The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 2, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Rob62

SBS Marking requirement question- where can the engraving go and who does it

I am in the process of getting my tax stamp for a self made SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun). The form 1 packet will be dropped in the mail tomorrow. So it will be interesting to see when I get the tax stamp back.

My question involves the SBS marking requirements. I am making this SBS through a Trust and understand what must be engraved and the sizes involved i.e. "Rob62 Revocable Living Trust, Mytown, GA"

What I am not 100% sure about is must this info be engraved on the receiver, or can I as the below reference seems to clearly say, put the trust name and city/state on the barrel of the shotgun ? I am 99% certain I can, but most references I read about SBR/SBS's, the owners appear to engrave the receivers.

I am working with a Rem 870 Express so the name of original manufacturer, Remington, and the serial number is already on the receiver. So all that would have to be added is the trust info.

FWIW - Orion Arms, which I read does a lot of this type of engraving does not engrave barrels - not because its not kosher, just that they are not set up for it.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year all,

Rob

Edited to add - found an engraver - a fellow forum member
--------------------
ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92) describes what is necessary to engrave on a SBR or SBS when one is manufacturing. This is not necessary if you purchase one that is already manufactured as it will have been done for you.

1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;
2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;
A) The model;
B) The caliber or gage;
C) Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)
The above mentioned information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

Last edited by Rob62; January 3, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Yes, on the barrel is kosher.

Just remember that the receiver is the serial numbered part and therefore it is the NFA item. If you change barrels, the gun is no longer engraved. Might not be a problem for you if you don't plan on ever changing barrels...

Also, it's good if you want to sell the gun. You can remove the engraved (short) barrel and have the ATF remove your gun from the registry and you can sell it as a title 1 firearm and it won't have your info engraved on the receiver..
Old January 3, 2012, 03:26 AM   #3
David Hineline

Marking on the barrel is fine, as if marking any barrel you put on it in the future.

Marking the receiver is also fine.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Rob62

Thanks for confirming what I was fairly sure of.

Now can anyone recommend an engraver that will do the barrel?

Regards,
Rob

Edited to add - found an engraver - a fellow forum member

Last edited by Rob62; January 3, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:03 PM   #5
David Hineline

Since there is not even a firearm involved any local trophy shop or mall type gift engraving/jewelry place should be able to do this.

If you can't find anyone I can do diamond drag on the barrel for $25 and you pay shipping both ways.