The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 8, 2001, 09:50 PM   #1
handgunhunting

Can anyone tell me if and if any what states outlawed the use of muzzle breaks on hunting guns?
Old February 9, 2001, 01:01 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since muzzle brakes are recoil-reducers, and not even flash-hiders on "evil" guns, I know of no state which has outlawed them at all. Never underestimate the power of legislative stupidity, but this is a new idea to me.

Offhand, I can't even think of an argument against them, coming from the Weirdlie Anti-hunter crowd. Heck, since most muzzle brakes make the rifle louder--or seem louder--I'd think they'd like them!

, Art

Old February 9, 2001, 08:29 AM   #3
handgunhunting

the reason I was given, though unsubstantiated was the muzzle blast being so loud people where complaining of it and some say it could cause an avalanche in the mountains
Old February 9, 2001, 08:57 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Gunshop commando....

The noise is the same - just directed in different directions. Someone is pulling your leg.

There are some guides who hate muzzle brakes. Different concern, they worry about their hearing. Valid point for them.

Giz
Old February 9, 2001, 12:27 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

The noise may be the "same", but as with most things, its the personal perception that matters, and muzzle brakes are definitely louder to most folks as they direct gas to the sides or up and down instead of in a forward projected cone. My first deer rifle was a 94 Mauser with a Herters muzzle brake that just barely made the rifle barrel 18inches. Took me years to get rid of the flinch from the noise. Recoil on the other hand has never bothered me.