The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 29, 2017, 02:53 PM   #1
pgb205

Is this a fair deal on sks these days?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo...-condition-pti
399+20 hand select with shipping for a grand total of 450

I'd rather buy something that is in un-issued/excellent condition but unfortunately can't find one online.

From browsing this seems to be a fairly good price for good quality sks, but I thought I'd get opinions from people before buying.

Last edited by pgb205; August 29, 2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old August 29, 2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Hanshi

I don't know about now; but years ago when I got my two, the were right around the $100 mark.
Old August 29, 2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Blindstitch

It doesn't look bad as long as the hand picked ends up like the picture.
Old August 29, 2017, 06:46 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

I bought a used one with an aftermarket stock this year for $250. Norinco. Bore is still good, shoots good.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old August 30, 2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Skans

You can find them at gun shows in the $300 range. Not on a dealer's table, but folks walking around trying to sell them.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:25 PM   #6
tubeshooter

Believe it or not, for today that is about right. For some reason the SKS climbed in value over the last year or so. I was surprised to see it.

Not a wonderful price, mind you. I saw one not too long ago for $300, but it had an aftermarket stock and no bayonet if I remember correctly. But for a clean specimen $400 is okay. I think a nice Russian one might even bring closer to $500.

I can appreciate how unhelpful "what they used to cost" is to your question, so I will spare you that.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:39 PM   #7
ColoradoMinuteMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205 View Post
https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo...-condition-pti

399+20 hand select with shipping for a grand total of 450

I'd rather buy something that is in un-issued/excellent condition but unfortunately can't find one online.

From browsing this seems to be a fairly good price for good quality sks, but I thought I'd get opinions from people before buying.

While it is the dealer going rate for the past few years, you can find them cheaper from private parties. I routinely see them for $350 on armslist and you can find them with aftermarket stocks under $300 from private parties fairly regularly. There seems to be slight downward pressure on these. classic was routinely selling for $429 and now seems like $399 is a fairly common dealer price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)
Old August 31, 2017, 03:59 AM   #8
kozak6

That's a fair price for a Yugo SKS, especially if it's in great shape. I'm not convinced hand selecting is generally worthwhile.

$350 is doable for a Chinese SKS, but I'm not sure there is a single one that hasn't been forcibly violated with a Tapco catalog.
Old September 2, 2017, 09:10 PM   #9
Skarekrow88

I just ordered one of these today. Watched some unboxing videos of some guys who did the hand select option and it paid off for them so I went with it. We'll see if it was worth it.

Southern Ohio Gun was selling their Yugos for $419 not long ago but they quickly went up to $459 with a $10 hand pick option. Haven't been able to find any elsewhere.

I could've had a very good condition Russian SKS for $549 from my
local Gander Mountain that was closing down. I'm still kicking myself for hesitating on it but not so much now that I found a Yugo.

It's been a long time since I've seen any SKS that wasn't in awful shape for less than $399. So to answer your question, yes very fair (if you ask me)
Old September 4, 2017, 10:21 PM   #10
GLK

I paid $375.00 for a Chinese NORINCO "carbine"<(for lack of the correct term) that took removable standard AK-47 mags. Back in the 1980's IIRC their basic top loading rifle cost were $79.00 each or less if bought by the case.
Old September 5, 2017, 03:53 AM   #11
jimbob86

Forget the price: that is numbered in Dollars..... of which they make hojillions every day ,,,,,, Rugers? Not so .....
Old September 22, 2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Skarekrow88

The hand select on the Serbian Police SKS from Classic Firearms was worth it. The finish on the metal is immaculate. All matching serial numbers and the wood hardly has a ding in it. I'm not sure that it was ever issued out. If it was then the officer that had it either really cared about his rifle or had a very cushy post.

Last edited by Skarekrow88; September 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old September 22, 2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Model12Win

The Yugos are quality good shooters in good shape. Yes that is a fair price for an SKS in good shape.

The Yugos have amazing milling on the g-launcher and flip ups. They even have radium sights, most are dimmed out though. They even have tritium vials on late hard to find models.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:00 PM   #14
Danoobie

Just two things.

One, with the grenade launcher mount these rifles are front heavy,
unlike the more balanced Russians. Pro-if you don't mind the awkward
front weight, they are faster on target with follow up shots.

Two-there is no mention of bore condition in the ad at all. If it's a
clean bore, it's worth the money, if you really want an SKS, IMO.
Old September 22, 2017, 09:00 PM   #15
Grumpy_Bottom

I was on the fence about doing the same about 6 months ago, but held off after deciding I'd rather trade some "newness" for a chrome lined bore...ended up finding a Norinco on GB for $290 (and spent $19 more on a folding chinese bayonet) which turned out to be an amazing shooter in surprisingly good (but not immaculate) condition. I'm happy I waited.

Tags
sks