The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 17, 2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Swifty Morgan

What do Do With Spare 24x Scope?

I bought a Vortex PST Gen II Viper 6x24 for my Ruger Precision Rifle. Or at least I thought I did. I accidentally bought a Gen I. I turned around and bought a Gen II.

I know I sound like a cork-sniffer, but I showed up for my first long-range class with all the wrong stuff, and when my teacher told me what I should get, I really wanted to get exactly what he recommended. He said I should get the Gen II. I don't want to show up with the wrong equipment again, even though I know there isn't much difference between these scopes. I wanted to do it right.

Problem: what do I do with the Gen I?

I have a buddy who wants to take the course. If I return the scope, I'll eat a $100 loss, plus shipping. I can sell it to my buddy for what the vendor will pay me, and he'll get a great deal.

On the other hand, I could stick it on another rifle which doesn't really need the very best glass I'm willing to pay for.

I have two candidates. The first is the LR-308 I used for my class. The second is a T/C rifle in .204 Ruger. My understanding is that both cartridges poop out at around 800 yards.

I don't know if there is any reason to have 24x on a .308, but I have dreams of shooting prairie dogs some day, and maybe 24x would be a good thing to have on a .204.

Advice welcome.
Old July 17, 2020, 12:13 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Be a good friend.

Or put it on the .204.
While totally unnecessary, high magnification can be fun on varmint popping rigs.
My primary poodle erasers have 20x (.243 Win) and 16x (6x45mm). The 20x has been on that rifle its whole life, even though it started as a .220 Swift.
Though, they haven't seen much use in quite some time. There aren't as many varmints on public ground any more, and people willing to pay to shoot sod poodles have gotten most of the previously accessible private ground locked up.
Old July 17, 2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Swifty Morgan

Quote:
people willing to pay to shoot sod poodles have gotten most of the previously accessible private ground locked up
Now I feel guilty even though I haven't done it yet.
Old July 17, 2020, 02:08 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Sounds like you need to buy another rifle,,,

Just sayin'

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 17, 2020, 02:25 PM   #5
Swifty Morgan

Oh, thanks. That was REAL helpful. Don't talk to an addict like that.

I...I think I could fit one more in the hall closet...

I will not think about 6mm ARC. I will not think about 6mm ARC...
Old July 17, 2020, 03:08 PM   #6
aarondhgraham

Just doin' what's right my friend,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 17, 2020, 05:07 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Now I feel guilty even though I haven't done it yet.
It's life, and just like the feral hog "problem".

"Help! I've got hogs/varmints running amok on my property. They're tearing everything up! Someone, please help!"

--Okay. When, where, what's allowed, and show me how I can make sure the situation remains safe for everyone in the area.

"Sure thing! Any time. Just call ahead, so I know you're here, or so I can stop you and give you a better time."

And then, one day, Mr. Bigshot responds to the cry for help with, "Hey, if you can make sure no one else gets on the property to shoot them vermints before me, I'll give you five hunnerd bucks."
(You are not Mr. Bigshot. He came along quite some time ago.)

Other landowners hear about it, and the situation turns to:

"Help! I've got hogs/varmints running amok on my property. They're tearing everything up! Someone, please help!"

--Okay. When, where, and show me how I can make sure the situation remains safe for everyone in the area.

"Sure thing! It's $300 per person, per day, you can only shoot between 1 and 3 pm, and until your third year here, you have to walk in the 2.5 miles from the highway and only get access to the lower pasture."

And then they complain that they're: A) Not making any money, because no one is paying. And, B) Still having issues with hogs/varmints.

I saw it with hogs when I was living in the South (and still see similar complaints / reports), and it's still going on in this region for prairie dogs (Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Montana, the Dakotas... it's all the same story).

People that allow access to their land, even if just friends and family, don't have these problems. Yet, the guys that are greedy about it just keep complaining, while jacking the prices up further.
Old July 17, 2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Swifty Morgan

Quote:
You are not Mr. Bigshot.
Not yet. Heh heh.

I can understand charging, because why wouldn't you? But charging so much the job never gets done is foolish.

Here in Florida, when the pythons came in, they decided to let people kill them because they were a plague. Then they charged for permits. DOH.

I have to have a hunting license to shoot hogs, coons, and coyotes. Explain that.
Old July 17, 2020, 09:32 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

It's that way in many states.

Anyway...
Sorry about the sidetrack.

I think the .204 or being a good friend are the best uses for the scope.