The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2002, 12:51 AM   #1
Jamie Young

What is a "tenon" ?

I am looking in the Brownells catalog at a rear sight for My Colt 1991A1 and it has 3 options; narrow width tenon, medium width tenon, and one that fits Springfield Armory slides. I know its not option 3 so how do know which one to get?

I tried to measure the rear sight with My caliper but I don't get any of the measurements they list. I guess I'm measuring the wrong thing?
Old July 13, 2002, 05:43 AM   #2
stans

The tenon is the little extension that projects from the bottom of the front sight. This is the part that extends through the hole in the slide and is swaged to hold the sight onto the slide. The narrow tenon generally fits pre-Series 80 guns. I am pretty sure the 1991-A1 uses the wide tenon, since the 1991-A1 sports Colt's larger sized sights.
Old July 13, 2002, 09:28 AM   #3
Jim Watson

SodaPop,

You are saying rear sight and talking front sight.
Which end are you really looking at?
The front sight has a tenon, as described by stans, the rear sight is in a dovetail. A set including both sights is specified by the front tenon, which Colt changed several years ago, the rears have been the same from 1911 to date.

You should know that installing a front sight calls for proper tools and technique. You remove the old sight by grinding it down or breaking it off and punching out the tenon or by just yanking it out with vice grips - front sights are not reusable. Insert the new tenon in the hole - usually takes some filing to fit - and swage it from the inside. That takes a solid clamp and support to hold the sight straight up and down and an offset punch to get a solid blow against the tenon. Then grind, file,or shear down the excess metal so the bushing will go back in, being sure not to cut off so much as to leave the sight loose in its socket.

The rear is simpler to change, but not always easy. You need a smooth-jawed vice to hold the slide, a brass punch and hammer. The sight drives out of the dovetail and the new one drives in. They are often tight in the dovetail, usually very tight, sometimes teriffically tight. You may need to file - with a special dovetail file - to get the new one in, being careful not to make it loose.

Me, I know a gunsmith.
Old July 13, 2002, 05:51 PM   #4
5pins

The tenon is the part of the front site that goes into the slide with a stake on front site, not a dovetail. Older Colts use a narrow tenon and the newer ones use a wide one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tenon.jpg (28.6 KB, 73 views)
Old July 13, 2002, 05:58 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Yes I am only interested in changing the rear sight. I just never heard of the word before and had no idea what it referred to.
Now I know!