The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 3, 2015, 09:46 PM   #26
A pause for the COZ

I have a much better solution....

Since 80% of ALL violent crime is committed by 10% of the criminals.
I suggest instead of allowing these scruff muffins to rotate through the system over and over and over. Making boat payments for Lawyers and keeping the Legal system,and law enforcement employed.
How about we keep them in prison??? At least past the trouble making years.
Not a whole lot of 45 year olds running with gangs.

Then lets actually treat people who have mental illness. Basically our county jails are our mental facilities.
Lets re open our mental hospitals. Help these people for Gods sake.
Old September 4, 2015, 09:09 AM   #27
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
While I am sure this is not news to many of us who remember her husband's Administration, I thought it a worthwhile reminder for newer gun owners who may not be aware or even old timers who didn't realize that Hillary wants to go far beyond the 1990s gun control signed by Bill Clinton.
Indeed. Revisiting this sort of thing can develop a sort of institutional memory amongst younger voters.

The old DLC wing seemed to be more than window dressing, offering spots for the sorts of democrats were being pulled in opposite directions by their voters and the national parties.

If memory serves, Al Gore was once sufficiently supportive of 2d Am. rights to pass the scrutiny of his homestate voters, but he shifted along with his national ambitions. Other pols I've known have done this with issues beyond the scope of this board.

It is reasonable to predict that as Hilary heads into a general election she will blunt criticism by being publicly less antagonistic to the 2d Am. right. To know the degree to which such a move is insincere, it helps to know where she has been in the past.

That longer term assessment is valuable for some of the republican primary candidates as well.
Old September 9, 2015, 03:26 PM   #28
JJ45

I thought this wasn't a political forum.
Old September 9, 2015, 05:04 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It is reasonable to predict that as Hilary heads into a general election she will blunt criticism by being publicly less antagonistic to the 2d Am. right. To know the degree to which such a move is insincere, it helps to know where she has been in the past.
I honestly don't think she feels the need to tone down the rhetoric. Her echo chamber has been telling her gun control is inevitable and unbeatable. Lately, they've gone from using the NRA as a strawman to attacking gun owners in general. That shows confidence. She's likely to follow (what she perceives as) that wave.

Let her. It'll scare off moderates, who are still the 800lb political gorilla in the room.

Quote:
I thought this wasn't a political forum.
It's not a forum for pure politics. Discussions about Senator Whipple's mistress or Governor Thornhump's embarrassing Instagram pictures are off topic.

Discussions about things that directly impact civil rights are the very point of this forum.