The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2015, 07:56 PM   #76
TheNatureBoy

Its been about 2 years since I last purchased .22 ammo. Got a box of 225 through a friend that works at Wal Marts sporting goods department. Last time I held a brick in my hands the shop owner wanted $79 plus tax for it. I respectfully declined. Besides, I don't shoot my .22's much anymore.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:00 PM   #77
WVMountaineer

Politics belong in the discussion. Anyone that doesn't recognize that there is a political element(liberal), that is trying to limit, eliminate, or handicap the law abiding American citizen from purchasing ammo, guns, or anything related, is just being naive or, is absolutely part of the conspiracy to do so. It doesn't take scholar intelligence or a sociology degree to see that reality. What it does take is the willingness to acknowledge the responsible party/parties attempting this and acting accordingly. If we let them, these people will take our freedoms and our Bill of Rights away from us. Regardless of what party they represent.

If everyone would look at it like this, we wouldn't be having these discussions. The sole intent of the America our founding fathers and following leaders intended was not to be as is today. We are run by dictators of two parties. Men that decide for the future of America based on the betterment of themselves. Not on the will of the people. From where I stand and the facts present, both parties are guilty. One is just more outspoken and empowered to do so. Beat that one back and then, restructure the other. God Bless
Old April 28, 2015, 11:05 PM   #78
Clark

If you try to quantify the control loop in supply and demand, at some point it goes through human emotions and the quantification is less scientific than chamber pressure measurement. We know there is some gain there, and we can sort of bound it, but it is very fuzzy... like chamber pressure. You are not going to validate and verify all the way back to NIST.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 29, 2015, 09:08 AM   #79
CowTowner

Quote:
Anyone that doesn't recognize that there is a political element(liberal), that is trying to limit, eliminate, or handicap the law abiding American citizen from purchasing ammo, guns, or anything related, is just being naive or, is absolutely part of the conspiracy to do so.
Actually, I disagree with this portion of your post.
I have liberal friends that are strong proponents of the RKBA. Add to that a couple of them also reload, hunt, target shoot and collect firearms.
I think the correct "element", if one is really required, is anti-gun individuals and groups. Yes, politics is part of the discussion. But the sweeping generalization(s) shouldn't be.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 29, 2015, 09:50 AM   #80
Clark

I know another engineer who is hundreds of pounds overweight, and says, "I am your worst enemy, a liberal with a gun!"

He is kind of scary when he says that.
And his family goes on picnics with other liberals with guns families, where they eat and shoot.

Back on hoarding.... I have been hoarding barrels for decades.
Last year it took 9 months for my Shilen select match barrels to arrive.
It is ok if I hoard, but other people hoarding barrels is making trouble.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 29, 2015, 04:32 PM   #81
Gravedigger56

Speaking of hoarders and limits, the practice of limiting ammo purchases are pretty much worthless. On another forum a member was bragging because he was tipped off by an employee at a local chain store so he had his entire family go and each buy the daily limit for him. He was bragging because he pretty much single handily bought the stores entire supply of .22 and .22 mag.
Old April 29, 2015, 08:55 PM   #82
WVMountaineer

There is no way in denying that a mans moral compass or beliefs can be determined by how he votes in the ballot box. To say any different is to suggest that men are not responsible for the decisions they make. The problems we have is men and women confuse this reality and blur the lines in such examples that you have supplied.

I know a lot of liberal voting people that hunt, fish, own guns, propose they believe in God, etc.... The bottom line defining if they truly believe what they profess is to support it with their actions. If they openly claim one thing but, support another with their actions, they are blurring the lines and fooling their self. Results are what all things are measured by. This situation is no different.

Back to the hoarding. This is precisely why politics are the defining element in this discussion. If the lines weren't blurred, there would be no need to hoard, stock up, prepare in the ways we have, etc....

Blame the fuzzy visioned American and the politicians they vote to get elected, not the manufacturers or the guy at the gun store doing what he is paid to do. Good evening gentlemen and God bless
Old April 29, 2015, 09:05 PM   #83
kilimanjaro

Jeephammer, your mistake was getting dressed before you went to the gun shop !

