The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2018, 06:40 PM   #1
BigHank

Jennings J22

I have a safe full of firearms,but this little 22 drives me nuts. Can’t get it to fire more than 2 or 3 rounds before it jams. I use good ammunition,but it don’t care. I think it hates me because I carry a Ruger. Any Ideas.
Old April 21, 2018, 06:43 PM   #2
JMag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHank View Post
I have a safe full of firearms,but this little 22 drives me nuts. Can’t get it to fire more than 2 or 3 rounds before it jams. I use good ammunition,but it don’t care. I think it hates me because I carry a Ruger. Any Ideas.

It can’t help it; it’s a Jennings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 21, 2018, 06:45 PM   #3
JERRYS.

youtube has a few videos of tweaking rough areas of the J22 to make it run smoothly.
Old April 21, 2018, 07:00 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHank View Post
Uhhh, paperweight?

I had one, back in the '90s. One of the worst guns I have owned.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 21, 2018, 07:37 PM   #5
moosemike

I had one for about 15years. After putting a couple hundred rounds through it was very reliable.
Old April 21, 2018, 07:44 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Of all the Jennings, the .22 is the only one worth keeping because 1. you won't get anything for it and 2. it will last longer than centerfire models.

Check out youtube, check your recoil spring, and give it a good lube job.
Old April 21, 2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You can get three rounds before it jams? You're doing well.
Old April 21, 2018, 08:10 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The "J" stands for "Junk."
Most semiauto feeding problems are caused by defective magazines.
Old April 21, 2018, 09:45 PM   #9
blchandl2

Had one. The only ammo that was remotely reliable was CCI Stingers.
Old April 22, 2018, 09:47 AM   #10
k4swb

Yep, clean gun and shoot Stingers.
Old April 22, 2018, 09:59 AM   #11
kenny53

I watched a you tube video on the that very gun yesterday. The guy got all new springs from Jennings, replaced them all, cleaned the gun and used hot ammo. He got a couple of mags of ammo to fire and then it jammed. I really don't think there is hope for a Jennings. Sorry brother.

Welcome to the forum.
Old April 22, 2018, 11:41 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

Bryco Arms, Jennings' parent company, declared bankruptcy in 2003. No place to buy springs from.
In any case, anything from Jennings is well known for being junk. Literally made out of a zinc alloy. Zinc alloys are otherwise known as "pot metal". You really would not want a pot made out of a zinc alloy either.
Put it way in the back of your safe where the Ruger can't see it. Or find a deep river.
Old April 22, 2018, 12:19 PM   #13
bn12gg

I happen to own a pretty little chrome model J22. -- really attractive little Saturday night special. But, it's a jamomatic as well. Some success with CCI mini mags and Stingers.

.02. David.
Old April 22, 2018, 07:36 PM   #14
thickstrings

Maybe 10 yrs. ago I walked into the local Pawn and the owner says, " Have I got a deal for you" 3 pistols for 75$...A Tanfoglio Giuseppe .25, a Davis p35 in .32, and a Jennings....in.22lr. Seems the local police had confiscated these and were selling them. Well, The Davis worked ok after a clean and oil, it ejects empties back in your face.The Giuseppe had to be cleaned and oiled, lips bent on mag, remove tape on grip and replace, Then would fire a clip. But the Jennings was a mystery. Upon further investigation, I found that The Jiminez company offered warranty work...I called and sent it in and they fixed it, gave me a new barrel and another clip.....free I don't know if they still do. It works ok, with high power .22's. But I still have all 3, Can't say I've fired them since I got them to work. I think its time to take them back to the pawn shop.. http://jimenezarmsinc.com/

Last edited by thickstrings; April 22, 2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old April 22, 2018, 07:50 PM   #15
blchandl2

There are some people who like them. I sold mine to a guy who said he buys every one he can find. I insisted on doing a transfer through a FFL. He gave me a creepy vibe so I wanted a background check on him.
Old April 22, 2018, 08:14 PM   #16
Ibmikey

Jennings, RG, Bryco and a few other cheapies were the only firearms I didn’t mind cutting up when firearms destruction orders came out. You cannot imagine the smoke colors and burning metal odors that came from those poor quality “firearms”.
Old April 22, 2018, 08:34 PM   #17
thickstrings

I'd have to agree with the general consensus...They are crap... But, I have 3 pieces of crap......
Old April 22, 2018, 09:00 PM   #18
hdwhit

Quote:
T. O'Heir wrote:
Literally made out of a zinc alloy.
Correct. And your point? Lots of guns have been made out of zinc alloys over the years. When the material is used consistent with is properties and limitations, there's nothing any more wrong with zinc alloy parts on a firearm than parts made out of wood, plastic or aluminum.
Old April 22, 2018, 09:03 PM   #19
hdwhit

Quote:
Ibmikey wrote:
Jennings, RG, Bryco and a few other cheapies were the only firearms I didn’t mind cutting up
I have an RG-25 that was old and well-used when I bought it more than 40 years ago. It is the only pistol I own that I have ever had to actually use in self-defense and it did not let me down.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:14 AM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

Nonetheless, welcome to TFL, BigHank!
Old April 23, 2018, 08:57 AM   #21
Fishbed77

A reliable Jennings would be missing the point.

It would be like asking a paper bag to be good travel luggage, a Corvette to be a good towing vehicle, or a supermodel to be a good cook.

You can't have it all.
Old April 23, 2018, 05:55 PM   #22
Carmady

What the Jennings lacks in reliability and stopping power, it more than makes up for with its logo. Especially on a chrome plated specimen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jennings.jpg (125.6 KB, 81 views)
Old April 23, 2018, 07:31 PM   #23
bn12gg

Carmady -- Pretty J22 specimen. Mine sports walnut -- I like your faux grips !!

.02. David.
Old April 23, 2018, 10:49 PM   #24
Carmady

Quote:
Carmady -- Pretty J22 specimen. Mine sports walnut -- I like your faux grips !!
That's not my gun, an online pic I borrowed.

It's kind of funny, in the logo is the gun in his right hand a backup for the sword in his left?
Old April 23, 2018, 11:45 PM   #25
Ibmikey

Hdwhit, I did not suggest the cheapies will never fire, RG’s have probably taken more than a few lives as they were prevalent with gang members and crimes we investigated. I had a case where the bad guy upon being confronted and unable to flee pulled a Raven from a pocket, put it over his heart and fired. I got the pistol away from him and he fell to the floor....inspection of the “corpse” revealed a half pint of booze in his pocket which broke releasing the whiskey and capturing the .25 slug in the bottom. Soggy but unharmed idiot went to the pokey.
I am very happy your RG saved your bacon but I prefer to have a weapon with a better track record.