The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 12, 2006, 08:40 AM   #1
biglabsrule

serial #s marlin model 60

yesturday i bought an old marlin model 60 for 100 bucks at a local sports shop, kinda beat up, but more with love from long use, was wondering if anyone has any idea of what serial numbers go for what years? When i get home ill post the exact serial number it has, any info is greatly appreciated... ty
Old September 12, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
biglabsrule

ok the number is # 22510335 starting to think no ones gonna be able to give any kinda date or range of dates... just wondering, looks to be an older one but no idea, oh and took her out today and blew through 50 rounds in no time, holds 17+1 so much fun..
Old September 28, 2006, 09:28 PM   #3
prowlercrew

Age old Marlin

On Marlin-branded Model 60 rifles, the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture. For example, if the serial number starts with 18... The 18 is significant, for subtracting it from 2000 gives the date of manufacture for the rifle, 1982. Likewise, a serial number starting with 17 would be a rifle manufactured in 1983. Therefore your Model 60 was manufactured in 1978. .

This method has not been uniformly followed. It is valid only from 1971 through 1999. Prior to 1971, the first two digits indicated the year of manufacture. For example, a rifle with a serial number starting with 70... would have been made in 1970. Starting in 2000, this same old method has returned; the first two digits once more indicate the year of manufacture directly, with no subtraction required.

Happy shooting! I bought mine new in 1993 and have never regretted it. I've probably put 2000 rounds through her since then.
Old October 1, 2006, 11:00 AM   #4
dfaugh

Quote:
Starting in 2000, this same old method has returned; the first two digits once more indicate the year of manufacture directly, with no subtraction required.
Err... OK...But I have one that starts with "02", which would indicate it was made in 2002.

However, it was given to me by a friend before he passed away....in 2001.

?????????????????

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old October 4, 2006, 10:34 PM   #5
cpaspr

Dfaugh

could be yours is a 1998 (2000-02). As the years of the 21st century progress, sounds like it's gonna be difficult to tell if someone has a 2006 model (06-xxxxxxx) or a 1994 (also 06-xxxxxxx).
Old October 18, 2013, 12:32 AM   #6
robert321

to shed some light on the difference between a serial number begining with 06 being a 1994 or 2006, look at the length of the barrel, if the length matches the tube, its a 2006, if the barrel is longer it is a 1994. somewhere along the early 2000s they shortened the barrel for appearance reasons to match the tube magazine. Sorry for digging up this dinosaur of a thread, but I've used this forum to answer more questions than I remember about one thing or another and I figured it was about time to join the group and contribute my .02 worth