They're professionals there, they understand.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:56 PM   #84
Jeffm004

Any time the vote is truly needed from a "liberal" "pro gun politician", they can be counted on to vote anti-gun. Every time. They will back anti-gun judges and other anti-gun liberals. There are no pro gun liberals, just liberals that need your vote. For now.
Old May 4, 2015, 05:26 AM   #85
JeepHammer

Politics... Voting ONE issue is just crazy.
No point in keeping your 'Gun Rights' if you don't have a house to live in...

Just for the record,
A guy had a kitchen fire here on Friday, about 2 blocks from my house in town...

Lucky it didn't get out of hand, he had over 1,100 pounds of powder 'Stockpiled'...
And a 'C' type single stage press that wasn't even mounted.

No one bothered to count the primers.

No safe storage, just sitting in a closet and bedroom.

I'm sure the neighbors that were about 10 feet each side of his house would have been THRILLED about it if they had known it.

This is the crap that is going to get the hobby banned or severely restricted...
If we don't SELF regulate,
(or at least show some common sense!),
The government WILL do it for us!

------

Still doesn't beat the idiot that had over 3 million rounds of ammo 'Stockpiled' since the 50s that was rotting down in a falling down barn about 35 minutes from here,
But equally stupid...

Last edited by JeepHammer; May 4, 2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old May 7, 2015, 04:59 AM   #86
Brotherbadger

It's still reasonably hard to find specific powder around me at small stores. That being said, I can always find something. It might not be the powder I want, but it will work with the caliber I am reloading. If I'm really hard up, I'll go to cabelas(1 hour drive). That's rare though.

As for 22 lr, I don't bother looking in stores, I just buy online. I've probably bought 3,500 rounds in the last year without much trouble. Just gotta keep an eye out. For example, on Reddit there is a subforum specifically for gun related deals. People will often link to who has 22 in stock through that. Arfcom has a similar thread in the members section. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not. It beats running to Wal-Mart and trying to beat out the neckbeards.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 7, 2015, 08:51 PM   #87
psalm7

Local Walmart here had alot of Federal target .22lr today . I passed on theme I usualy look for CCI and Remington hollow points . A Walmart about a hour away has reloading and stays instock as often as not or I can drive a hour the other direction and go to a Gun Store owned by Barrett . Magnam pistol/.300 Black Out powder is a bit hard to find .
Whats a neck beard ?
Old May 10, 2015, 05:37 AM   #88
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Whats a neck beard ?
Neckbeards traditionally are guys who often have greasy hair, bad hygiene and don't shave(thus, they have beards on their necks).

They are the guys who would run to Wal-Mart every morning to buy 22 ammo as soon as it gets in, then flip it online or at gun shows. While not everybody who does this has the appearance of a neckbeard, they are still often referred to as such due to their ammo flipping tendencies.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 10, 2015, 10:37 AM   #89
Marco Califo

Stupid Spellers

Can we but this "Stupid" thread to rest, please.
Old May 11, 2015, 07:34 AM   #90
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Stupid Horders...
I buy local when I can,
So the gun shop calls and says they got 10 bricks of small rifle primers...
I get dressed for the weather, get lunch, show up at the gun shop, and all 10 bricks are gone!

The guy also bought up all 10 bricks of .22 Long Rifle ammo that came in.

It will probably show up at the local gun show next weekend for 1,000% increase in price...
JeepHammer, you are all over the place with complaining and whining. Heck you OP included so much complaining as to be contradictory to itself. Are they hoarders or profiteers? Make up your mind, LOL.

Then you point out that the local shop that promised to hold the ammo actually sold it out from under you. The problem isn't with hoarders or profiteers, but with your local shop for screwing you over. If the "Kid" sold the ammo being held for you, then it wasn't being held for you. It was still on the shelf to be sold.

Now you are upset with a guy with too much reloading gear/supplies whose house burned?

Heck, why do you need a whole brick of .22 lr. anyway. What are you, a hoarder?
Old May 12, 2015, 09:18 AM   #91
JeepHammer

I simply changed gun shops.
I have to drive about an hour, but when the guys say they have powder, primers, ect. and they will set it back for me,
It's there when I arrive.

