The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 24, 2017, 09:05 PM   #1
jimbob86

Is this a Nationwide deal?

Along about the 1st week of October, all of our local area Walmarts did a "price rollback" (WallyworldSpeak for "dropped price drasticly to clear shelf space") on all Winchester PowerPoint rifle ammo ..... common calibers like 270WIN, 30-06, 30-30, 243WIN , 308WIN were all dropped to about 13 bucks for a box of 20 .... and were not restocked .... just before deer season in November, Winchester "ExtremePoint" appeared on the shelves ..... looks to be some kind of plastic tipped bullet ..... that costs a few dollars more then the old PP line ....

Is this a Nationwide thing, or just a decision by a local Walmart purchasing agent? Is Winchester discontinuing the PP line? Or are they still making it and Walmart just figured they'd get more mark-up with something labeled "Extreme"? ..... or is it just a local thing?
Old December 27, 2017, 08:01 AM   #2
globemaster3

Don't know if its any indicator, but the Winchester website still shows it under their "Super X" series. For instance, I went through their selection process by using game, caiber, etc for whitetail and .308, and it showed both 150gr and 180 gr "Super X Power Point" as available options.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old December 27, 2017, 09:07 AM   #3
VoodooMountain

It’s thatbway here in Kansas as well

And it’s still on the shelf as well
Also the lgs has it at about $15/box so it’s cheaper stuff anyway apparently. I don’t pay much attention as I reload for most anything .
Old December 27, 2017, 11:18 AM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
I don’t pay much attention as I reload for most anything .
I do as well ...... but $13/box of 20 for loaded ammo vs. $24/bag of 50 for new Winchester 308 brass ...... I can't get bullets, powder and primers for the 17 cent difference .....