The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Technoviking

On-line concealed carry permit classes?

Anybody have any good or bad experiences with on-line concealed carry classes?

Sorry if there is already a thread on this topic. I did a search and found nothing.
"If we wish to encourage a society where citizens come to the aid of neighbors in distress, we must not strip them of the actual power to do something about crime." ~ Murray Rothbard, For a New Liberty
Old January 5, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Skans

To me concealed carry classes serve one and only one purpose - to obtain a license to carry. When I went to my "live" CC class, I did not learn anything close to being useful, except perhaps where I can and cannot carry (which I already knew for the most part). I think some people believe CC classes will teach them the basics about shooting. It's just not that kind of thing (in my experience)
Old January 5, 2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Moby

I didn't know there were on line CHL classes.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 5, 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

How many states accept on-line classes? I know my home state doesn't. The minimum is the NRA "Basic Pistol" course, which now requires 8 hours and a live fire component of at least 50 rounds.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Technoviking

Well, I checked with my County Sheriff and Iowa Code is written in such a way that they must accept on-line courses as well. I took the course from American Firearms Training and got my certificate. We'll see if the Sheriff accepts my application this week. Stay tuned!
"If we wish to encourage a society where citizens come to the aid of neighbors in distress, we must not strip them of the actual power to do something about crime." ~ Murray Rothbard, For a New Liberty
Old January 5, 2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Don P

Quote:
Well, I checked with my County Sheriff and Iowa Code is written in such a way that they must accept on-line courses as well. I took the course from American Firearms Training and got my certificate. We'll see if the Sheriff accepts my application this week. Stay tuned!
I take it by your post that your state does not require any proof of safe gun handling or proficiency in being able to hit a target.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Technoviking

Quote:
I take it by your post that your state does not require any proof of safe gun handling or proficiency in being able to hit a target.
That is correct.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:16 PM   #8
egor20

Quote:
Aguila Blanca
How many states accept on-line classes? I know my home state doesn't.
Virgina now accepts them, I know a few people who have taken them.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 6, 2013, 09:28 AM   #9
rickyrick

Cc classes have little to do with firearms.
Additional training you have to come up with yourself.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Pahoo

Not a perfect law but still as good one !!!

Quote:
To say the least as you don't even have to own a gun or ever layed a hand on one. It use to be that you had to demonstrate some experience but not any more. The problem back then, was that each Sherrif had his own way of making this measure. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #11
johnbt

For the past 10 years or so, the Commonwealth of VA has required employees to participate in yearly training on "terrorism" stuff - identifying, reporting, and even on how to complete the long form required in case you answered the phone and it was a bomb threat... keep them talking, gather info, etc.

Whatever happened to RUN?

Anyway, it was all done on line, even printing your own certificate of completion. There was no security, once you logged in with your name and password anybody could take the test for you if you so desired.

John
Old January 6, 2013, 12:05 PM   #12
johnbt

"I take it by your post that your state does not require any proof of safe gun handling or proficiency in being able to hit a target."

Neither does the Commonwealth require proof of proficiency before marrying and having children.

And I certainly don't believe that passing the little old driving test at DMV proves anybody is a good driver.

I can almost believe that a class requiring only 50 rounds of ammo allows some people to graduate with the idea that they're trained. They have a certificate that says they are, but they really aren't.

There are many ways to meet the training requirement for a handgun permit in Virginia. Proof of previous training, a hunter ed class, etc. It's all about the idea of learning to think about what you are doing and where you point the gun. The class isn't about learning to shoot; it's about learning when not to shoot and how to be careful.

John
Old January 7, 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
ShootingNut

One would think that anyone who obtains a CCW permit/license, would want to become proficient in the use of his firearm if new to it.
Meeting any requirement of shooting 50 rounds, and not hitting the "broadside of a barn", only teaches a newbie what recoil feels like.
Any person with a CCW should spend plenty of serious range time, with proper instruction. Otherwise forget about ever pulling the weapon in a stressful situation for self defense. JMHO
Old January 7, 2013, 04:47 PM   #14
willhud

The CCW class that my wife and I took a couple of months ago was pretty much a joke. A guy set at the front of the class, talked about some do's and don'ts for 45 minutes, and then took us to the range where we each had to fire a pistol 5 times at a target about 5 feet away. You didn't have to hit the target and at least when it was my turn, he didn't even watch me shoot, he was helping the lady in the next lane.

