The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
BigBang

Can you overload a Remington copy?

I just bought my first muzzleloader, a stainless Euroarms 1858 .44. Soon I plan on trying a bunch of different loads to see what I like, using Goex FFFg. I'm just wondering, is it possible to load too much powder and have bad things happen? Is pretty much anything safe as long as the ball fits and I'm not packing the powder down?
Old January 31, 2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Mark whiz

Ideally, it is best to keep your max load in 1858 replicas at 30gr of fffg.
You might can get by with more - but it isn't worth the risk.
If you want a bigger load than that, you need a pistol designed for it, such as the Ruger Old Armys or a Walker replica.
!
Old January 31, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Hafoc

Well, you have to load it properly. You want no air space between the powder and the ball. You want to put grease over the ball, or a lubed wad under the ball, or something like that, to prevent the flash from one chamber from setting off the others. And so on. There are lots of little tips and tricks, some for safety, some just to make the thing work better or shoot straighter. Read up on it so you know how to do it properly.

But you shouldn't be able to blow up a Remington with black powder. You shouldn't be able to blow it up with proper black powder substitutes, either.

You will, however, blow the thing up CAT QUICK if you use smokeless powder in it. Don't. Just don't.
Old February 1, 2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Old Dragoon

I have shot my Euroarms with 35 Grns FFG and FFG real BP with no ill effects, I use .454 ball as the Euroarms chambers are chamfered so as not to shave led, the .451 balls seemed to be a little too loose for my liking. You will find that they are shooters!
Old February 1, 2007, 05:01 PM   #5
mec

You can compress a 40 grain load under a ball and the only danger is that you might break you loading lever off where the screw goes through.
Old February 1, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
faraway

Quality pistol no major safety issues with the heavy loads, as noted you aren't likely to blow it up if properly loaded. However, a Remington with heavy loads will sometimes do the following; the rammer will drop out of its lock, and not uncommon when this happens for the cylinder pin to start to move forward. (on the early models of the Remington Army, that's why they had to give up on the rammer slotted to pull the cylinder pin forward, with milder charges the pin was moving out and jamming the cylinder) Also the cap is more prone to blow apart and jam the works.
Really heavy charges, better off with something like a 3rd model Dragoon. Both the Remington and 1860 Colt were designed for relative power vs handling...the Dragoons the heavy charges, and a nuisance to carry