The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 10, 2000, 10:13 PM   #1
Justin Moore

I decided to pick up one of these Hot Lips magazines to try them out. Much to my surprise it will only feed the first six rounds out of the ten, and leaves the rest of them down in the mag somewhat loose. I have to remove the mag a RAP it hard on its side to get the rest of the rounds to pop up to the top of the feed lips Looks like the mag follower hangs up on the 7th round or something. Was wondering, have any of you guys had this same experience. This was a brand new mag I bought today, still in the package.
Old July 10, 2000, 10:43 PM   #2
WalterGAII

I've fired several thousand rounds through my three 25-rd. Butler Creek Hot Lips mags, with no failures. Wish I'd gotten the Steel Lips, but who knew???
Old July 11, 2000, 12:02 AM   #3
beastman

I have had good luck with Butler Creek.

Stay away from Ramline like the plague.
Old July 11, 2000, 05:16 PM   #4
Justin Moore

Herm, well I guess I just got a bad one then None of the external surfaces on the magazine meet up flush for one thing. I am going to return it to the store and see if they will exchange me for another one and see if that does the trick.
Old July 11, 2000, 05:22 PM   #5
hksigwalther

hmm, never had a problem with my 25 rd BCHLs.

it could just be some foreign material in the mag that's holding up the follower.

I'm looking at one of my clear ones right now with ten rounds in it. It sounds like the follower is hanging up somewhere. The follower and the extension on the side that holds the coil spring seem to have plenty of room for play (especially the follower). There are injection mold ejector pin marks on the inside of the side of the mag where the extension travels that do stick out just a little (~5 mils) in mine. (These are the points where, when the plastic molded part is finished being injection molded, pins will come out to help push out the part from the mold.) It could be that the extension in yours is hanging up at an ejector pin mold location.

Since the mag is pretty tightly put together (not sure if it is friction fit, glued, ultrasonically welded, of just heated together), I would be reluctant to work on it for fear of ruining the mag. The two choices, IMO, are to keep on using it and hopefully whatever is hanging up smooths out or send it back to BC.

------------------
- Ron V.