The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 24, 2016, 09:32 AM   #1
ammo.crafter

CCW

Recently got my CCW and was wondering what others do to keep their pants from drooping down when carrying IWB.

Not a suspender person, but curious what others do.

Thanks.
Old September 24, 2016, 09:40 AM   #2
burrhead

A good gunbelt cinch sorta tight and a tucked-in shirt, even if it's an under shirt. For everyday wear I use a Wilderness Instructors belt, which has infinite tension adjustment.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 24, 2016, 10:10 AM   #3
75218ron

I would have that problem if I carried, due to pot belly and narrow hips....hahahahaha.....I would think that a good belt plus a very light gun would be the best a person could do if he didn't want to wear suspenders...lol.
Old September 24, 2016, 10:14 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
For everyday wear I use a Wilderness Instructors belt, which has infinite tension adjustment.
I use a 5.11 belt, but agree that the adjustability of this style belt make a big difference.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 24, 2016, 10:14 AM   #5
Targa

Yeh a belt will work fine, doesn't really matter what belt. I have never had an issue with my pants staying up while carrying IWB, I usually wear pants that are a bit looser in the waist because the IWB holster acts as a wedge between my waist and the pants which tightens them up nicely.
Old September 24, 2016, 10:20 AM   #6
Don P

Quote:
Recently got my CCW and was wondering what others do to keep their pants from drooping down when carrying IWB.
Its called a good, stiff/sturdy gun belt
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 24, 2016, 10:45 AM   #7
TailGator

A good belt is the key. I have two Beltman belts, black and brown, and they really do the job.

FWIW, Beltman the company changed hands a few months ago. The new owner took the time to email at least some previous customers, including me. The email was downright reverent about the quality of the product and his intention to keep the quality and customer service at a very high level. I haven't bought any belts since then, but the tone of the email made me think I could go back to them with confidence.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Cemo

Suspenders rule, along with a good belt.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Eazyeach

I use a kore essentials gun belt. Instead of the usual holes in a belt it has a track system that is adjustable in 1/4" increments. Works great for this portly fellow. I've had it for about a month and I'm looking at getting rid of my other gun belts and buying another kore essentials belt.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:35 AM   #10
chaim

A cheaper fashion belt like you can buy at the department stores isn't going to cut it except maybe with the lightest weight micro/pocket sized 9mms and smaller.

What you need is a quality gun belt. They are made by many holster makers, and there are also some dedicated belt makers. I like Bullhide Belts best myself:
https://www.bullhidebelts.com/collections/gun-belts
Old September 24, 2016, 11:40 AM   #11
JoseyWales1976

I'd probably start by looping a sturdy belt through those pant loop things attached to your pants. I don't know if that's what they're there for, but it seems to do the trick.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:46 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...doesn't really matter what belt..." Yeah it does. A cheap thin belt won't hold the extra weight and the pistol will sag in the holster. There are such things as 'dress' gun belts. Cheap they ain't though. Buy some 8 ounce leather and make your own.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:58 AM   #13
JoseyWales1976

I agree. Having a proper "gun belt" makes all the difference. My M9 weighs over 2.5 lbs. I wouldn't be able to carry it if it weren't for my 2-inch top grain cowhide belt.
Old September 24, 2016, 12:04 PM   #14
SaxonPig

One of the many problems with CC. Why I hate carrying a gun. My solution was the smallest and lightest gun I could get away with. Still don't like having it on me.
Old September 24, 2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Has anyone mentioned getting a good belt yet?

Personally, I use an Aker B21 in brown, or a DeSantis Econobelt in black, depending on my attire for the day.
Old September 24, 2016, 02:27 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

The thread has been cleaned up. Let's stay on topic, please.
Old September 24, 2016, 02:55 PM   #17
ammo.crafter

depants

Thanks all.

I'm using an Aliengear IWB holster along with an Aliengear steel lined leather belt.

I'm thinking some sit ups wouldn't hurt.
Old September 24, 2016, 03:11 PM   #18
K_Mac

Quote:
I'm thinking some sit ups wouldn't hurt.
I find that sit-ups when combined with table push-backs to be more effective.

I have put on some weight lately because of health issues keeping me from getting enough exercise. Concealed carry has become a little more challenging for me too.
Old September 24, 2016, 06:13 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:

Not a suspender person, but curious what others do.
Get a good belt. Stiff, and 1.5" inches (or wider).

A Stuffmart(R) belt absolutely won't do. You will end up spending some bucks to get a good enough belt.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 25, 2016, 06:11 AM   #20
mrdaputer

I went with captain itch had him put in a stiffener 3 years back and it still does a awesome job. I carried a XD 40 service for a couple of years till I got my PPQ

Last edited by mrdaputer; September 25, 2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old September 25, 2016, 09:29 AM   #21
t45

Most will tell you to get a good gun belt. They are 100% right. I started out using a slightly heavier dress belt and struggled. I finally went with a dedicated gun belt with steel reinforcement and it made all the difference in the world.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:41 AM   #22
Don P

Quote:
FWIW, Beltman the company changed hands a few months ago. The new owner took the time to email at least some previous customers
Thanks for the info. Didn't get the email so this is great. probably had something he had in mind with the move from NC to Utah or Idaho
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 25, 2016, 02:17 PM   #23
Targa

Quote:
"...doesn't really matter what belt..." Yeah it does. A cheap thin belt won't hold the extra weight and the pistol will sag in the holster.
Lol....sounds good, I will remember that. I just took the dogs for a walk carrying IWB, I didn't even have a belt on, nope, just the holster on the waistband of my jeans, didn't shift anywhere I didn't want it to.
Old September 25, 2016, 05:07 PM   #24
DaleA

The thing is Targa, you might actually have a waist.

And by 'waist' I mean if you take your traditional 3 measurements and the middle one is the largest (like mine is)......well, you might have problems.

One friend of mine found he could forego his suspenders by using an 'economical' (not cheap) Uncle Mike shoulder rig that connected to his belt.

Sigh. Who was it that said 'if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!' ?
Old September 25, 2016, 05:46 PM   #25
Targa

Well that is true....I sure ain't no fitness model..