The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

A review of the Handloader DVD disks.

I sprung for the 20 DVD set of Handloader disks so I figured I would post a quick review. They are not cheap, about $400 to subscribers and $600 to non-subscribers. If you subscribe you get the disks and a free one year renewal as part of the package.

The basic package is 20 DVD's. Each one is basically "full" and has a lot of detail in it. They scanned ever page of every issue of the magazine back to 1966 and up to 2005. The actual data files are Adobe PDF's and cover the whole magazine including the advertisements.

They give you a searchable listing file for the complete set of disks or you can search each disk or even each issue/year. Searching is very very easy to do. I followed the enclosed instructions and copied all of the disks to my hard drive (53.5 gigs by the way). I then did a select and copied and put all of the PDF's in one directory along with the index file for searching. Now you can open up the index file and type any topic in and see where it was mentioned.

For example: One of my favorite topics is the 38/44 round (or the 38/44 Super Police as it is sometimes called). Searching on 38/44 give me 178 hits in 33 documents. Impressive to see some of the older comments and thoughts on the round.

General observations. I guess I was surprised at how much more "technical" the magazine was 20 to 40 years ago. If you just scan the 1960's/70's issues, and just page through them on the screen, you see a lot more formulas, graphs, and measurements then the current issues. I have not read enough of the older issues to say they were "better" or "worse". I do see that there is a lot more information to be gleaned from the magazine then just "pet loads" which is sort of what I was after.

I was also interested to read about the history. It is interesting to read about say the 25-06 in the pre-standardized days. Or reading up about the 788 Remington rifle when it first came out. Also it is interesting to look back at just the bullets that were offered. The Speer handgun line does not have many Hollowpoints back in the late 60's and 70's (which is what I remember as a kid). I also found it fascinating how the loads have changed over time. Go and look up in say Pet loads, or the loading bench what was recommended then verses says 2005 and it is quite and eye opener!

All in all I would rate this as a very good buy for a dedicated handloader. I know I will enjoy reading my issues as I get a chance, but in the mean time, the searches are GREAT!
Old December 22, 2005, 07:42 PM   #2
BCBR

Thanks

I will copy this thread and used to reaaally luv to read.
Also have given some serious thought on trying to learn to handload.
Old December 22, 2005, 08:08 PM   #3

Yes, I thought a little bit about buying them.
I don't think I am willing to spend that kind of money. But, I find that kind of stuff really interesting. I have purchased random copies of old handloader magazines to see what they were saying thirty years ago.
I was surprised the disks were as expensive as they are.
I am not usually this cheap, I guess I am getting old. I actually asked myself if I would really use them.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 24, 2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

So far I have found them quite interesting. I started out searching them for 2400 loads for 357 magnum. Interesting to map out how the loads changed over time.

I bought them because I work internationally a lot. When you are alone, stuck on a boat for say 60 to 90 days and no one else speaks english, they you need some activity and you cannot bring enough books. Thus the disks were perfect. Dump them on an external hard drive and read them to my content.

I would not have bought them if it were not for my job. To much of the information is available on the web if you learn how to cull the wheat from the chaff. I do so by searching a lot, saving every thread to my hard disk I read and then sorting and collating them. This just adds more depth to my collection of digital information about my hobby.

The next big push will be to figure out how to buy all of the old reloading manuals and somehow get them digital. I have been debating starting to hit the used books stores online and buying them. After I got a duplicate copy I would belt sand off the binding, and then run them through the scanner at work and make my own digital versions. Slow, but if you are methodical enough you can get anything done.
Old December 25, 2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Kamicosmos

Quote:
Slow, but if you are methodical enough you can get anything done.
Reminds me of the Penquin's line in Batman Returns after he taped together all those shredded documents:
It's amazing what you can accomplish with a little patience and a LOT of tape!

I've thought about that set a little too. Although, 20 DVDs at 4.5 GB each = 90 GB, but you say the install is only a total of 53 GB?

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old December 26, 2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

Not all of the disks are 100% full. They did it by years so you have a bit of excess space on each disk also you have the search materials overhead.

Good buy all in all. Lots of fun to just search and play with.