The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 23, 2012, 03:24 PM   #51
twobit

I can hear my 117 year old Winchester model 1892 laughing from within the gun safe.... and it is at home 35 miles away from here!
Old January 23, 2012, 08:01 PM   #52
Gehrhard

You are the same guys who laughed at improvments over the Volcanic. Were dismayed when a shirt manufacturer bought them out. You knocked a forearm on the Henry. Cried when they added the King's Patent loading gate. Thought centerfire cartridges and smokeless powder were a fad. Were disgusted by a vertical bolt lock and high-pressure cartridges. Thought angle-eject was a perversion. Optics on a lever were sacrilage to you.

You are all old fuddy duddies but Mossberg and I, we are forward looking.

Old January 23, 2012, 08:09 PM   #53
TX Hunter

I wonder if you could buy the colapsable butstock as an option ? No guys Im serious, Ive got to start getting ready for Grand Kids, in the next several years. I love the 30 30 cartridge as a first Deer Rifle, and if I can adjust the buttstock thats a plus, then when the kids are done playing with it, I can return it to normal. Ohh, dont look at me that way, Im not gonna mount a flashlight on it.
Old January 23, 2012, 08:12 PM   #54
tmlynch

Quote:
Ohh, dont look at me that way, Im not gonna mount a flashlight on it.
With no flashlight on it, how will you see the hogs at night?

Regards,
Tom
Old January 23, 2012, 08:42 PM   #55
TX Hunter

Good point, HMM, Mossberg may be on to something.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:03 PM   #56
Hawg

Quote:
You are all old fuddy duddies
And damn proud of it. Angle eject is a perversion and optics are sacrilege.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:38 PM   #57
Dr. Strangelove

Bwhahahhaha!

Mossberg must have lost a bet with Winchester.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:15 PM   #58
Gehrhard

When's the first "space movie" this'll appear in?
As for buying the rear as an aftermarket product, I don't know what other guns it may fit than a Mossberg, but, knowing Mossberg the "replacement part" will not be available separately for many months.
Old January 25, 2012, 05:19 AM   #59
Hawg

All the steam punk kids oughta like it.
Old January 27, 2012, 09:33 PM   #60
Gaucho Gringo

Mossberg makes this same rifle in traditional wood and blued steel. I personally prefer the traditional model. If I was hunting in conditions like the people in the History Channel's program "Swamp People" I would want a composite stock and durable non rusting finish on the metal parts. For this kind of use it is too bad they don't make a gun like the old Remington Nylon rifles that came out in the 60's. I thought they had all the appeal of a day old roadkill, but they could take abuse that would leave a normal rifle a pile of rusting junk and still fire. I would hope the firearms world is big enough for all kinds of guns to be accepted.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old January 27, 2012, 11:24 PM   #61
Gehrhard

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony... Da da da daaa...
Old January 28, 2012, 05:22 AM   #62
Hawg

Quote:
I would hope the firearms world is big enough for all kinds of guns to be accepted.
Nope, not that thing. Not in my world anyway.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:36 PM   #63
Double Naught Spy

Looks like a great little hog or varmit gun to me, but seems to be missing the top rail for optics or night vision. Having a stock that you can adjust means being able to make the gun more compact when you need it to be or stretched out when you need it to be. A full draw length stock can be cumbersome in some stands and more difficult to use from some prone positions where a shorter stock would be more beneficial. It can be hard to hold a light in one hand and run a rilfe in the other when night hunting.

XS Sights had announced a tri-rail for the Marlin 1895 a few years ago, but it never made it to market and I was disappointed.