The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
603Country

All of a sudden, the wife says....

"I want to go pig hunting." How about that. We've lived here in the country for 3 years and she has often said that she'd shoot a pig - but she never showed any inclination to actually try to shoot one. Recently we had a coyote about 5 feet off the front porch, and hogs have been rooting dangerously close to flower beds. She told me that I needed to "get busy and shoot em", and I said that "I could use some help". So I guess today is the day. Man, I sure hopes she gets a shot at either a pig or a coyote. I'll put her in my best blind and I'll give her my favorite pig medicine (the Ruger Compact in 260, which I bought for her in the first place, but have since adopted for my own use). This may be the start of something fun. She usually outfishes me, but I'd just as soon she not outhunt me. That could damage my male ego....
Old October 28, 2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Rebel9793

Good luck to her!
Old October 28, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3
rickyrick

They won't be quiet
Old October 28, 2012, 06:13 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Excellent. Mine will fish with me, but no hunting.
Old October 28, 2012, 11:24 PM   #5
SPEMack618

Eh, my first real girlfriend could out fish me any day of the week, and was often a better wing shot than I was. And landed far more ducks than I could have.

However, the real emasculating issue was her dad had bought her a Ruger Mini-Thirty whereas all I was packing at the time was a Mini-14.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:20 AM   #6
FloridaVeteran

SPEMack618 - man, that was a stab, unless you're real close and he figured you'd get it anyway. What did I get to give to my son-in-law? A .45-70. Daughter has zero interest in it and probably never will.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:19 AM   #7
gdvan01

Quote:
All of a sudden, the wife says....
Don't forget pictures of the aftermath...

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old October 31, 2012, 09:30 AM   #8
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVeteran
SPEMack618 - man, that was a stab, unless you're real close and he figured you'd get it anyway.
Ha, no such luck, not that I particulary want a Mini-30, but seriously though, how do you explain the intricacies of why the 5.56mm round is an effective military round, logisitical issues, and ammo weight to a 7th grade cheerleader. I blame that for our eventual breakup.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:23 AM   #9
FloridaVeteran

SPEMack - The key word in your post might be, or might have been, "girlfriend." Cheerleaders appreciate for far fewer years than they depreciate, from what I hear. Visually-impaired posters, and those willing to pay for enhancements might disagree. It's an issue as old as the ages. An old Roman coin is worth $xx. An old Roman bone usually is worth near $0. Best to know what you are up against before you have concrete poured on you.

Not saying a new gun is a better bet than a new girlfriend, but to have a potentially hostile future father-in-law would be a real deal-killer for me. Unless she makes $100K+ a year, in which case she can bring home all the game she wants to kill and I'd gladly clean and freeze or cook it.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10
SPEMack618

haha, I traded in the cheerleader for a sucession of sorority girls.

Still got the Mini-14, still shoot the Mini-14, however, the current Lady's father is a fan of the AR- platform, so I now have a whole host of new challenges.