The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1
spanishjames

Anyone else miss the boat?

I've been thinking about buying a new Ruger 10/22, but becase I didn't really need it, put off buying one. I even bought a couple BX25 magazines in anticipation of a future purchase. Well now because of "Firearmageddon" (thanks TunnelRat), they've jumped to $300.00 at Bud's. These were 211.00 just a few weeks ago. I'm sure they'll come down in price someday(I hope), but for now I just have to wait.

Anyone else wish they'd bought something before the panic?
Old January 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
solman

10/22 where?

Buds has been sold out of the 10/22. The ones on gun broker are around $400 and closer to $500 for the takedown model. I just had this discussion with a friend whom I urged to pick one up before the election. he didn't listen to me and is now sorry.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:09 AM   #3
SauerAttitude

This thing has me really stirred up at myself. I handled an AR at my local shop a few days after Sandy Hook. It was $899. I held the very same gun yesterday and the best price is $2100.
They also had what appeared to be a well used AR-10 on consignment tagged at $3500.
Hind site and Cristal balls
Old January 8, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4
spanishjames

Quote:
10/22 where?
Bud's had them yesterday for $299.00, and now they're sold out. So someone's buying at that price.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
zincwarrior

Just .22LRs. I'm fully stocked on everything else, but the utter emptiness of .22LR ammo caught me off guard. Not especially worried. In 6 months everything will be fine again.

I don't have ARs and never had a major desire for one. If magazines go to ten rounds for pistols I'll deal (aka my wallet and wife will be happy). My big desire (other then an M&P L for target competition which I can take or leave) is a nice old school 30-06 bolt action rifle. I'm good otherwise, and this almost makes me sad.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Xfire68

well "miss the boat" No but, I think if anything I got on the right one at the right time? I bought my AR's when you could buy almost any AR for under $1000 and I bought my S&W OR's for $550 a piece after a nice rebate from S&W. I ordered my. 22 conversion.and 2 new pistol's a few weeks before the last shooting.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
southjk

I missed the boat on a S&W Shield apparently. I had made up my mind to get one a month or two ago and they were hard enough to find before the CT shooting but now I've had no luck at all.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #8
g.willikers

With all the manufacturers and models out there, if one brand or type has become the flavor of the day, why not just pick another one?
When prices start going through the roof, and certain models can't be found, more often than not, something else very similar is being ignored, or less likely to be pursued.
Instead of the Ruger 10-22, in this instance, for example, why not get a Marlin?
Old January 8, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Joe_Pike

Nope. I almost bought another AR15 a couple of months back, though. The only thing that kept me from buying more when it was available was money. Now, I buy ammo to add to the stash when I find it. This week I've been looking at stuff like bolt guns and they seem to be easier to get. I did happen to run across two FN FS2000 bullpups yesterday for their regular asking price. Surprisingly, they are still there today.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:08 PM   #10
spanishjames

Quote:
in this instance, for example, why not get a Marlin?
Mainly because high demand for all things firearms has made the price go up. In the case of the tube-fed Marlin 60, it's sold out. Bud's only has the 10rd magazine version, which can only take the 10 round mags. I liked the scoped Marlin combo with the tube magazine. If prices come down some, and inventory comes back I'd gladly pick up a Marlin. Like I said, I didn't really need it, it was just something I wanted.

edit: I just checked Bass Pro, and they may have Marlins in stock.

Last edited by spanishjames; January 8, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Justice06RR

James, for the meantime you should look around your local pawnshops (if there are around your area) to see if they have other 22lr rifles in stock. Mine had 2 different 22lr rifles for under $200, although they are used. Still a good buy and cheap fun shooting.

Wait it out and see if you find any 10/22's in stock later on.

I was lucky enough to buy my 10/22 on Black Friday for $179
Old January 8, 2013, 10:19 PM   #12
ehenz

I hope they come down soon, sitting on nice folding stock.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:30 PM   #13
lamarw

Wish I had ordered ten thousand small pistol primers before the shelves were cleaned out. My stock has dwindled below two thousand. Although I did order six thousand large pistol.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:41 PM   #14
spanishjames

Quote:
for the meantime you should look around your local pawnshops (if there are around your area) to see if they have other 22lr rifles in stock
No pawn shops that sell guns, but a few small gun shops in the area. That's a good idea, I'll check some out. Maybe I could trade something. Like I said, no rush or immediate need.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:17 AM   #15
Achilles11B

I definitely missed the primer note. Small rifle primers might as well be golden alien teeth, they're at the same level or rarity.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:21 AM   #16
Xfire68

Quote:
I definitely missed the primer note. Small rifle primers might as well be golden alien teeth, they're at the same level or rarity.
Would small rifle Benchrest primers do it for you?

They are a bit higher priced then normal primers but at $31.69 per k or $30.63 perk if you buy 5k.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:02 PM   #17
Bigdog57

I've just begun to finally reload for my M1 Carbine, and have for 30-round magazines and one 10-rounder. Wanted a few 15 round GI mags. Not to be found at this time - dang!!
I did order a scope mount (tired 55 year old eyes!) and a scope though.
Hopefully the mags will be available again soon...... if the FedGov doesn't ban them first.
Most rifle brass I load is out of stock (nothing I am critical on), and bullets are iffy. I did find some .45 caliber 230 grain lead round nose at MidwayUSA for a good price - didn't really 'need' then yet, but ordered anyways as they are currently available.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #18
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I missed the boat on the Draco pistols. This was before the current panic and I didn't think I had to hurry. The price kept creeping upward and when I decided to grab one, they were gone. Same with the Yugo Krinks, PAP M92, thought the price was too high until they started going higher and were becoming scarce. So I drove 125 miles to a gun show the next weekend and when the doors opened I bought the only one there. Pathetic isn't it? And I could have bought one the week before in my own town but thought it was priced too high. Paid the same plus a tank of gas a week later.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:59 PM   #19
Jayster

Me too.

Yeah I missed that same boat. The Ruger 10-22 one.

Stopped by a shop today. They had the black laminate one.

Wanted 500 bucks. What a rip.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
Jo6pak

I was looking to get another 500rds of Silver Bear 5.56mm just to have on hand and thinking of picking up a M+P15-22......so much for that idea.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:12 PM   #21
BullseyePrecision

My lgs just got in a big stock of 556 and 223 and ars.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:15 PM   #22
rfroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
I've just begun to finally reload for my M1 Carbine, and have for 30-round magazines and one 10-rounder. Wanted a few 15 round GI mags. Not to be found at this time - dang!!
I did order a scope mount (tired 55 year old eyes!) and a scope though.
Hopefully the mags will be available again soon...... if the FedGov doesn't ban them first.
Most rifle brass I load is out of stock (nothing I am critical on), and bullets are iffy. I did find some .45 caliber 230 grain lead round nose at MidwayUSA for a good price - didn't really 'need' then yet, but ordered anyways as they are currently available.
Bigdog, where you located at?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old January 10, 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Xfire68

Quote:
My lgs just got in a big stock of 556 and 223 and ars.
That is only great news if the prices are reasonable?

If the price for the AR's are $1800 for a Bushmaster I would not be jumping up and down. If the ammo cost $1 a round I would not be excited either.

Stock is going to return. Lets hope prices do as well.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:52 PM   #24
kilimanjaro

10/22s seem to be $225-$250 here, at LGS, WalMart, and Big 5 Sporting Goods.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenz:
I hope they come down soon, sitting on nice folding stock.
D'Oh! That's gotta hurt.

In all seriousness, I think that it'll take a while for things to "cool off", once the uproar dies off. Everybody's just panicked right now and grabbing what they can.