The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Grey_Lion

rugged shooting glasses capable of withstanding some abuse?

I've read through several threads here and see Oakley, and Pilla, and a couple other names amongst the threads, but all I'm finding are the partial frame shooting glasses some of which are AMAZINGLY overpriced.

I broke 2 old pair of these in the course of shooting this weekend. One pair has been in my rifle case amongst magazines and brass and that case gets tossed about like a duffel bag from time to time. No mystery why that pair bought it. The other pair spent much of it's life in an ammo can with several boxes of ammo and cleaning gear and that box see's it's amount of abuse as well - so no serious mystery why that pair didn't survive long.

I'd like a rugged pair of shooting glasses under $50 that will survive some abuse - but I haven't yet seen what I'm looking for. Emphasis on rugged.

Recommendations wanted. And I think I'll go with clear lenses this time - I'm pretty much over the yellow ones.
Old August 2, 2020, 09:01 PM   #2
LeverGunFan

I use Uvex Protégé safety glasses, several models meet the Mil V0 ballistic test standard, and they come in several different lens tints. The big advantage for me is that they can be purchased for about $10, so if they are lost or damaged it's not a big loss. I keep several pairs on hand just in case...
Old August 2, 2020, 09:43 PM   #3
Sharkbite

With the way the OP takes care of his eye pro, my only recommendation is GO CHEAP.

I use Oakley prescriptions, so my eye pro costs north of $400 a pair. Sunglasses and clear (for indoors). Im at $1000 a year in eye pro. Now, shooting is my profession, so i shell out the duckets. But, i take care of these items of gear

If you are going to throw em around...go cheap.
Old August 2, 2020, 09:50 PM   #4
AzShooter

I use Oakley and have for at least 30 years. They are the best. Every once in a while you can get them on sale from MidwayUSA. I normally buy the set with replaceable lenses for different ranges like shooting indoors or out in the bright sun.
Old August 2, 2020, 10:50 PM   #5
burrhead

I use to wear wrap around sunglasses until I blew up a Glock 21. Peppered my face with bits of plastic but, other than a bloody nose and a cut thumb, no real damage. Double charge of BE. I bought a pair of Wiley-X SG-1 goggles with clear lenses that cost more than $50 but then my eyes are worth a lot to me. Also bought a RCBS lockout die.

You pay your money and take your chances.

https://wileyx.com/tactical/sg-1-goggles-71

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 3, 2020, 09:04 AM   #6
PolarFBear

Pretty happy with what I get from Dillon for 19.95. Especially like the bifocal feature. And, the biocal can be either the traditional bottom or for EXTRA COST upper. Just can not justify $$$s for Oakleys.