The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 8, 2002, 09:43 AM   #1
Riss

HOW to modify gun into a BLANK firing only ???

Wondering if anyone had done this or has references on how to modify a real gun into a BLANK firing guin. Conversion could be permanent, smaller caliber, the less work to convert the better.
Old July 8, 2002, 11:51 AM   #2
stans

Revolvers require no work for conversion. Bolt actions and lever actions require the rounds to have a rounded, crimped case mouth. Semi-autos and full autos require rounded, crimped case mouths and a restriction in the barrel to trap the gas and cycle the action. That is about the extent of my knowledge in converting firearms to fire blanks.
Old July 8, 2002, 12:34 PM   #3
Ben Swenson

Riss,
If you want a real gun, buy a real gun. If you want a blank firing theatrical prop, buy a blank firing theatrical prop.

Do not try to modify either one to use as the other.

That said, there are some uses of blank guns that a real gun can fill in for.

You need to tell us what gun you want to modify and what you intend to use it for. After all, loading a shotgun shell up without shot will produce what could be used as a blank to scare birds away but would be very dangerous to use on stage.
Old July 8, 2002, 01:56 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Like Cordex says.....
Tell us the intended use.

Sam
Old July 9, 2002, 01:38 AM   #5
Riss

Excuse my omission. Indeed I forgot to mention the intended gun. Was looking for ways to modify a Sten sub gun among others, mostly for re-enactment work, As long as no projectile can come out is ok. Use of the original caliber ammo in blanks would be fine. Shooter would be aware to not use and there would not be live ammo near the gun. Since the result of attempting to fire a loaded round would be disasterous to the shooter. Mainly the Sten or any semi or auto would be the main question because of the function and autoloading of the firearm. Should a restriction be placed near the chamber or at the end near the muzzle ?
Old July 9, 2002, 11:06 AM   #6
Ben Swenson

I've seen several methods of doing this.

One modification I saw (an open-bolt subgun mod) actually fed blanks backwards into a firing pin welded inside the barrel. I have a semi-auto 1911 style theatrical prop gun (simple blow-back) that has a solid barrel with a ventilated chamber to allow some pressure and flash to escape during ignition. Many military firearms have blank firing adapters that you can buy (basically devices that screw on to the end of the gun to seal the barrel partially/completely to allow enough pressure to make the action to cycle). I've seen M1 Garands and M14s with specialized barrels designed to act as blank only rifles for cerimonial purposes (basically, a built in blank firing adapter).
Quote:
Should a restriction be placed near the chamber or at the end near the muzzle ?
This really depends on the design of the gun and the blank to be used.
For instance, a direct-blowback firearm in a pistol caliber (such as the Sten) could probably be made to work well with a restriction near the chamber. A gun like the M16 would either need to be converted to blow-back in the blank conversion process or would have to have the restriction somewhere forward of the front sight block.

If you are an accomplished gunsmith, modifying a barrel (and probably the magazines as well) to work for a blank gun shouldn't be too difficult. Otherwise, I recommend you purchase a purpose-built gun.
Old July 9, 2002, 05:21 PM   #7
dfaugh

Anybody else a little scared by this thread?

I have mental picture of some idiot feeding LIVE rounds into this modified (barrel blocked)Sten...with BAD results...

So, if you do this, do it in such a way that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a "real" cartridge to be loaded in any way!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 9, 2002, 06:58 PM   #8
zot

AK-47 has a screw on blank firing devive, its a smaller hole so the bolt will operate, most military weapons have some screw on or
use bayo-lug to attach blank firing device,I thought Sten used a different barrell, with a smaller bore to fire blanks, smaller bore
ups the pressure to blow bolt back, if you stick a cartridge with a
bullet, it would be a one shot deal.
Old July 9, 2002, 09:22 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

Dfaugh......You are not alone in your concern.
Many opportunities for serious screw ups.
Mechanical adaptation
Operation
Operational oversight
Storage.

Sam
Old July 9, 2002, 10:09 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

There may be a bigger concern. Who told you that if a machinegun fired only blanks it was legal? AFAIK, if it is or ever was a machinegun, even totally deactivated, it must be registered or it is illegal to own.

Making a full auto blank gun from a kit would likewise be illegal, as would making a semi-auto (blank or not) that fires from an open bolt.

BTW, as a general rule, blank guns are best made with no hole at all in the front of the barrel and an opening in the top well back from the muzzle. This protects against someone placing the blank gun to his head and pulling the trigger, which will seriously disrupt his brains shortly thereafter.

Yes, I know about movie guns, but the companies that rent them out have all the licenses and papers needed, plus most guns (especially machineguns) in the movies today are dummies. Some fire propane gas, but others are pure dummies and the sound and flash are added to the movie by the "magic" boys in the back room.

Jim