I believe the OP might be referring to an article I had read, where a state was offering online classes (I can't remember the state). The article talked about the number of out of state people who were taking the class and getting their CCW there because it was reciprocal to most other states. So instead of taking the time to go to a CCW class in their home state which might have harder requirements such as passing a written test, they were taking the online class in from that state.

I was raised with guns and hunting, but it was mostly rifles and shotguns up until I was around 17 or so. Then I went about 25 years without touching a gun. Now that my wife (who had never shot one until a few months ago) are enjoying going to the range, I plan on getting the CCW because it's good for 7 years and I have been going to the range practicing, but I will have to be a LOT more confident and sure of myself with a pistol before I consider carrying in public.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:21 PM   #15
ShootingNut

WI finally got CCW after Scott Walker became Govenor. No online classes are allowed here. The DOJ is still operating our program under a "temporary requirements", now the legislature will begin working on "permenant requirements". Now 4 hrs. of class, no shooting required.
I didn't need shooting instruction, but did find the NRA instructor class to be informative.
Personally, I believe the most important thing for a CCW to learn and fully understand, is what really constitues Iminent Threat and when you can lawfully defend yourself. They will always run you through a wringer if you shoot someone, you want the evidence to be very clear and plain. Or some high paid lawyer will do his best to nail your ass, on behalf of the poor dead
perp.
148K licenses in a little over a year, about time WI came around. Plus, our
Castle Doctrine, so we are not obligated to run out the back door when the Perp breaks down your front door.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:43 PM   #16
coachteet

In my state, there is a gun proficiency requirement, so online isn't an option here. I would make a suggestion though. Ask around about people's experiences with different courses locally. They aren't all the same by any means. The CCW test I took was open book, but even if it wasn't, they could have adequately covered the information needed to pass it in under an hour. But the state requires 10 hours of classroom and 2 hours on the range.

I have heard from friends their experience of how much their class hours dragged, basically just lecture, break, lecture. I lucked out with the class I ended up taking. The instructors actually put together a really great program, breaking it up from short classroom sessions, to videos, to guest speakers. What I found particularly eye opening and helpful were the live situational exercises in the afternoon. Each person in the class got to act out how they would respond in varying scenarios, and the instructors then critiqued the reactions. It got everyone thinking critically about real world issues beyond "I can carry a gun".

Point being, you have to do the classroom time regardless. It might be worth it to shop around for a class that gives you some additional benefit beyond the end result of completing the requirement needed to get your concealed carry license.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:49 PM   #17
rickyrick

Different laws in different states, here deadly force is justified to protect property. Not that many people would shoot someone over a car stereo. There is one instance where a guy used deadly force on a car burglar (blunt object) the perp survived but the police told the local news channel that it is legal to defend property.

Quote:
§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or
tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the
other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing
immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or
recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to
protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
This hasn't always been the case, these changes happened in the last few years.

Regardless of paid training you receive, you should read your state laws. You can garner lots of info from local papers across your state and see how these matters are handled.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:23 PM   #18
ShootingNut

ricky
I know TX is more like the "old west", which I agree with, but do I understand it correctly?
An unarmed Burglar has grabbed your laptop from your house, he is running out your front door, and you can legally shoot him in the back?
In WI they would throw you in prison for it. Like I say, I like the "old west" ways though.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:31 PM   #19
D.W. Drang

Maryland's CCW class is online. Orygun requires a class for their permit, it was easier to do this than to dig out my DD214 or Mrs. Drang's Basic Pistol certificate, and Sheriff Palmer of Grant County specifically indicated that he would accept this one.

It was OK. If you're a member here, you'd probably learn nothing fro it, though.
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 7, 2013, 07:00 PM   #20
rickyrick

Actually there's an "and" at the end which can be summarized as; cannot be stopped by other means or the other means will cause harm to the victim.

Make no mistake, if you shoot someone, the facts will be presented to the Grand Jury, but self defense cases are usually dismissed.

It'd probably take a lawyer to answer the laptop question, but the way I read it is if you can't stop them by other means....
I'm not going to shoot someone running away with my laptop, I don't think most people would.... Entering my house may find the bad guy in peril though.

Texas used to be more restrictive when it comes to firearms. For example, in the past the law read that you could have a handgun in the car if you were "Traveling"...this left law abiding citizens open to abuse by police and prosecutors..

The castle doctrine has been adopted. Laws have been clarified to allow people to protect themselves and others.

The CHL class is ten hours long plus range time. I think the background check is the states pride and joy, from what I've read.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:39 PM   #21
Technoviking

FYI - My county sheriff accepted the class and I received my Carry Permit yesterday.