If you don't think 1,100 pounds of powder, no rhyme or reason to the powder, just general powder, most of it unlabeled, in a spare bedroom is excessive,
Then you need to assess your ideas of things...

Common courtesy has been dead a while,
When did common sense go completely out the window?

If nothing else, Don't these people have any sense of self preservation?
Old May 12, 2015, 09:54 AM   #92
603Country

Wow! 1100 pounds of powder. To me, that's insane. These days when I'm in Cabelas I look for 22 ammo. I'd like a brick of ammo, but if they had 10 or 20 bricks, I'd just buy one.

It does tick me off that some folks buy everything they see, every time they see it. It does cause us 'normal' folk to overbuy because we don't know when we'll get the chance again. So we buy 3 or 4 or 10, when all we needed is 1 or 2. We tell ourselves that we only need one...and we hate hoarders....but still we pick up more than we need. I fight that logic every time I see a big supply of powder, bullets or primers. I finally have it whipped, except for 22 bullets. I want a dang brick of bullets, and I NEVER see one, much less a shelf of them. And I hate that Academy limits us, but bless them for doing just that...
Old May 12, 2015, 02:10 PM   #93
RickB

I thought hoarding was buying in quantity when prices are low, to ride-out high prices and/or low supply in the future?
Some other word will have to apply to people that buy at the highest prices in history.
Now would be a good time to hoard rimfire guns, not rimfire ammo.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:27 PM   #94
psalm7

I saw this kind of stuff going to happen 20 years ago and started buying box's of ammo in 2's . 1 Box to shoot and 1 to stash . I still do this and have plenty of ammo . I told shooters back then that due to the anti gun , laws / ban's being passed , social issues and other events it would be wise to have atleast a modest stock pile . I know several that have . I dont know any that regrett having a little extra .
This is the U.S.A if one wishes to have a arsinal then they are welcome to do so . In what other Country can the Citizens say that ? The firearm manufactures stepped it up and there is a surplus of firearms but the ammo and reloading manufactures cant seem to keep up with the demand .
Old May 12, 2015, 03:47 PM   #95
polyphemus

Quote:
A voice of one crying in the wilderness.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:52 PM   #96
psalm7

There's much more stupid'er threads on here than this one .
Old May 12, 2015, 07:20 PM   #97
larryh1108

Stupid spellers?

Quote:
Stupid Spellers

Hmmm, pot calling the kettle black?
Old May 12, 2015, 08:55 PM   #98
WVMountaineer

People never question or accuse the investors of gold as being stupid or hoarding.

Let's see. 8 years ago a fella could buy 5 pounds of R19 for $75. That same 5 pound keg today would cost you $150. Double the dollar or a 100% return on every dollar spent. Sounds like a pretty good investment.

Gold five years ago was around $1100/ounce if I remember correctly. It is worth 1195.10/ounce as of today. That's roughly a 9.5% return on every dollar spent.

Math say that if you earn a dollar profit for every dollar you invest, you have done very well and, a lot better than if you earn 9.5 cents per every dollar spent. Who's stupid or being neckbeards now?

Poor little whiners. You complain of capitalism as it's best. Don't like it? Prepare for it or move to North Korea. Your idea of common sense is why you are being held victim. Remember the gold, powder analogy the next time you lay down your version of what smart and sane people do. Instead of being mad at the hoarder and neckbeards, you might ought to ask some of them to show you how to invest your dollar. God Bless
Old May 12, 2015, 09:21 PM   #99
psalm7

Guess that explains why the flippers that try to grab all the .22's here are mostly retired older guys well dressed like ther out for morning breakfast at the Cracker Barrel . And bring there family and friends with them to get past the limits . The local big box started putting ammo out late at night to keep the line down . It works , guess these flippers dont like staying up late . I have heard that they know when the stores get thier .22's by watching the company's web site to see when thier local store is instock .
Old May 13, 2015, 12:02 AM   #100
Clark

To have perspective, we would just be grateful for all we have, but it it is fun to grouse about a tiny interruption in a luxury.