The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2016, 09:38 AM   #1
steveNChunter

Loading a DPMS .308 for wild boar

Some friends and I are planning a trip in the spring to hunt trophy European/Russian boar. I recently purchased a DPMS Oracle .308 with hog hunting in mind. I have loaded for my .308 bolt gun for a few years for deer using a 150 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter and close to max charge of RL-15.

I think it would be wise to use a bit tougher and probably heavier bullet for boar. I also want the load to be accurate in the 16" 1:10 barrel and function well with the DI gas system. Also interested in your opinions of whether or not I need to crimp. I've done a good bit of reloading but this will be my first venture with a .308 AR.
Old December 18, 2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Jimro

Crimping is optional, but not a bad thing for an autoloader. I like the results of the Lee Factory Crimp die on a bullet with a crimping cannelure, as it will prevent bullet setback due to a miss feed.

With 308 Win velocities, you don't need an ultra premium bullet, but an ultra premium bullet won't hurt either. I like Hornady Interlock bullets for 308 Win, but honestly any standard weight hunting bullet from 150 to 180gr will take down a boar.

Reloader 15 is a fine powder for the AR platform, but it may not be optimal for your short gas system and short barrel. Not sure how much you care about maximizing velocity. I think H4895 is about the best choice for optimization, but honestly the animals won't be able to tell a difference.

Good hunting!
Jimro
Old December 18, 2016, 11:38 AM   #3
oldscot3

150 Pro Hunters and RL 15 in the Winchester 308 go together like peas and carrots. I can't imagine what kind of pig can withstand that.
Old December 18, 2016, 11:55 AM   #4
steveNChunter

I figured the 150 grain Pro hunters would do the job, but I'd read several threads that said bonded bullets were a must if you hit the "armor plated shoulder" on a big boar. Also there seems to be a general consensus that 168-180 grain bullets are more accurate in the DPMS .308's. I know I'll have to just try something and see how it shoots, but I like to try to make an educated guess before I start ordering components.
Old December 18, 2016, 12:19 PM   #5
ed308

I've used SP .308 bullets on hogs in my Bushmaster AR10 with good results. I've also used Hornady SST bullets and Nosler Accubonds. Any .308 hunting bullet should work. I would go with the most accurate load you can work up since shot placement is key with hogs. Regarding crimp, I crimp my AR10 loads with a Lee Factory Crimp die. I setup my die with only 1/3 of a turn. Lee recommends a 1/2 turn. Does not affect accuracy. The brass you've used in your bolt guns will likely work in the AR10 since they have loose chambers.
Old December 18, 2016, 03:59 PM   #6
GeauxTide

At the lower velocity of the 16", a standard bullet will be fine and dandy.
Old December 19, 2016, 09:43 PM   #7
steveNChunter

I've got several powders suitable for 150-168 gr .308 loads. Are there certain ones that are better suited for my carbine gas system? Varget, RL-15, IMR 4895, W760 are a few off the top of my head, I may have more that will work. I want the load to be stone cold reliable in a DI gun.