The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 26, 2014, 03:47 PM   #1
jarmscharms

MP40 Original

Someone I know told me his grandfather shipped an MP40 Schmeisser from Germany during WWII. It has been hidden since. Is there a way to take legal possession and sale this firearm?
Old May 26, 2014, 04:18 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless the gun was registered with the Federal government, either after it was acquired or during the 1968 amnesty, the answer is NO. The gun is contraband and illegal to possess.

It cannot be deactivated, or welded up, or plugged with chewing gum, or any of the other suggestions you may receive. It can't even be legally destroyed or thrown away or dropped in a lake because that would be destroying evidence of a felony.

The only way for someone who finds a machinegun that way to "get right" is to call the BATFE or the police and "abandon" (surrender) the firearm to them. I recommend BATFE; they handle that kind of thing all the time, and they will also check to see if the gun is registered, which the local police probably won't bother to do.

How about tearing it down and surrendering only the receiver? OK, but talk to BATFE first. The law requires than any person finding contraband (say a kilo of heroin) notify the authorities immediately, not after shooting up half of it or disassembling the illegal gun and putting ads in Shotgun News for the parts.

Some will advise giving it to a museum, but that indicates the owner knows what it is and that it is illegal to own, so he would be violating the law while he talks to the museum. It also presupposes that the museum will accept the donation; only a government museum can legally do so and not all will. Those that won't may call the police or BATFE anyway and the result will be more trouble for the owner.

Jim
Old May 26, 2014, 04:48 PM   #3
jarmscharms

RE: MP40

That is what I thought but was not sure. Thank you for the post.