The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Any reasons against the Mossberg 930 "Home Security" 8rnd model?

Hello,

I'm getting more interested in the idea of the Mossberg 930 Home Security 8 rnd18.5 barrel. Any negatives to the 930 with a factory attached mag extension?

(model 85322, using a random listing to show the model: https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalog/pro...chamber-85322/)
Old April 28, 2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Model12Win

Not that I'm aware of. Looks sharp. I've an 8+1 Rwmington 1100 Tactical and it's fun to blast with 9 rounds of 00, very impressive and would decimate any home intruder.
Old April 29, 2018, 08:53 AM   #3
MarkCO

The 930, like most gas guns that release the shell from the magazine on bolt cycling, is not 100% reliable with longer magazine tubes. Their operational window is based on 3-4 shells in the tube and shell surge creates reliability issues. Especially with the higher recoiling loads, reliability is marginal at best. They also don't last long term, even if you happen to get one that is reliable initially.

Designs that release the shell on the trigger pull (Stoegers, Benellis, 1301, VersaMax, V3, Affinity, etc.) are what you want if you are going to have shell capacity beyond 3 or 4 rounds in an auto-loader.
Old April 29, 2018, 07:02 PM   #4
Model12Win

Reliability has not been "marginal at best" in my 1100 Tactical. In fact, it has been flawless over hundreds of rounds of everything from bulk pack low brass to max dram high brass slugs and buckshot.

No "shell surge" or any other nonsense.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:55 AM   #5
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
The 930, like most gas guns that release the shell from the magazine on bolt cycling, is not 100% reliable with longer magazine tubes. Their operational window is based on 3-4 shells in the tube and shell surge creates reliability issues. Especially with the higher recoiling loads, reliability is marginal at best. They also don't last long term, even if you happen to get one that is reliable initially.

Designs that release the shell on the trigger pull (Stoegers, Benellis, 1301, VersaMax, V3, Affinity, etc.) are what you want if you are going to have shell capacity beyond 3 or 4 rounds in an auto-loader.
I have a Tactical version of the Mossberg 930 SPX with 8 round capacity and once in a while it will double feed and jam up the gun. The length of time to clear it has varied in the 3 or 4 times I remembering it happening but that is significantly longer than the few times clearing my pump shotgun because I short shucked it. I don't know if double feeds happen to every semi-auto shotgun or not but I can attest that it has happened to my 930.
Old May 12, 2018, 09:51 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

One person all for it, one person totally against the design.

So...which is it? My money is burning a hole in my pocket...just not for junk
Old May 12, 2018, 10:15 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Yeh the bad guy will wait till you clear a jam!!!!
Old May 12, 2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Minorcan

MarkCo and jaguarxk120, do you own a Mossberg 930 or have you spent any significant amount of time shooting one? I own one and have put several thousands rounds through it. It needs a normal amount of cleaning like any gun. Never had a misfire or jam. It is my home defense gun. Mine is a JM version and the cost was only about $50 more. The JM version is the version Jerry Miculek uses for competition. I think Jerry knows if it’s a good/reliable shotgun better tha most folks. Sorry but I trust my experience and Jerry more than ya’ll.
Old May 12, 2018, 01:36 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

ATN is the one that had issues with a jam. I for one do not own one and chances are
I never will since I do not care for that style of shotgun.
You have a special JM edition gun built differently from the run of the mill or off the shelf
stuff.
Do they work oh yes they do. BUT if I have a misfire on my S&W Model 29 it is just
another pull of the trigger to the next cartridge.
And 240 grains of lead propelled by 21 grains of H-110 makes for a great nightstand gun.
Old May 12, 2018, 09:05 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

The JM pro was $450 for a long time. Now it's skyrocketed close to $600. I was really considering one a year or two ago, but still am not sure about the weird barrel lengths of 22 or 24 inches.

When it was $450, I heard the upgrades in chrome lining and such were well worth it.

Now that it's into the 600 dollar region, I'm wondering about this guy. The Home Security model often still pops up for $350-400.
Old May 13, 2018, 03:02 PM   #11
jmr40

Mossberg builds a good pump action. Every semi-auto they've ever made has had a reputation as less reliable than other brands. The 930 seems to be better than their previous attempts, but not something I'd want to trust with my life.

Winston Churchill
Old May 15, 2018, 08:08 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
The JM version is the version Jerry Miculek uses for competition. I think Jerry knows if it’s a good/reliable shotgun better tha most folks.
The difference is, when a shotgun malfunctions in competition, there are no serious or potentially life-changing (or -ending) ramifications.

This may not be the case in a defensive situation.

Also - last I checked, Jerry Miculek is endorsed by Mossberg, and has licensed his name to be used by them. He has a financial obligation to tell you how great their products are.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:56 AM   #13
FITASC

But that only works as long as he continues to win. Is he going to take a chance on not winning by using a product that doesn't work as intended?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 15, 2018, 09:06 AM   #14
Rifletom

I have /shoot a 930. But, it is the field version with 28" barrel, std magazine. I realize this is different than what has been discussed here, but, it is a very reliable shotgun in the field. I use mine strictly for upland birds and trap now and then. Just thought I'd toss this into the mix.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:20 PM   #15
MagnumWill

Not gonna lie, my 870 has jammed a lot more than the SLP Mark I I had. The SLP jammed like crazy when I first got it, and had the piston “sealed” and it was 100% after that.

