The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2017, 01:42 PM   #26
PolarFBear

Dillon Vs Lyman

A final note on my case head aggravation: Stopped in to a Bass Pro, had a Xmas gift card to burn, and picked up a Lyman case gage. This is the model that does six calibers. Tried some of my Speer Lawman reloads. They "passed" on the Lyman gage but "failed" on the Dillon. I guess SAAMI specs are different at the two companies. I trust both firms as a Gold Standard but now I am curious.
Old March 15, 2017, 04:49 PM   #27
jmorris

Quote:
They "passed" on the Lyman gage but "failed" on the Dillon.
It's called tolerance, every machine part has it. Some are large and others small but every blue print has a +\- specification. Worst case would be having a gauge at the + end and a chamber at the - end. I would use the tighter case gauge, myself.
Old March 15, 2017, 04:54 PM   #28
ShootistPRS

Even SAAMI lists a range of dimensions for the case and the chamber for every cartridge they show specs for.
Old March 15, 2017, 05:29 PM   #29
Reloadron

PolarFBear:
Quote:
A final note on my case head aggravation: Stopped in to a Bass Pro, had a Xmas gift card to burn, and picked up a Lyman case gage. This is the model that does six calibers. Tried some of my Speer Lawman reloads. They "passed" on the Lyman gage but "failed" on the Dillon. I guess SAAMI specs are different at the two companies. I trust both firms as a Gold Standard but now I am curious.
Which Lyman case gauge? There are a few things to consider when using a case gauge, starting with which dimensions it actually looks at. For example most case gauges like these:

Lyman
Wilson
Dillon

Look at a few case features but for example ignore case diameter(s). I only used Lyman and Wilson as examples as there are other similar gauges. The manufacturers do explain their gauges and what dimensions they measure. There are a few newer case gauges out there like:

Sheridan Engineering

These gauges are cut to chamber specifications including diameter. Likely the best gauge available is your own chamber. Resize a case, trim as necessary and see if the sized case chambers in your rifle(s). Most off the shelf case gauges are really little more than a Go/NoGo gauge as they really don't provide a numeric value. They can be used with a good straight edge (steel pocket rule) and some good feeler gauges to get a numeric value as long as the case gauge manufacturer tells you what their gauge is and the step values but this will always go back to your chamber.

Ron
Old March 16, 2017, 08:20 AM   #30
jmorris

It's not uncommon for folks that barrel a rifle to make a case gauge using one of the drop off the barrel blank and the reamer used to chamber it.