 Brasser that I filed rounder at the rear and just a touch on the front and that one is at least "liveable".
Back to the London. It's a real tackdriver, often shooting cloverleafs at 21 ft! Again, I haven't tried to find vertical POI for the front sight but it's pretty far out there. A 6:00 hold is needed up close.
For both revolvers I shoot balls with a load of 22 gr of Pyrodex and a Wad over the powder charge. I don't have a chrony to test it but they're not going supersonic for sure. I have read spec's of around 1000fps for similar loads and it sounds about right compared to my .38Special loads in other revolvers. Mind you it's a guess...
Since I read about Hickock's passion for the caliber, I got interested also. It's a very accurate, flat shooting caliber and very miserly on powder too! Evidentllly it was a real penetrator and thus a mankiller when it hit it's mark. If history is any indication, many many soldiers on both sides in the Civil War fell to the .36 caliber. By today's power standards it was weak but Obviouslly not just power kills.
My uses for the .36 are far less martial and as a Target/Plinking caliber it's great!
ZVP