The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 3, 2019, 03:56 PM   #1
riffraff

Any opinions on a faxon pencil versus gunner profile?

Am changing out the barrel on my lightweight AR, basically just tinkering, want to get a faxon pinned flash hider model to be just a little shorter. It's got an aero pencil barrel now, point is a very light carbine - SBR feel that is a legal rifle basically..

Looks like 2.4 ounces difference.. not sure I 100% trust the specs but theoretically its it's not much and the extra weight of the gunner is by the receiver anyway.. but then pencil is lighter and I want light, and I dont think you can do any harm to a pencil barrel semi auto anyway (other than loss of accuracy when hot)...

Anyone already debate this and have an opinion?
Old September 3, 2019, 06:04 PM   #2
zukiphile

I've a faxon 16" pencil barrel on a carbine with a New Frontier polymer lower, carbon fiber free float tube, MFT stock and a small optic. With its H3 buffer, it comes in at 5 pounds 14 ounces. That's light enough that it can be shot just like a pistol.

Accuracy with Wolf steel cased is no better than 4moa. With Wolf Gold/Privi, it's a bit better, maybe less than 3moa, but not much less. You might do better.

My idea was something light that didn't incorporate any exotic parts. I'm satisfied with it, but since I only take it to a range to shoot it, I do wonder why I thought it would be such a great idea.
Old September 4, 2019, 08:20 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

One of my rifles is a Faxon 14.5 pencil, with the perm muzzle brake on it. I've had no issues with it, and haven't noticed any real impact from heat on the group sizes. It's typically under 2moa with Federal M193, and if it's anything like my 18" Gunner, it'll be right at an MOA shooter with good ammo.
Old September 5, 2019, 02:38 PM   #4
DMK

Quote:
Anyone already debate this and have an opinion?
I usually go with pencil barrels. I like my rifles to be light and handy.

I think the theory behind the Gunner is to give you the ability for a higher rate of fire. Basically for three gun and other run and gun match use.

That said, I don't mag dump, but I'll rapid fire 20rds at steel, reload and go another 20, then let the rifle cool with the action open for 20-30 min while I shoot a different gun. Pencils work fine for my needs. I never see a wandering zero or groups opening up in my shooting.

I'll be honest though. 2MOA is perfectly adequate for my needs, though obviously I see much better than that when testing and zeroing from a rest.