The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2002, 10:11 PM   #1
redrider

Win mod 100 broke again

I have been having a lot of problems with mine. First I sent it to the shop when I could no longer pull the slide back, it was stuck. They said the piston had a little rust on it. I got it back and it seemed fine then at the range yesterday I fired a shot and the slide did not move or eject and it is stuck solid as a rock. Now that I have had two problems with it I am nervous to take it deer hunting. It is a .284 carbine that I got from my Dad as a kid and it shoots straight enough for deer. Please what should I do? Use it for a boat anchor or what?
Old July 13, 2002, 10:24 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

It sounds like something is interfereing with the rotation of the bolt. Not quite the same set up but I had a Remington 742 in the shop a few months ago with pretty much the same problem. In it, the bolt latch was bent and stuck in the locked position not allowing the bolt head to rotate and unlock. There could be a number of reasons yours has locked up. Rough, rusty chamber, bad headspace, burred or bent bolt ways, burred or dinged bolt body. It might also be a timing problem. I run into locked bolts a lot when converting or working on converted MAS 49/56s until the timing is or at least close to correct. One problem that will have to be overcome is that the bolt needs to be open to disassemble. I'm not a 100 expert but I have worked on a few. If you don't have a smith near you I'd be happy to look it over. Just drop me an e-mail. George
Old July 14, 2002, 04:21 PM   #3
Northwest Cajun

Red,
My Model100 is at the gunsmith now for the same problem.
I'll send you a PM
Cajun