As with any gun...make sure it’s reliable...before relying on it, regardless of what it is.
Old May 17, 2018, 07:32 AM   #16
kraigwy

I cant tell you about the 930 HD Shotgun but I do have the 930 930 JERRY MICULEK PRO SERIES I use in 3 gun. Over the years its proved quite reliable, accurate and easy to shoot.

I disagree with the extended magagines not being reliable as mentioned above. I've found they work quite well with Bird Shot, Slugs and Buck shot.

You go through a lot of rounds in 3-gun matches, so I believe that to be a venue for testing the reliability.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 17, 2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Bwillsonhunter4

its a mossberg if you want a good shotgun go remington
Old May 17, 2018, 08:57 AM   #18
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwillsonhunter4 View Post
its a mossberg if you want a good shotgun go remington

I don’t have negative feelings towards Mossberg, but feel pretty close to that. They work, but even with what Remington is putting out, you can get further with one if you look it over prior to buying (or have Remington fix any issues that come up).

I’m not a fan of the controls on a Mossberg, especially the safety. With my TAC-14, it would be very awkward with the brace setup (I run it both ways... Shockwave grip would be fine on both). Not really a big deal with the 930, unless you decide on a pistol grip stock, but just my view of Mossberg as a whole.

Actually just sold my last Mossberg (really a Turkish import), which was my trap gun (SRII). Was back to Mossberg twice, but even the 500 JIC2 I had was ROUGH (not a big deal, but the stem of the bead was protruding into the barrel... something you don’t really see with Remington barrels). Have two 11-87s, both of which are my hunting guns. More ideal for me to shoot trap with one of those over a completely different shotgun... especially one that is break-open compared to autoloader.
Old May 17, 2018, 09:08 AM   #19
Wyosmith

Gunsmith answer:
#1 to reply to this >>> Its a mossberg. if you want a good shotgun go remington
Nope.
I have to fix 870s not too infrequently. I almost never have to fix a Mossberg 500 or then variants of them (different model number)

#2 I have a M500 28" 12 gauge bird gun I converted to an 8 shot model with a heavier duty mag spring, and barrel cut to 22". I did that conversion about 10 years ago. It's never "hick-uped" one time. It's been 100% reliable so far.

So I'd say get one. I would agree with CragWy that you should shoot it quite a lot before you fully trust it, but I will say the same of all guns. If you buy one and get about 8 boxes of high brass "duck-loads" and it goes through all 8 boxes without fail I'd make a guess it will keep going for a lot more.

One more note:
2-3/4" shells have been loaded for over 100 years and with buck shot and with slugs they have been effective on humans and even on large and dangerous animals with a very good track record. They work supper well with success being more common then failure. The use of 3" or even 3.5" does not diminish the lethality of the shell, but I doubt it adds much in home defense situations or even if you had to put down a big bear, but they kick harder, which makes recovery slower, cost more, and reduce the magazine capacity. Stick with the older tried and true 2-3/4" shells
Old May 17, 2018, 04:16 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
But that only works as long as he continues to win. Is he going to take a chance on not winning by using a product that doesn't work as intended?
Of course, winning in a competition and winning in a defensive encounter are two different things.

That said, the OP hasn't really stated his use for this gun.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:55 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

I won't buy a Remington or Mossberg semi-auto. I have owned both and neither really impressed me. Next will be a benelli and if that doean't do the trick I will just give up scatterguns.
Except for my folders.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2018, 11:14 PM   #22
JERRYS.

https://ibb.co/b5PYXd

mine was the stock 4+1. I added a choate +2 and have not had any problems with cycling.
Old June 7, 2018, 10:35 AM   #23
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
MarkCo and jaguarxk120, do you own a Mossberg 930 or have you spent any significant amount of time shooting one? I own one and have put several thousands rounds through it. It needs a normal amount of cleaning like any gun. Never had a misfire or jam. It is my home defense gun. Mine is a JM version and the cost was only about $50 more. The JM version is the version Jerry Miculek uses for competition. I think Jerry knows if it’s a good/reliable shotgun better tha most folks. Sorry but I trust my experience and Jerry more than ya’ll.
Yes, I owned one, put about 3K through one. Have fixed a lot of them, but now I won't even work on them. I have designed shotgun configurations for 3 manufacturers, including Remington. Was sponsored by Benelli for a few years, but let that go so I could spent more time working on, and testing different makes.
Old June 7, 2018, 10:38 AM   #24
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Jerry has, in fact, lost several matches due to his shotgun going down. I am friends with Jerry and I have the utmost respect for him, but it is a money thing for him right now. Jerry is also a master machinist/gunsmith. He takes his allotment and chooses the best, then tinkers with it a good bit. He goes through more than one a season.
Old June 9, 2018, 07:33 AM   #25
wild cat mccane

Does any other company make a similar configuration-ie no looking like an after thought to have an 18" barrel with 8 rnds?