The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 09:35 PM   #851
Sevens

I'd be a bit concerned about a Wolff spring in a .327 Federal revolver if it might ever be used for defense. The .327 round uses small rifle primers and I've had some DA fails with a lightened hammer spring in my GP-100.

If just for funning, try it & report back. If for defense, I don't think it's a great idea.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:41 PM   #852
JohnKSa
Staff

At the very least, the gun should be thoroughly tested in BOTH SA and DA after the new hammer spring is installed.

The hammer strike from a revolver's DA pull is generally less energetic than the hammer strike from an SA pull and therefore it's not enough to test it in SA only.

I recall reading a self-defense encounter where the defender had "enhanced" his revolver with a lightened hammer spring and apparently hadn't tested in DA. When he got in a jam, predictably, he shot in DA because he was in too much of a hurry to cock the hammer. He got a number of misfires. Fortunately it didn't cost him his life.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:23 AM   #853
FrankenMauser

Thorough testing is definitely in order.
It was the first order of business, after changing springs in my (wife's) Blackhawk, and (later) the GP-100.

I wasn't worried about the Blackhawk, but...
The GP-100 does see some SD/HD use. So, I wasn't going to tolerate even a hint of light strikes. Everything went well, of course, so it still occasionally finds itself on guard duty with 115 gr Gold Dots (factory).
Old March 30, 2013, 08:54 AM   #854
Cesure

Quote:
The .327 round uses small rifle primers
The Hodgdon tables specify a Federal 200, a small pistol magnum. I'm planning to use CCI 550s.

I plan to test it thoroughly. Some people leave the factory hammer spring in and replace the other two and get the desired results.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:54 AM   #855
Cesure

I'm waffling between the 100 gr Gold Dot and the 115 gr Gold Dot for SD ammo. Neither are available at "normal" prices or otherwise, so I'm using the 85 gr Federal Hydra-Shok for now.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:12 PM   #856
FrankenMauser

Use whatever you can get. They're all decent loads.

I just prefer the 115 gr Gold Dot over the other loads I've tried - even with its 'low' muzzle velocity.
Old March 31, 2013, 07:48 AM   #857
Sevens

Quote:
The Hodgdon tables specify a Federal 200, a small pistol magnum. I'm planning to use CCI 550s.
Directly from Ben Amonette at ATK, the .327 Federal factory ammo is loaded with a CCI small rifle primer.

We've gotten enough evidence to know that the CCI small pistol magnum and the CCI small rifle non-magnum are the same primer. As for Federal, that jury is out.

I think it's a good idea to use the CCI 550. I would never consider using the Federal regular small pistol non-magnum.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:21 PM   #858
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I would never consider using the Federal regular small pistol non-magnum.
I have. It doesn't work.
You top out around .32 H&R power levels.

I use only small rifle primers for .327 loads, now.
Old April 1, 2013, 12:22 AM   #859
silvermane_1

anybody think that magnum research should have a .327 Fed. Mag desert eagle in the line up?
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old April 1, 2013, 12:25 AM   #860
Sevens

Not I.
Old April 1, 2013, 07:27 AM   #861
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
anybody think that magnum research should have a .327 Fed. Mag desert eagle in the line up?
If they could manage a 20 round double stack magazine that would be pretty cool.

Kinda like a PMR 20 on steroids.
Old April 1, 2013, 10:12 AM   #862
LOLBELL

327 dies

I just traded for a Blackhawk in 327 fed mag and now need some dies. I like Lee dies but do not see them listed. I'm wondering can you load 327 with the 32 H&R dies? If so how much additional adjustment is required? This maybe covered in this thread but I did not read all 35 pages of it. Thanks
Old April 1, 2013, 10:23 AM   #863
Sevens

Totally understandable that you didn't read the whole thread. Make that a rainy day project!

I use Lee .32 H&R Mag dies with complete success.

Worth noting is that for any straight wall handgun round (must be STRAIGHT, not tapered) you not only can use dies specified for the shorter cartridge, it is the better choice.

You can use .38 Special dies for .357 Mag, .44 Special dies for .44 Mag.
The opposite is not always true because then you have a die set up for a l-o-n-g-e-r case and your brass may not reach all the way up.

Also, make sure you visit this thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312
Old April 1, 2013, 10:57 AM   #864
Cesure

I'll second what Sevens said about the utility of the 32 H&R Mag die set. No problems at all and no adjustment necessary beyond the resetting of the lock nut that the longer case requires when expanding, seating and crimping. I'm new to reloading and I've managed it. Getting load data is difficult. Lee does not send any with the .32 H&R mag die set for either the 32 S&W Long or the .327 Fed Mag, both of which can be loaded with the set. Hodgdon has load data for both, but not with many bullet choices. The .327 is too new for most reloading manuals. The entire set of 32 calibers is left out of some places where lists of common calibers occur and some only list 32 ACP. Speer has great downloadable data sheets for their two Gold Dot loads for the .327, but they neglect to offer any for the other Speer .32 bullets.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:39 AM   #865
Sevens

Quote:
Hodgdon has load data for both, but not with many bullet choices.
...But there simply aren't many bullet choices for .312" jacketed. I think when you consider what is commercially available, Hodgdon does a fine job.

