The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 24, 2004, 12:28 PM   #1
gxi.llc

Remington 700

If I were to re-barrel a 700 myself, what are some good texts to read beforehand? Are there any pitfalls anyone has come across that I might learn from without making my own mistakes? What is the process for screwing the action onto the new barrel and getting the spacing between it and the the bolt face correct? How much work is it to finish ream the correct headspace? Would I be better off getting a smith to do all this, and what should I expect to pay for quality work?

Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old October 30, 2004, 07:24 PM   #2
Wallew

First, you need to be a machinist. Second, you need a lathe and know how to use it, see #1. Then the proper reamer (I just generally use the finisher).

And then you need a way to remove the old barrel and then install the new one. That means EITHER a hydraulic press or a well set up clamping system.

Then you need to have the know how to use all of the above.

14 months in gunsmithing school would do it. There MIGHT be a book out there JUST on rebarreling, but I am unaware of a book that covers JUST that.

OR, just take it to the gunsmith of your choice.
Old November 2, 2004, 12:07 PM   #3
PzB41

Hi Wallew,

I'm working with him.. turned him on to Krieger Barrels. He's likely going to go with them. Maybe even pick up one of those decent Chuck Daly mauser actions in stainless and send it off to them. Even covered Cryo treatment and picking up a good piece of wood from Steve Heilmann. Dunno who he's going to have do the finish work and stocking, but he's on the right track.

Pz

Current favorites in the safe: Pre-64 M70 in .300 WinMag, Steyr SSG69, H&K 93A4 and 91, M21, H&K USP (C), Colt 1911A1 & Anaconda, S&W M57.

Disabled Veteran (10 Years Active, US Army)
NRA Life Member
Graduate CST, Denver, CO.
Precision Rifle Instructor
Professional Gunsmith/Riflemaker
Student of Engineering
Old November 13, 2004, 03:14 AM   #4
bub1533

I am new to this forum, and I do not mean to butt in ... however here is a relatively new book on the market, I own myself, and but you might want to check out this book on the topic of barrel fitting... I know the author personally, he is a machinist, and he has been doing this for many years...

THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRECISION RIFLE BARREL FITTING
By: John L. Hinnant
Price: $35.00 (Softcover)

You can find it at this link... http://www.precisionshooting.com/books.html

Thanx and good luck!

DW
Old November 15, 2004, 08:32 PM   #5
gxi.llc

My project is taking shape

Yeah, I don't mean to insult anyone by thinking I can do a better job than a professional who has been through extensive training and gained invaluable experience in the field of their practice. I'd be offended if someone with no experience told me they could probably fly and land a 737 by reading a book alone. However, I do have experience in machining and welding, as well as assembly and disassembly of a multitude of different materials, and thought this project might be fun to try myself. I have been talked out of that by PzB41, as I don't want to end up with a rifle incapable of the accuracy I would like when Krieger's prices are so reasonable.

I found a Remington 700 on GunBroker for a steal ($299) and decided the price was close enough to the Mauser to make it too good to pass up. Even better, it had a lock on it that was later discovered to be un-unlockable, so it was cut off and the triggerguard and stock were damaged, thus lovering the price for me. I wasn't going to use any of that anyway, so it worked out nicely. I'm leaning toward the HS Precision stock and I'd need BDL hardware instead of the ADL which was damaged. Anyone know where I can get a steel triggerguard and floorplate cheaper than Brownells?
Old November 15, 2004, 10:10 PM   #6
DnPRK

Despite the puffed-up sense of self worth displayed by some in this thread, rebarrelling a Remington 700 isn't that hard. Brownells.com sells prethreaded, short chambered barrels for the 700. Brownells also sells the receiver wrench, barrel vise, chamber reamers and headspacing gages.

The only real trick to a Rem 700 is to heat the old barrel with a torch to break down the thread locking compound that Remington uses during assembly. The compound breaks down at a little over 250 degrees so there is no need to get the barrel red hot. Give the wrench handle a sharp rap with a hammer to loosen the old barrel.

bub1553 already mentioned a good book about rebarrelling. Another is "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" also sold by Brownells.