The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2013, 07:58 PM   #26
rdmallory

GaryCW,

See if you can find someone close to you that reloads and see if they will let you drop by next time they reload. I am between Daytona and Orlando if you are in FL.

I have all three set up. Some one mentioned Dillon 550B is is more money but you can buy it stripped now and prime by hand for not much more than the Lee.

I started with a Lee "nut cracker" then went to the turret, then to the Dillon.
Still use the turret for .223 and 5.7x28 sizing.

Doug
Old December 28, 2013, 11:53 PM   #27
bt380

I'm not sure why Lee continues to offer the same beam scale in its kit. It takes 27.589 days for it to settle out. I put a bump block above and below so it would speed things up, but it is still not as good as Hornady or other magnetic beam scales. I like the Hornady best. I also use the Hornady digital scale. I had to go thru a few scales to ifnd one that was accurate and didn't start to drift. Once you get a good one, it seems to be lasting and is great.
Old December 29, 2013, 12:17 AM   #28
JimDandy

Which Hornady scale? The expensive red one, or the cheapy GS-15 type freebie? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but wanted to make sure it was clear for others, especially those who may not know there are multiple Hornady electric scales.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:44 AM   #29
bt380

The digital scale is the GS-1500. I use the Lee beam scale to make a "weight standard" after ensuring the beam scale is accurate. I cut a piece of paper and trim it until the paper is a shy bit less than the ideal weight. Then I use an ink pen and make ladder marks on the paper until I get it exactly as close as I can get it to ideal weight. Then I use the paper to periodically check the digital scale to ensure there is not drift in accuracy.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:26 AM   #30
Garycw

First loading setup on a budget recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt380 View Post
The digital scale is the GS-1500. I use the Lee beam scale to make a "weight standard" after ensuring the beam scale is accurate. I cut a piece of paper and trim it until the paper is a shy bit less than the ideal weight. Then I use an ink pen and make ladder marks on the paper until I get it exactly as close as I can get it to ideal weight. Then I use the paper to periodically check the digital scale to ensure there is not drift in accuracy.
That's a good idea.
Would a digital jewelry scale work that weighs carats , dwt (diamond weight) & grains ?
Old December 30, 2013, 09:25 AM   #31
JimDandy

As it measures grains, I don't see why not. Reloading is measured in grains. As long as it's good for several hundred grains, it should be fine. I suspect a jeweler's scale was/is the prototype for most reloading scales.

Hornady makes 2 to 3 digital scales depending on your definition of scale.

The GS-1500 you get in the single stage kit is the cheapest. I don't own one, but from what I've heard, it's pretty hit or miss. If you get a good one, you get a good one, but you may have to try a few times to get a good one.

A lock n Load Bench scale is the middle or top scale. Like all digital scales it can run into issues from fluorescent lights, and drafty rooms. It comes with two check weights, I own one, and haven't heard anything bad about it specifically- just standard digital scale complaints already mentioned.

And the Autocharge which is a combination scale/dispenser that may not count as a scale in your book. A lot of people swear by this or the RCBS, Lyman, etc versions of an automatic dispenser/scale combo but from what I hear of how slow they measure a load, I can use a thrower and a trickler faster, so this saves more effort than time.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:20 AM   #32
Garycw

First loading setup on a budget recommendation

The scale I was looking at goes from 1.54 grains to 15,000 grains. How many grains are typical for .45acp? I'm guessing around 25 or less?
Old December 30, 2013, 10:51 AM   #33
JimDandy

Well a bullet could be up to 230 grains. While I've never felt the need, others have weighed entire rounds, 230, plus about 6 of powder, plus the primer and brass is (probably) somewhere in the 400 to 500 range. That upper range sounds more than adequate. The lower range is actually more disturbing without actually being disturbing.

Edit to Add: With that said, I imagine it would be fine, but I also think it's hard to find a better scale than an RCBS 5-XX beam scale. the 5-05, the 5-10 or whatever the other model numbers are.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #34
Ashbane

If you're asking about how much powder for 45 it's typically under 10gr depending on the powder of course. I load some in the 4-5gr for one type and up to 7gr for another. Like Jim said the Bullets go up to 230 plus the rest of the case.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #35
Wreck-n-Crew

I have had good success with 4.6 GR of Winchester WST with a 200 GRN LSWC bullet with a COL of 1.225" Nice target round.

Also 4.4 GR of WST , 230 GR FMJ FP COL 1.20" Average FPS 5 shots 792 FPS
Old December 30, 2013, 04:04 PM   #36
Garycw

Yes the powder was what I was concerned about. I wasn't aware I needed the total weight since I wouldn't be making my own lead. I suppose it will tell me the recipe in a loading book. I was just wondering if the jewelry scale would adequate for weighing powder. I wouldn't want any over powered KaBooms.
Old December 30, 2013, 04:23 PM   #37
markr

Dude, forget about that scale if it's range is 1.54 - 15,000 Grains.

A Pound is 7,000 grains.

You are going to want a scale that is sensitive to .10's of a grain, or, .5 grain or less. A lot of the reloading scales go up to around 500 Grains. You don't even need that unless you are weighing completed rounds of ammunition. Otherwise the Lee scale is around $20+ and goes up to 100 Grains and will suit your needs for weighing powder. The Lee scale is extremely sensitive, almost too sensitive, but it works. The people that have a problem with it are too impatient, or don't read instructions.

Go forth.

Washed up 11B1P
Old December 30, 2013, 04:51 PM   #38
Garycw

Thanks. I just realized the lee classic kit in looking at has the scale with it.
Old December 30, 2013, 05:18 PM   #39
markr

the Lee Breech Lock Challenger, or Classic Cast press in kit form is probably the cheapest way to get most of the stuff you will need to get started. You did say "Budget", so there you go.

Washed up 11B1P
Old December 30, 2013, 07:47 PM   #40
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
the Lee Breech Lock Challenger
That's my current setup. Upgrading next year to a progressive to alleviate the tired arm...

The Lee scale in the kit works fine but a little more tedious to set up and see the little .1 Gr marks. The LEE perfect powder measure works great. After setting it up charges are generally within .05 GR either way. No need to weigh every single pistol charge and leaves more time to do your visual checks.

If you start with that kit get 2 of these http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-...-bushings.html
They make die changing quick and accuracy stays dead on.

For powder, primers and bullets Miami valley shooting grounds has them as well as presses, press kits, dies, lube, brass and more at very reasonable prices.

Other places for bullets:
Lead (get the coated, less smoke and lead fowling) http://snscasting.com/
Plated http://www.thebulletworks.net/ (cheap and free shipping.
Old December 30, 2013, 08:22 PM   #41
Garycw

Thanks Curtis. FS Reloading looked like done good prices on kits. I'd much rather go to Miami valley shooting grounds though, if there prices are close. I've been going there for over 40 years. Just haven't been in a while.
Old December 30, 2013, 08:23 PM   #42
markr

I had good luck with Titan Reloading for Lee products. They are in the same town as Lee Precision and they buy direct. They had the best prices, at least when I ordered.

Washed up 11B1P
Old December 30, 2013, 09:06 PM   #43
Garycw

Same price as FS. I hope Miami valley will match there prices. It's Always better to deal local if possible