The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2013, 12:38 AM   #1
coondog1

basket cases

Hello i am new to gunsmithing and would like to get some advise on where to get basket case pistols to restore. the only experience i have is restoring an m1 garand that had been in a fire, i had a lot of fun with the project and would like to do more.

i now would like to restore a pistol but i have no idea where to find one. i would like to get one that is somewhat simple to do yet challenging to someone newer with firearms. i was thinking maybe a 1911? And the price range I'm hoping for would be about 100-150$ any advise will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

p.s. this is my first post and I'm not even sure if a basketcase would be under the smithy section. thanks again for any advice.
Old September 22, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
coondog1

P.s.s. i would like a sense of pride after doing this. (If that makes sense.) I would like to feel that I've came out ahead and restored a gun that may have been sold for scrap parts.
Old September 22, 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Gunplummer

Start with revolvers. The old H&R .32 revolvers are everywhere, usually in bad shape (Like that from new), and most parts are hand fit. Most of the moving parts can be made in your garage with tools found there. Most models used flat springs, again these can be made in your garage. Check gun shops and shows.

I would be careful picking up guns that were in a fire. The heat sometimes affects the steel.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Two possible sources....

Go to Gunbroker.com and search for "project revolver" or "parts revolver"

I bought three pistols using that search which I am happy to have at what I consider was a good price.

Be careful. Know what you are buying because a lot of the stuff that is available there is (IMHO) overpriced.

Also, know your skills and what you are willing to tackle. There is a revolver there right now which should probly be left unsold because of its condition.

As a second option you might consider reconditioning a cap and ball revolver replica. Parts are available. Some of the internal will require fitting which is actually a fun endeavor. They are relatively inexpensive.

One caution. If you are restoring to shoot, make sure the weapon is safe to shoot. If you can't do that yourself, a gunsmith should check it before you shoot it. Actually not a bad idea to take the piece to a smith before you start. You might save a lot of time and money.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Two things I forgot....

1. If you find a basket case, you don't want, I am always in the market.

2. Welcome to the forum. Apart from me, the guys here are the best.
Old September 22, 2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Amendment

Disregard my comment about low prices for cap and ball replicas.

I just looked on GB and many of the listings are higher for used pistols than you would pay for a new one.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Hawg

I doubt you finding a cast 1911 frame by itself for 150 and a forged one would probably be twice that.
Old September 22, 2013, 06:42 PM   #8
coondog1

Thanks for all of your help everyone. and the gun that was in a fire was my grandpas. my crazy gma burnt it so when i was little i dug it out of the burn pit and decided to rebuild it. more of a wall hanger. i was thinking that a 1911 would be out of my price range but i thought ide mention it. thanks again for all your help
. ill keep looking for something that seems appealing
Old September 23, 2013, 10:39 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Play with your own guns all you want, but be very careful about fixing guns for others or selling guns you have repaired without an FFL and local licenses if required.

Jim
Old September 24, 2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Gunplummer

Good point. I don't think you can legally repair guns for other people without an FFL, unless they sit and wait for it.
Old September 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

As I keep harping on (my pet "peeve"), for a gunsmith, the FFL is only one aspect (and a small one) of doing business. Let's say, for fun, that someone brings in an old basket case folding trigger revolver and you lose or completely wreck it. Ooops! Turns out it was a baby Paterson, and the guy has the silly idea that you should pay him $100K. No insurance? Tough.

Jim