The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 10:25 PM   #1
angrytripod

870 magazine tube?

long time looker first time poster, after a search i was unable to find the topic i had a question about so here goes.

I'm looking to match the length of my magazine tube to the 18 inch barrel i have on my 870, does Remington make the necessary tube as one piece or does it have to be done via extension? im thinking a 2 shot extension will do the trick but it cannot have a sling mount or it will interfere with my rail.

thanks in advance!
Old March 30, 2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Until a couple of years ago an 870 with an 18.5" barrel used a 2 shell magazine extension that ended flush with the muzzle and gave the gun a capacity of 6 + 1 in the chamber. "Tactical" models now come with a single piece magazine that holds 6. I suppose that long magazine is available as a part from Remington.
Old March 30, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Virginian

Yes, and the barrels don't interchange between that new model and the 10 million others either. The magazine tube is silver soldered into the receiver on an 870, so it isn't a plug and play swap. They went to the longer one piece tube because so many people have issues with that joint where an extension meets the original tube. If done right there is no problem, but lots of people can't manage that.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
angrytripod

so virginia what your saying is that i need to find the 2 shell extension because i wont simply be able to swap out tubes? thanks again for all your help guys, very imformative