The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 15, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
daddySEAL

Best place to buy a sturdy, but inexpensive handgun safe?

I've aquired so many pistols that they won't All fit into my safe.
A Gun Vault - The Multi GunVault 2000 Deluxe Electronic Safe, similar to this one:
http://www.everysafe.com/Gun-Vault-G...X-GVT1003.html

I was shocked to see that I bought it 6 months ago for $85 and now it goes for $200 plus.

Are there any places around that sell sturdy "bolt down" safes with touchpads for anywhere near $150 (that are 10"x 14"x 12" or a little larger?) My wife wants to use my old one for jewelry and irreplacable family keepsakes

(used, even?)

Last edited by daddySEAL; October 15, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old October 15, 2007, 03:54 PM   #2
SAS Phantom

go to ebay and do a serach for vault there alot to choose from at a good price.

Here you go http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gunvault-GV2...QQcmdZViewItem
Old October 16, 2007, 08:24 AM   #3
daddySEAL

thank you, SAS Phantom

But I guess you didn't look at my link. That is the EXACT same one I've outgrown and can't get my last 3 pistols crammed into(my wife wants itwhen I get something larger(maybe 1.5 cu. ft). I saw another one there that would work:
http://item.express.ebay.com/NEW-in-...mdZExpressItem

BUT I cancelled/quit using my PayPal account for security and other personal reasons. I also hate sending cashier's checks across the country to people I don't know.

Any other ideas, anybody?
Old October 17, 2007, 10:33 AM   #4
daddySEAL

this is pretty much the size/kind I'm wanting, but it has no apparent fire resistant rating (?)
(I prefer ones that have touchcode pads, or electronic keypads like this, with a key backup....rather than dials)

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=SF009

anyone know where I could get one like this that was fire resistant also at about this price(or just slightly more), with those coded entry opening features?

It HAS to be boltable to floor and/or wall too as this is.
Old October 17, 2007, 03:07 PM   #5
daddySEAL

BUT....until I get a home security service by BRINKS or ADT (something I'll probably be able to afford sooner than a stand up rifle vault), I definitely will install this COOL amazing and inexpensive phoney surveillance cameras at my front and back doors.

Check this out guys!
http://www.thingsyouneverknew.com/we...%5Fpage%5Fno=1

COOL....Huh guys? !!
Old October 17, 2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Manedwolf

Target had on clearance for $19 (!) a SentrySafe electronic touchpad safe with a steel cable to lock it down. It's got two shelves inside. Holds two rows of guns stored grip-upwards in soft padded document dividers. VERY heavy, too. I think they're usually $200, but they have crazy clearance things at times.

BTW, crooks know about those fake security cameras, since they're all alike and look like cameras from a decade ago. All the mall novelty stores sell them. You'd be better off getting an actual outdoor wireless cam and putting it outdoors.
Old October 17, 2007, 05:46 PM   #7
daddySEAL

I'll check Target, thanks.

Did you look at the "camera" link?
(this is not an old looking style....and it talks too...Did you look at it and still think it wouldn't make burglers the feeling of passing on MY house, Manedwolf?) Please give me your opinion on that after you look at it, please?

Last edited by daddySEAL; October 18, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old October 17, 2007, 06:10 PM   #8
randersonabq

postal money order

I always send a postal money order for things like this. It gets the Postal Inspectors on your side if the recipient is less than honest.
Old October 17, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
The Tourist

One of my friends is considering building a room within his basement with walls built of heavy brick, stone, concrete and lots of rebar.

He then opined that a secure 'door' would be far cheaper to purchase than any size vault. Additionally, such a room would be easier to climate control, and could also be used as a reloading area.

At least explosions could be contained!

He had an enviable situation. He had lots of friends in the trades.

However, I do have a lower level to my home, and it already has an additional bedroom we're not using...
Old October 18, 2007, 03:01 PM   #10
daddySEAL

I wish that I had a basement.
I would do that too, friend.

But I don't....and am still needing a bolt down pistol (or any kind) of safe that is reasonably low priced....and about 16" X high, 14" deep, and 14" wide...or slightly larger.

Anyone know where I could get one, please?
(online or otherwise)

Last edited by daddySEAL; October 19, 2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old October 19, 2007, 03:37 PM   #11
daddySEAL

This is still the size (largest that I can afford).for price that I can swing with my tight money situation.

It is not fire resistant, but I think I have a solution. I'll buy some good fire/heat protecting 1"(or 3/4") foam....cut it into the right sizes to epoxy to all the outside surfaces, and still bolt it to the floor.

That way I'll get the benefit cheaply...but not take up any of the interior space I need...not costing the really high prices of theft AND fire resistance safes.

Sound reasonable?
Old October 19, 2007, 09:43 PM   #12
sholling

Try the Safe Outlet. I've been in their store and they really do exist and their prices seemed fair. Shipping might kill you though.
Old October 19, 2007, 10:59 PM   #13
a1abdj

You do not want to store your guns in a document safe, which is really the only inexpensive type of safe sold in your price range.

Sentry does make some fairly sturdy all steel safes. They are inexpensive, but also not overly secure. No fire rating. I'd look at those.
Old October 23, 2007, 07:38 PM   #14
daddySEAL

How about this one, delivered free.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...781&lpage=none

???
Old October 24, 2007, 01:11 PM   #15
MortalWombat

As a1abdj said, you don't want to store guns in one of those fire-resistant document safes. The fire retardant gives the safe a slight humidity inside that will cause the guns to rust.
Old October 25, 2007, 11:00 AM   #16
daddySEAL

OK, I see the point.
Does anyone know of a gun safe of the same(2 cu. ft, or more), keyboard entry, fire resisant and price?

(would it negate that problem, if I regularly changed a bag of silica inside the safe?)
I ALWAYS keep every gun well oiled with gun preservatives. Also I keep each inside a white tube-sock with it's make/model written on it. The oil, preservative, and sock enclosure would help, huh?

Last edited by daddySEAL; October 25, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old October 25, 2007, 10:49 PM   #17
a1abdj

All safes, by their nature, are fire resistant. Flame won't go through steel, but steel will eventually transfer the heat to the inside of the safe.

Safes designed to store paperwork, especially the inexpensive ones, use very moisture rich insulation. Trying to keep the inside of one of those safes dry would be like trying to keep the inside of a swimming pool dry. It just doesn't work.

They do make safes that are lined with gypsum board just like your big gun safes. The gypsum has a much lower moisture content, and will help insulate the safe to some extent. These types of safes are not nearly as fire resistant as the manufacturers would lead you to believe.

If it's just for guns, I'd stick with an all steel, non insulated safe. Sentry makes these as well. Burglary is far more likely than fire, and if worried about fire, I'd make sure you had insurance on the guns.

The thing I hear from safe customers is that they want to spend as little as possible, but expect something a jewelry store would use. If you want a safe that is dry on the inside, yet has a fire rating, they are available. Unfortunately, they cost more than the Sentry safes.
Old October 31, 2007, 08:29 AM   #18
daddySEAL

Does this qualify as a good one?