The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Big Caliber

Cu plated bullets for 9mm... velocities?

I'm getting back into reloading for my lil S&W after several years of shooting revolvers. In my ignorance, I bought some copper plated bullets. (Made by Xtreme) They are 115 grain round nose. Now, way back when, I found loading up some 147hp's to 800fps (per Accurate Arms manual), would cause the gun to jam by catching the spent case in the ejection port. Since purchasing the plated stuff I learned I shouldn't push them faster than a non-jacketed lead bullet or I will run into severe metal fouling problems. So would I be ok loading these up to say, 900fps, using data for a lead swc w/o boogering up the barrel? Also, has any ever used this brand of bullet and how'd you like them?
Old November 20, 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Walkalong

I routinely shoot plated 115 Gr bullets in 9MM at max jacketed levels in barrels from 3 to 16" with good accuracy and no problems. That said, I recommend that you stop a little short of max jacketed data.

You do not need to limit yourself to lead data with plated bullets.

X-Treme makes a good bullet. I really like their 158 Gr SWC bullet. I have not tried their 9MM bullets simply because I still have plenty of Raniers etc.

Here is a link to some plated bullet data from Midway back in the day.
Old November 21, 2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Big Caliber

Thanks Walkalong. Then I'll just load them to low velocities listed for the jacketed bullets.