The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 18, 2014, 06:51 PM   #1
bn12gg

Colt Match Target Bullseye Elephant Ear Grips

I have a grip question for the Colt experts. How do you determine the authenticity of elephant ear grips? Versus high quality reproductions ?

Are the backs to the originals marked in a unique way ? I note most "originals" are a dark walnut -- were any originals produced in a light walnut coloring ?

Thanks for a reply.

David

Last edited by bn12gg; August 18, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old August 18, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Obviously, wood is a natural product and there will be some color variation, but I have never seen really light color grips on any Woodsman.

Jim
Old August 18, 2014, 08:51 PM   #3
trigger643

It is possible they were cleaned at some point. Originally they were stained dark walnut.

I've encountered several sets of repro grips over the last few years, but haven't seen a light colored set that hadn't been over zealously cleaned (either repro or original).
Old August 18, 2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Savage99

I looked at the elephant ear grips on my Colt Bullseye Match Target and they look original. There are escutcheons perhaps made of nickel where the one grip screw goes through the grip and frame. One to each side of the grip.

The screw itself looks old and original. There is a small hole in the front of the grip low on the grip. There is no screw in this hole in my Colt.

The wood on mine is darker than those in the picture. The checkering is somewhat worn on my grips. I have shot my MT over the years.

Here is a picture of a Bullseye Match Target that I got from the net. My grips look just about like these. Note the Colt nickel logo on the grip. There is one on each side and it shows normal wear.

There is no proof that my grip is original nor are there any marks inside. The grip is one piece.

Old August 19, 2014, 07:07 AM   #5
bn12gg

Thanks folks. The comments are very helpful as we are looking at an elephant eared bullseye for possible purchase.

David