As far as I know, there are Hornady's 85 & 100 grain XTPs, Sierra's 90 grain Sportmaster JHP, the Speer Gold Dot component bullets, which I've not actually seen in the flesh (but have seen clickable links to them) and the Federal Hydra-shock, which I've also never seen. Beyond that, you are talking cast bullets or bullets below 85 grains in weight that simply are not designed (and can be dangerous to use) in the .327 Federal Magnum.

If there are more component jacketed .312" handgun bullets out there, I'd like to know about them.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:48 PM   #866
FrankenMauser

LOLBELL, pretty much any of the currently-manufactured .32 H&R dies have a deep enough internal cavity to work with .327 Federal. (I've seen mixed reviews about the Lyman dies.)

Personally, I use an RCBS .32 H&R sizing die. I bought the .32 H&R 3-die set (RCBS #21412). They are now selling exactly the same thing (under the same item number), but with .327 Federal added to the label.

I shoot .32 Auto, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal in my Blackhawk. ALL of them get sized in that RCBS .32 H&R die. It is the only sizing die I use. For the shorter cartridges (.32 S&W and .32 Auto), I do need a different seating die.
I believe my full list of dies, and how I use them, is in the reloading thread that was linked to above. If it isn't in that thread, it's buried in this one somewhere. (I use a combination of RCBS, Redding, Lyman, and Lee dies to reload that cartridge assortment.)

For .32 S&W Long, to .327 Federal, almost any .32 H&R die set will do the job. (Lee, RCBS, and Redding have been 100% verified to not only work, but to have been intentionally reamed deeper to ensure compatibility with .327 Federal after the cartridge was released.)
Old April 8, 2013, 03:14 PM   #867
LOLBELL

Thanks for the info guys. I have been kind of under the weather for a few days and am just now reading this. I will get the Lee dies and go from there. I think I am really going to like this caliber. I have about 300 pieces of brass but will be in the market for bullets. I have Unique and IMR4227 powders and plenty of primers. These are the two I use in my other revolvers 357, 41, 44, and 45colt. Maybe I can come up with a couple of good loads. I like a mild plinking load and a full house magnum load for each
Old April 8, 2013, 04:14 PM   #868
Cesure

Quote:
Beyond that, you are talking cast bullets or bullets below 85 grains in weight that simply are not designed (and can be dangerous to use) in the .327 Federal Magnum.
Nothing wrong with working up lead loads to the level they are capable of. Cast bullets are about all you can buy right now and if that keeps up, we'll want to cast our own and we'll need loads for them.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:16 PM   #869
rclark

For you .327 Federal people, here is custom :

http://www.gunblast.com/Harton-327Bearcat.htm

I like it for the nice small package....

Quote:
Nothing wrong with working up lead loads to the level they are capable of.
You'll notice the Buffalo Bore cartridges use 'lead' in the above review.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:48 AM   #870
Sevens

Okay, that revolver is ultra-cool. So many folks have begged and pleaded for a Single Six in .327 Federal... this one is even smaller. That's a lot of beef in a really small package right there.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with working up lead loads to the level they are capable of.
Please understand that when I mentioned "Beyond that, you are talking cast bullets or bullets below 85 grains in weight" my point was never that cast bullets weren't appropriate in this round (I'm loaded 115gr FP cast slugs from Penn Bullets), my point was that Hodgdon is unlikely to have a whole heaping helping of load data for cast lead bullets.

Most published data sources don't list a lot of loads for cast lead bullets -- because cast lead bullets vary WIDELY depending on many factors and unless it is traditionally a lead bullet chambering (.32 S&W Long, .45 Colt), then a large powder distributor like Hodgdon is much more likely to list a bunch of jacketed loads and leave the lead bullets alone.

Sized diameter, alloy, bullet length & shape, gas check or no...? A lot of variable with lead bullets that aren't conducive to nearly as much published load data.

Not that this is a real problem. Find a proper powder that works in it's range, start low and develop your loads. This is what I've done, and I fully plan to update that other thread with more chrono numbers as soon as I drag that stuff out to the range.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:33 AM   #871
Cesure

Does anyone else here have a Taurus Model 327? I'm looking for recommendations for a speedloader. I'm assuming the HKS 32-J would be close, but I would feel better if someone confirmed that.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:25 AM   #872
ThundarStick

HKS 32-J works fine, but I love the 5 star speed loaders!
Old April 13, 2013, 09:02 AM   #873
Cesure

I found them here.

Last edited by Cesure; April 13, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:53 PM   #874
Cesure

Starline Brass

I heard from Starline Brass today. They have 327 brass available and they're shipping my order out. You can order direct from them. Not sure when they'll ship to other retailers.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:24 PM   #875
glenncal1

Buds guns also has somke loaded ammo available, priced a little higher than recently. They have some defense loads too (this info accurate as of yesterday )

Many K and N Frames